Odd squat question

Options
What is considered to be parallel?

I ask because my the fact that my thighs are 3 dimensional means that if the bottom is parallel the top is well above, if the top is parallel I am virtually a2g anyway (and my thighs are not massive) I squat a2g really so it's a moot point but I would like to know

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    In competitive lifting the top of the thighs is normally considered when squatting parallel. Technically it's the top of the knee to the "insertion" at the hip. A definition that leaves many people scratching their head. So if the top of your thigh is approximatley parallel with the ground, you're doing well.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Cheers for the prompt response - that makes sense. I was curious as people talk about going a2g versus parallel like it's a vast difference yet the reality is not that much really as far as I can tell.

It's like the thing where people say if you can sit on the toilet you can squat parallel - that's way above parallel to me lol
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    A2g gets to be pretty hard on the knees when going up in weight. If I'm lifting heavy I try to go parallel, maybe a smidgen lower. If I'm warming up with light weights I don't mind doing deeper squats. Just my two cents - listen to your body, in this particular case your knees, as a2g really does put a lot of pressure on your knees.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Diagram 4 is hitting below parallel.

Proper-Squat_zpsb5ef3f51.gif

This is ATG. Very few people can do ATG. Most who go below parallel think they're going ATG because of the mirror reflection and seeing the glute curve, but it isn't ATG unless the glutes go to ankle.

0_zps03a67362.jpg

ATG isn't necessary. You hit your glutes and hamstrings if you go below parallel.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    See the pic in the link. The crease where your hip meats your torso should be slightly below knee as indicated by the yellow arrow.
    http://www.usapowerlifting.com/newsletter/06/novice/squata.jpg

*kitten* to grass squats are more dangerous for your lower back than your knees. What happens to most people when they squat A2G is that their butt tucks under (butt wink), because they are just not flexible enough in the hips. If you are not using a lot of weight then probably not a big deal but when you start lifting heavy you could get an injury.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Well my hammies would get in the way of me ever going true ATG if the glutes have to touch the ankles whether weighted or not.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    A couple more points. Bar position affects how far you can go down. It is more difficult to do A2G squats when performing Low bar.

You don't really need to train A2G unless maybe you are doing Olympic lifting, but then you are probably doing high bar and/or front squats.