1 liter of water first thing in the morning to detoxify???

Options
13»

Replies

• theresa7576
    theresa7576 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    detoxing makes me cringe. your body knows what it's doing.. it has organs that have that specific job. All these short term fixes lead to no long term results. working out and watching what you eat every single day (clean diet) is the only way to stay healthy.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Drinking water will not hurt you so drink up. The body 'has everything it needs to detoxify itself' is true however it replenishes what it uses in that process with the water you drink and the food you eat. One of the things it needs most to detoxify is water, so drinking a liter in the morning will get it started faster. If you have 12 BMs in a day chances are you had a lot of dehydrated impacted feces in you. After that poop is gone, you wont have quite the same reaction anymore.

Dont listen to the haters. It cant hurt you to try it once and if you get diahrea just make sure you take in a glass of water each time you have a bought to replace the water you lost. Over the course of a day or two things will settle down.

Wrong. There is such a thing as water intoxication and water poisoning. You can actually die from drinking too much water. One person found that out the hard way when participating in a radio DJ's water drinking challenge. I'm not saying that one liter will kill you--I'm just refuting the bad advice.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am all in favour of drinking lot's of water every day. Not sure though about gulping down a whole liter in one go.

The argument though to only drink when you are thirsty though is apparently wrong: you should drink before you get thirsty, as thirst means you are already dehydrated. You should prevent getting thirsty.

Stef.
  • melanie2175
    melanie2175 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not certain about the detoxify aspect but I have been drinking 2 16.9 oz. of water in the morning before coffee or food and I know I feel better and well we all need water and to start drinking it first thing in the AM helps me get my water in during the day. I have lost weight but I think it is water weight since I am hydrated now. (my goal water consumption amount is 135 ounces a day which is higher than the formula of half your body weight/ounces of water. As long as I consume half my body weight in ounces {85-90oz} I am not concerned. with that formula 200 pound person should drink 100 oz of water.) I have heard some people say that they sometimes feel nauseous before a BM. particularly when things start moving naturally after having been constipated. and nausea pre BM is sometimes associated with IBS so I have been told.
    Any way as long as the water is not toxic consuming it should be healthy for you.
    "Water first for thirst"
  • bunnypanther
    Options
    I drink a pint or two in the morning. Also the same during the night. And at least 2lt during the day not counting tea n coffee or other drinks.

I do this because I have night sweats which wake me up and make me thirsty (obviously!) and I'm prone to water infections so keeping my kidneys and bladder flushing through is a good way to avoid/solve them.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I drink that much every morning just because I am thirsty...I can tell you it does nothing for my poops. As for as Toxins...LMAO....did they give them a name in this one or just spout about you having them in your body?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I saw a documentary called "Food Matters", it's about eating healthier, and the kinds of toxins that get into our bodes, stuff like that. They mention a sort of water detox at about 46 mins into it. Now, the guy who's talking suggests to start your day with water. He said to drink a liter of water before eating or drinking anything else. The point of this is to expel toxins as quickly as possible through our bowels instead of allowing them to go through our skin through sweat.

Name one toxin.
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Drinking water will not hurt you so drink up. The body 'has everything it needs to detoxify itself' is true however it replenishes what it uses in that process with the water you drink and the food you eat. One of the things it needs most to detoxify is water, so drinking a liter in the morning will get it started faster. If you have 12 BMs in a day chances are you had a lot of dehydrated impacted feces in you. After that poop is gone, you wont have quite the same reaction anymore.

Dont listen to the haters. It cant hurt you to try it once and if you get diahrea just make sure you take in a glass of water each time you have a bought to replace the water you lost. Over the course of a day or two things will settle down.

Wrong. There is such a thing as water intoxication and water poisoning. You can actually die from drinking too much water. One person found that out the hard way when participating in a radio DJ's water drinking challenge. I'm not saying that one liter will kill you--I'm just refuting the bad advice.

^This! Thank you! I was thinking 'large amounts of water in one go can hurt you!'. This is why some people die from drugs. They get sick and then drink tons of water because everyone wants to keep them hydrated. At some point the concentration of ions in the cells exceeds the concentration of ions (salts etc) outside of the cells. The cells suck up too much water and actually burst. It's science, folks!!!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Is detoxify slang for hydrate? If so, go for it!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    ... did this and actually lost 15lbs in one day, having 12 bowel movements a day.

Was there a parasite in the water?
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    ... did this and actually lost 15lbs in one day, having 12 bowel movements a day.

Was there a parasite in the water?

12 Bowel Moments in a day? That sounds awesome!!!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Drink when you're thirsty.

First off....ZOMBIE THREAD.

But I just wanted to add I somewhat disagree with the above quote. Yes you should drink when you are thirsty, but many people don't drink enough water period. I'm not saying go out and start chugging, but to just be mindfull that you should probably get in the habit of drinking when you aren't thirsty also.
  • wellz6
    Options
    I used to drink 16 oz. of water first thing in the morning. Several months ago I upped it to 32 oz. and I love it. I don't chug it at once but try to get it all down within 5 minutes or so. I don't have the bowel movement thing going on with the water but I can tell a big difference in how it makes me feel. I feel very hydrated and gives me a great healthy feeling to start my day.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    Food Matters. Yeah, another Netflix one-sided "documentary"/entertainment. A lot of those food documentaries have all kinds of weird stuff in them and extremist views. Like his brother having 12 bowel movements in one day. That's when I'd be hitting the "up" button on my ROKU.

I drink 24 ounces of water first thing in the morning. Whats a liter? 32 ounces or thereabouts? I just do it because I haven't had any for 12-14 hours and I'm thirsty.

Me too. I am thirsty in the morning and usually drink a half liter right away, then the rest of my liter bottle with my morning coffee, usually gone by 11am. Another by 2pm (with and after my first meal of the day)... and downed two more liters by 10pm or so.