Ultimate weight loss calculator

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I thought of something that would be an 'even better if" but really not crucial

It would be nice if rather than entering number of days to lose you could make this, and the result days, calendar based ..as in by this date because I believe that's how people tend to think
  • 141622j
    141622j Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

@rabbitjb yep, that would be better! I'm not entirely sure how to do it right now, but if I can figure it out i'll set it up so it'll say "you'd reach your goal weight by the 2nd January 2015" or something. Great idea!

@210andgoingdo I'm no doctor, but personally I think whatever works for you is fine - so trial zig-zag/ 5:2 for a month and see if it works for you! If you maintain a deficit, you'll lose weight no matter what, and if you find varying your calories more sustainable that's all to the good.

@elizabethnewh I just sent you an email (thanks so much for sending me those screenshots!) - could you confirm i it's working for you now?

Thanks guys!
  • lolly715
    Options
    @lolly715

I understand what you mean,but I'm unwilling to put a minimum threshold on there because, well, that's just the maths, and I think it's interesting to see things hypothetically. But I don't want people to run off and eat dangerously little, based on the calculator.. i'm not sure. I think I will just put a note on there, explaining that it's generally accepted that very low calorie intakes aren't great long term.

It's fine to not put thresholds in, but I think a note is definitely needed in that case. It's OK when you're testing with a group of MFP users who are aware of minimums but get someone who doesn't know and just wants to lose a lot of weight quickly, telling them to eat 400 cals (for example) per day, every day, may be taken at face value because they simply don't know any better. And that's potentially dangerous for them health wise, and you legally if they then decide to blame the calculator for any health issues.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @lolly715

I understand what you mean,but I'm unwilling to put a minimum threshold on there because, well, that's just the maths, and I think it's interesting to see things hypothetically. But I don't want people to run off and eat dangerously little, based on the calculator.. i'm not sure. I think I will just put a note on there, explaining that it's generally accepted that very low calorie intakes aren't great long term.

It's fine to not put thresholds in, but I think a note is definitely needed in that case. It's OK when you're testing with a group of MFP users who are aware of minimums but get someone who doesn't know and just wants to lose a lot of weight quickly, telling them to eat 400 cals (for example) per day, every day, may be taken at face value because they simply don't know any better. And that's potentially dangerous for them health wise, and you legally if they then decide to blame the calculator for any health issues.

In this day and age I really do not think a note is necessary, because you know what, if someone wants to stick to the 400 calories, note or no note, they are going to do it.

If they want to blame the calculator then its on them.
  • 141622j
    Options
    I still haven't figured out how to quote people on mfp, heh. I mean, I can make a huge complicated calculator, but forums are beyond me:happy:

I understand what you're saying, but i think people have to think for themselves. I added this to the disclaimer (top left on all pages on http://www.weightloss-calculator.net):

Use this calculator at your own risk - I'm not a doctor. I've done my best to make sure the formulas are accurate, but these numbers are for reference purposes ONLY - they are NOT a substitute for medical advice.

Very low calorie diets can be mentally and physically damaging. PLEASE use your own judgement, do your own research, and think for yourself. This calculator is just a tool to make the maths easier.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I still haven't figured out how to quote people on mfp, heh. I mean, I can make a huge complicated calculator, but forums are beyond me:happy:

I understand what you're saying, but i think people have to think for themselves. I added this to the disclaimer (top left on all pages on http://www.weightloss-calculator.net):

Use this calculator at your own risk - I'm not a doctor. I've done my best to make sure the formulas are accurate, but these numbers are for reference purposes ONLY - they are NOT a substitute for medical advice.

Very low calorie diets can be mentally and physically damaging. PLEASE use your own judgement, do your own research, and think for yourself. This calculator is just a tool to make the maths easier.

I think that is enough. People are going to do what they want irrespective of your disclaimer. Quick fixes seem to be the key to most things these days. I would not worry or change anything else.

Thank you for job well done. I will be using your calculator from today and work with the numbers.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Very cool!
  • hipyogacat
    hipyogacat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    LOVE it and have bookmarked it. Would it be possible to make the zig-zag entries modifiable? For example, if Day 2 is a day that is difficult for someone to go low-calorie (e.g., if they have an exam that day), then it would be nice if they could increase Day 2's calorie value and have the rest of the days modified accordingly.
  • 141622j
    Options
    LOVE it and have bookmarked it. Would it be possible to make the zig-zag entries modifiable? For example, if Day 2 is a day that is difficult for someone to go low-calorie (e.g., if they have an exam that day), then it would be nice if they could increase Day 2's calorie value and have the rest of the days modified accordingly.

That would be awesome, but I don't know how to do it yet! I will put it on the list. Great idea, thanks!

EDIT: But i did figure out how to quote people on mfp, so there's an improvement :D

And thanks again everyone for all the nice feedback, and for helping me by reporting bugs, making suggestions etc.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Yes, it works great now thanks :). I find the info very useful and I think if I run into standstills with my weight I will probably try the 5:2 or the zig zag. Are those amounts used based on the calories we inputted (ie mine is 1,200)? I think so but I wasn't certain. Thanks :)
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Saved in my favorites!!!
  • chsa22
    chsa22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just used your calculator and I love it! It is the most thorough one I've come across. Thanks so much for creating it and sharing it with MFP!!!! It will help a lot of people. :)
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This is the best calculator I've ever used. Thanks so much for creating it!
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Wow, very impressed! I like the 5:2 calculator, i always knew the standard 500 cals was too many based on 'an average woman'. Thanks very much!!
  • NessaReh85
    NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I have found it amazingly helpful. Very useful. You did a fantastic job.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    What a great calculator! Have it bookmarked. Thanks so much for creating it!
  • trudywc2
    trudywc2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leibinet
    leibinet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very nice. Thanks a lot.
  • breezyAandii
    breezyAandii Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi there

Great calc! But, am I the only one whose BMI is incorrect?
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    That's really awesome! Thanks. :-)