Can I pick right back up where I left off?

Options
I will be havibg surgery soon & I won't be able to work out for probably a month maybe a little longer. My question is should I be able to pick up where I left off with the weight I was lifting? Or will I almost have to start all over again with lighter weights? I'm worried about losing all the strength I have built up over the past year.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Depends on the procedure, actual recovery time, what you can do while recovering, etc. Odds are you will not resume exactly where you are now but you won't be where you were a year ago either.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor about training after surgery. We aren't able to give you accurate advice. Depending on your age, ability, and recovery you might not lose much strength or you might lose a noticeable amount...:frown: There really is no way to know. Although, by looking at your picture, I doubt you'll have to start over.
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It's surgery to remove some internal cysts. So it's not major serious surgery, but I will still be out of commission for a little while.I know of course I have to follow Dr.s orders about when & how I can work out again. My main thing is that when I am able to lift again that I won't be doing less weight than I was pre surgery.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    After a month or two's lay off with lifting, I normally drop down one notch, to my next but one highest weight for each lift. (So for instance, if I'm benching 110 lb at the point of layoff, and my previous highest weight was 100lb, I re-start with 100lb, rather than 110.) That's normally enough for me, but really it's probably a trial and error thing. You won't be starting over after just a month off, though.
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    After a month or two's lay off with lifting, I normally drop down one notch, to my next but one highest weight for each lift. (So for instance, if I'm benching 110 lb at the point of layoff, and my previous highest weight was 100lb, I re-start with 100lb, rather than 110.) That's normally enough for me, but really it's probably a trial and error thing. You won't be starting over after just a month off, though.

Ok good to know! Makes me feel better :smile: