Couch to 5K Support!

Options
2»

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of the encouragement and stories of your own success with the program! Week 5 day 3 was yesterday for me, and I COMPLETED THE 20 MINUTE RUN! I was so relieved when it was over, and so proud of myself for being able to get through it. Obviously I've still got a few weeks left, but now that I've proven to myself that I could do 20 minutes straight, I can't wait to see what else I can do!

The key to running is getting the grey stuff between your ears to play nice. Your lungs and muscles might burn, but, you can get through that. When your brain doesn't play along ... you're screwed no matter how capable the rest of your body may be. Now that you've proven to your brain that 20 minutes is possible ... don't think about it ... 30 is possible ... 60 is possible ... maybe not as fast as you'd like right now, but you can keep running further and longer.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 3 and loving it! I tried C25K about 10 pounds ago and it was ROUGH! Pretty breezy this time :) Congrats on making it to 20 minutes!
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Long time listener, first time poster.

The post made me smile because I just finished the Zen Labs program a few weeks ago. I remember having the same feeling about the 20 minute run...it was such a big jump that I figured there was no way I could do it. I finished it...but the last 3 minutes was a haul. The last few minutes of the 22 and 25 run were tough the first time too.

But the program absolutely works. When I started I could barely run 3-4 minutes without being winded. I was in my early 40s and never liked to run. By the end of the program I was able to run 30 minute straight. I ran my first 5k 2 week ago. I had a modest goal of 31 minutes, hoping to run the whole way and keep a 10 minute pace. Between the adrenalin of race day and the competition of running against other people, I actually finished in 27:38. I made the mistake of running early at a very fast pace and slowed down a lot the final 3/4 mile. I was a lot more tired than my normal run....but it was a great feeling.

Once you get the base, adding time seems easier and easier. Sunday is my long run day. I ran for 45 minutes...and felt like I could have kept going. I've lost 17 lbs since I started the program.

There were 3 keys to me....

1. Get fit for running shoes. The few times I tried running in the past, my back would ache. I went to a store that specialized in running shoes. They put me on a treadmill, watched me run and recommended the type of foot support I needed. It made all the difference in the world.

2. Listen to music - Maybe it's just me, but hearing myself breathe makes me tired. I load up Pandora and just focus on the music.

3. Pushing through the first mile. Once I get a good sweat going and into the run, it's just clicking off steps...but the first few minutes in when I'm thinking about how far I have to go, it feels like a chore.

Stick with it. If I can do it, I know anybody can....
  • lizm223
    lizm223 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of a beginner's 5k program myself. I'm not doing the same couch to 5k program, but today I had a 45 minute jog/walk and I wanted to make it as far as possible jogging before walking/recovering a bit. I made the mistake of checking my app for the time/distance when I started to feel a little tired. BAM, it just wrecks your head and you immediately feel like you can't possibly do it because it's ONLY BEEN 10 MINUTES.

AVOID CHECKING THE TIME LIKE THE PLAGUE.

I'm a newbie myself so no expert advice but get some good music going and just go for it. I find that I try to run way too fast (which I guess is common amongst newbie runners) like starting out at a 9 minute mile pace, which I can't sustain and wipes me out quick, so my focus has been on slowing down. Try to go slower than usual to last longer. And it's okay if you can't complete each workout perfectly. As long as you feel challenged and continue to make progress, you'll get there. A few weeks ago I couldn't run a mile. Now I can make it to maybe 1.2, 1.3-ish. You'll get there :-)
  • Perksy80
    Options
    The biggest tip I can give is when you start your 20 minute run, slow down. when you have slowed down, slow down some more, then once you've done that, slow down a bit more.

Speed is not the objective. You don't need to win a race. you just have to run for 20 minutes. If you dont pace yourself you will run of energy early on. You can go faster once you are comfortably running 30 minutes 3/4 days a week. But first just run 20 minutes.

And remember, slow down some more! you will suprise yourself
  • nriviecc
    nriviecc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of a beginner's 5k program myself. I'm not doing the same couch to 5k program, but today I had a 45 minute jog/walk and I wanted to make it as far as possible jogging before walking/recovering a bit. I made the mistake of checking my app for the time/distance when I started to feel a little tired. BAM, it just wrecks your head and you immediately feel like you can't possibly do it because it's ONLY BEEN 10 MINUTES.

AVOID CHECKING THE TIME LIKE THE PLAGUE.

I couldn't agree with this more. It doesn't matter how I'm feeling while jogging, even if I feel great - I've found that the second I check the time left, I struggle. I've been avoiding it at all costs, and so far it's working. On my 20 minute jog, I checked when I had about 1:30 left, because the last few minutes were a real struggle for me. Other than that, I look straight ahead and focus on my music!