What is the BEST calorie burning exercise?

Options
If one has limited time to work out daily, which exercise will burn the most calories the quickest? Besides running! :) I've never been able to run.

Replies

• crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have found that walking at a decent speed, 3.0 or 3.5 at the highest incline your treadmill can go burns the most. I have done 700 in a half hour and 1000 in an hour before.
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love Turbo Fire, but Insanity burns a crazy amount too.
  • etherah
    etherah Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested in hearing about this. I'm assuming a high level of cardio is best.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I do Kathy Smith's Power Step Workout. I burn close to 500 calories in about 24 minutes. It claims to burn 36% more calories than any other workout. Its been amazing for me.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Circuit training and interval training! :-D Mix it up have fun and make it QUICK! I burn 500-600 in 40-50 min doing circuits and intervals. Very effective and i never get bored.
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    Any type of cardio. Exercises that get the heart rate up are great.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say dancing? Zumba or wii or the treadmill incline is an awesome one. Elliptical can get you up there pretty fast. I don't quite know what you mean with limited time? If you don't like running maybe a stationary trampoline would help.

Good luck. I find jogging/walking intervals burns the most calories for me in the shortest amount of time. :)
  • DanieGirl74
    DanieGirl74 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Zumba burns about 1000 kCal an hour. So even a 1/2 hour is a great calorie burn.
  • Jess0218
    Jess0218 Posts: 138
    Options
    I def love HIIT. (High Intensity Interval Training) It's only for about 20 minutes and you get a great burn!!!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I have found that walking at a decent speed, 3.0 or 3.5 at the highest incline your treadmill can go burns the most. I have done 700 in a half hour and 1000 in an hour before.
    This would completely depend on your heart rate and your weight.... walking at 3-3.5 is low intensity for me... so I burn low amounts walking. :( I have to throw in a run or jog to even get my heart rate up. It's amazing how everyone is so different huh?
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    i agree about treadmill with the highest incline. i use to do 15% at 4 mph for 30 mins and burned over 500 calories. I have started jogging/speed walking now. I jog as log as I can at 5 mph then slow back down to 4 mph. No matter what speeds you choose, bump it up as fast as you can for a min or as long as you can, then slow it back down, repeat.
  • dmisom79
    dmisom79 Posts: 112
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • msumacc
    msumacc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Using the whole body to exercise will burn the most calories. That's why running burns so much. Stationary bike is good, but only uses the legs so not as many cals. If you are limited on time, try the ellpitical or a rowing machine. Swimming is also a great workout.
  • kgh826
    kgh826 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A cycling class and Zumba!
  • dmisom79
    dmisom79 Posts: 112
    Options

That's awesome!!!
  • QueenCici
    Options
    I too tried running, but I couldn't go for very long, but I find walking at a 15 incline (or whatever the highest is on the treadmill) at 3.5-4.0 burns alot! I haven't found anything to beat that!
  • AbbiLindsey
    AbbiLindsey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight since the beginning of the year. I had lost 15lbs so far then a friend told me about this website yesterday. I entered all of my information and got my recommended calorie intake.

My thought is if I track everything I eat, regardless of calories, enter it and then see where I am on my daily goal, I can go to the Y and burn off anything I feel I shouldn't have done. Luckily, I stayed below my calorie intake yesterday. Anyway, if I am allotted X amount of calories per day, stay under that amount then go to the Y and work off 500 or so I should lose more than just the 1lb per week, right? Let me know if I'm missing something I should know!

I usually go and ride a bike on level 8 or so until I've ridden a couple miles but that only comes to a couple hundred calories lost. I'd like to do something a little quicker. I go late at night so not many people are there to see me sweating! :)
  • kscheuer1
    Options
    I do Zumba a couple times a week and everytime I burn between 700-1000 calories. I take classes at my gym when it fits my schedule, but I also purchased the Zumba DVD set so I can do it at home. Everytime I come out drenched but I have a blast doing it!
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I torch calories and the time flies by doing circuit training, I don't get bored! 50 minutes and over 600 calories are torched!
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I burn around 530 in 30 minutes of doing Turbo Jam.