Anyone else using a HF/LC - Ketogenic lifestyle?

Options
I'm always looking for other people on a similar journey with a mind to share meal ideas/recipes/experiences etc. :smooched:

Replies

• suemaggs
    Options
    Hi Laura,
    I'm trying the keto diet, and after initially losing 16 lbs (I started at 175 lbs), and cycling 3x/week doing 30-60km rides, I haven't lost a single pound. I am so frustrated! My carbs are usually below 30gms, and my total calories in the 1200 cal range - no cheating, and keto sticks show mild-moderate ketosis, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?!
    Sue
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Me. Pre-diabetic and trying to get the blood glucose down.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am doing it for medical reasons as well as for weight loss. I am 6 weeks in so far and enjoying it because the cravings that I have lived with all my life are gone. I think it is the right lifestyle for me. Whatever works and meets nutritional needs is what is best. That seems to be different for different people.
    I lost loads in week one and two then I stayed the same for two weeks , then I started losing fast again. Stick with it if it suits you and see if the weight starts shifting again. It is normal to stay the same for periods of time on most plans. There are all sorts of reasons but if eating at a deficit the weight will go down sooner or later.
    There is a group called Keto in MFP groups section. Do a search and you will find it if not already in it.
  • laurakane1108
    laurakane1108 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat? With the LC/HF way of life, eating fat is part of the big picture. Try a fat bomb and see if that gives you results. When I do my breakdown, I'm 60% fat/35% protein and 5% carb, if that helps any :)
  • FatAsianNerd
    FatAsianNerd Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am. I've lost about 10 pounds so far. I started exactly one month ago. Last night I had a carb-load for the first time and today at the gym I felt stronger with more endurance. I think I'll be doing carb-ups every 2-3 weeks now.
  • laurakane1108
    laurakane1108 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I carb load 1 meal every 2 weeks and I feel super!
  • dhill000
    Options
    I started a low carb diet June 1st, then a couple of weeks later I learned about going ketogenic, and switched to that. I lost about ten pounds in the first 3 weeks, then stayed the same for a couple of weeks as I fine tuned my fat/carb/protein intake. Now, I'm steadily loosing about 1-2 lb a week keeping carbs under 50 g and protein below 100 g per day. No workouts other that walking 3 to 5 miles a day.

I discovered that when my weight was staying steady, I was overeating. Not sure yet if it was volume or protein. My main problem has always been that I eat too fast, or I feel that I need to eat everything on my plate, and that has been a hard habit to break. I have since found that if I start out with less, eat slower, and stop when I start to feel full, the LCHF approach works like a charm. Just keep my daily intake at or below my BMR, and I'm steadily loosing weight. I know this may not be the case for everyone, but it's what works for me.

Also, since going ketogenic most of the time, I feel more alert and focused, never bloated, no cravings, and am able to stay in total control when I am around foods that I was previously unable to resist. So, for me, ketogenic is the way to go, and it's the first diet/lifestyle I have ever tried that felt sustainable for the long term.

One last thing, is that my HDL went from 36 to 58 in about 45 days. Fasting triglycerides fell from 95 to 72, and Cholesterol stayed about the same at 150.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Down 60 pounds in 6 months living a ketogenic lifestyle. Always up for new friends. :)
  • FatAsianNerd
    FatAsianNerd Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you all consuming per day on the keto diet?
  • dhill000
    Options
    I'm getting about 1500 to 1800 calories per day, and I'm usually completely satisfied. Normally I only have two meals a day. Breakfast, then two tablespoons of MCT oil about an hour later, then I'm good till dinner around 6pm.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I am three weeks into a lchf lifestyle and believe I am in ketosis although I haven't tested. You asked about calories. I can say that the last few days I am having a really hard time eating enough calories. I have mine set for 1600 per day, but i still have 800 left for today. Eating fat has zapped a lot of my appetite.
  • floatingyue
    Options
    I'm doing this diet again. I had success with keto diet before and lost about 25lbs and have been able to maintain that weight for several months now. And that's the reason I'm going back on it because I want to lose 20 more.

As for calories, it's roughly around 800-1100 for me a day.
  • MaroneLotz
    MaroneLotz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the HFLC lifestyle for 5 months. Have lost 34kg (about 75lb) since I started. Being a Type 3 diabetic with hypertension and high triglycerides, this is working very well for me. For the past month my weight loss was quite slower than the previous months, but I still have about 58kg to lose :sad: Didn't really change my eating habits in the past month, except for maybe having a bit too much protein in comparison with fat. Ironically, I didn't go over my calorie goals. Did experience extreme levels of stress however, so think that played a major role as well.

Since starting I have been able to halve my diabetes medicine, stopped taking a statin for the triglycerides (which are now NORMAL) and having an appointment with my GP for lowering or stopping my hypertension meds as well. Feel really much more healthy on my new lifestyle!

Edited: forgot to say I eat just under 1500 calories per day.
  • wicksamy
    Options
    I have been trying to get started on hf/lc but struggle to come up with meals. I also find that I feel very tired and have no energy. Thought I should increase fat intake but not sure what to eat that thats high fat and not going to cause me to overdo the proteins?
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to get started on hf/lc but struggle to come up with meals. I also find that I feel very tired and have no energy. Thought I should increase fat intake but not sure what to eat that thats high fat and not going to cause me to overdo the proteins?

The no energy thing is normal and should last about a week - if you can push through that, your energy will then sky-rocket, I promise. :) Fats to add to meals: butter, olive oil, coconut oil, mayo, avocado, almonds, cheese, bacon, heavy cream.

Here's my blog post about what to eat: http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/what-is-a-ketogenic-lifestyle/

Other great resources:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    www.ibreatheimhungry.com
    www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com
    www.peaceloveandlowcarb.com

:)
  • newtro925
    Options
    I am doing the HF/LC lifestyle again and working to get into keto. I did it a while ago and it seemed to work. I have tried different weight loss strategies since then, but this seems to work for me. This time around as opposed to last time I did it, I am trying to incorporate more exercise into the diet. I run three times a week and do weights twice a week. I will see how this goes with my energy levels. Always looking for new friends.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

The no energy thing is normal and should last about a week - if you can push through that, your energy will then sky-rocket, I promise. :) Fats to add to meals: butter, olive oil, coconut oil, mayo, avocado, almonds, cheese, bacon, heavy cream.

Here's my blog post about what to eat: http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/what-is-a-ketogenic-lifestyle/

Other great resources:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    www.ibreatheimhungry.com
    www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com
    www.peaceloveandlowcarb.com

:)

This is exactly what I was thinking. If you have chicken or whatever meat you're eating, add in fats like oil, butter, etc.

I eat HF/LC/keto!
  • BethClicks
    BethClicks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ME!! And I've been looking for my people for weeks now! :) Hello!!!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    ME!! And I've been looking for my people for weeks now! :) Hello!!!

There are keto and low carb groups to check out!
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I tried the atkins diet many years ago, and it was working great, but after a test nurse found keytones in my kidneys, so got told to stop.

I won't repeat most of rest as am liable to get reported again lol, but now follow a limited carb regime to control blood sugars.

Will keep this in mind ;)