Goals calculations wrong?

Options
Hi guys,

I currently weigh 17st 5lb (245lbs), my lean body weight comes in at 188lbs - my own calculations bring me to 3009 cals per day to maintain weight.

Protein 188g / carbs 393g / fats 75g

I started using MyFitnessPal and in nutrition goals it only allows me to set:

Protein 188g (25%) / carbs 414g (55%) / fats 67g (20%)... 3009 CALS. If I change the % fields it still goes out of range and never hits the right calculations?

Also if I enter "lose 1lb per week" (goal weight 17st) it drops right down to 2250 cals? Surely this isn't right as anything over 500 cals deficit is going to cause a crazy amount of loss in muscle...

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    MFP's calculations don't work for me. Just fiddle with it to find what works for you. E.g. I need more than they think to gain and less than they think to lose :/

Try out 0.5 lb loss a week and see if it works for you, if it doesn't you can always drop it down.

Edit: I'd be inclined to up fats a bit, but that's just me - 20% sounds miserable
    I can't get my percentages bang on either, would be better if it went up in 1s and not 5s
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If you're only looking to drop five pounds, you should set your goal to 1/2 pound per week. Or, you could manually decrease your calorie goals by 250 (down to 2759). The macros should then adjust accordingly.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Because the 1 pound a week refers to overall weight not fat loss what I did was monitor my calories for a month on a ten percent deficit -300 calories in your case and then calculated my average calories versus actual fat loss then fine tuned the macros to suit, I wouldn't go over a 20 percent or 600 calorie deficit , if you want to minimise fat loss consider a keto diet
  • SteveGStar
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated ;)
  • janetbeautiful
    janetbeautiful Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i updated my goal settings but i am several weeks in and all my history is wrong. can i retrofit the new goals to old activity?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i updated my goal settings but i am several weeks in and all my history is wrong. can i retrofit the new goals to old activity?

You asked the same question in the Getting Started board. I answered it there.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Try 20/20/60.