Start Running: What to do?

Options
I hated gym before, as well as weight and running. Now, my way to get healthy and in condition changed me. I started weight exercises and running at the gym. I had to buy new sportive shoes because mine wasn't good - I got a black nail and it is still recovering.

So, my question: What should I do for start running outside? What sportive shoes should I buy? I have new ones for the gym but there are indoor (and they were expensive).

Please, tell me your story of your first times, if you are a runner and how did/do you do it.

Replies

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    There is a great pinned topic at the top. (So you want to start running). The OP had some excellent advice and there is great stuff throughout the thread.

I was in your shoes. I used to hate running. I had tried to start a few times but always dreaded it. But I recently finished a C2k5 program (Zen Labs) and now look forward to running 3-4 days a week. As it says in the pinned thread, definitely take the time to go to a running store, get your gait analyzed and invest in some good running shoes. Getting fit for the right shoes made the difference in a lot of back pain and sore legs and feeling very comfortable.

It was an expensive lesson. My wife would say I'm cheap. :) A couple of years ago I asked what my friend who was into running wore and bought them online. They didn't work for me at all. Then I went to a running store, got analyzed - but couldn't pull the trigger for that much $$$ on new shoes. I went back a different day and ended up buying a different model (same brand) off their clearance rack. They didn't work either.

I finally went back and talked to the person I originally saw. She got me in a pair that fit my gait, but were last year's model. It saved me about 40%. From what I've heard, the models are usually similar year to year, so once you find what works, you can save some money buying last year's edition.

Good luck! Seriously, back in July the idea of running for 10 minutes seemed like a chore. Now I can't wait to get out for 30-40 minutes....
  • xrachel2014
    xrachel2014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k app was my knight in shining armour to get me running. I started off by doing it on the treadmill at the gym because personally, I felt like a fool stopping and starting running and walking outside. I then ran outside and I currently run mainly outside and on a treadmill at the gym. Outside is far better, time goes quicker and you get a feel for the diffent grounds, weather etc. it pushes you more and is less boring. I never thought I could finishing the app when I first got it and now (in my head anyway!) feel like a female Forrest Gump :)

I would recommended getting your gait analysis done so you get the right running shoes for you which are the most supportive for you so you run safely with comfort. If you go to a half decent place they should recommend the best shoes for your buget (if you already have expensive ones for the gym!)

I am by no means a proper runner, so other might have different advice. once you get started though it's addictive and you will constantly want to better yourself and get better times. Have fun!!
  • MariadfdCruz
    MariadfdCruz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There is a great pinned topic at the top. (So you want to start running). The OP had some excellent advice and there is great stuff throughout the thread.

I was in your shoes. I used to hate running.

Good luck! Seriously, back in July the idea of running for 10 minutes seemed like a chore. Now I can't wait to get out for 30-40 minutes....

Thanks! I am also cheap :wink:
    I will read with attention the link.
    Though due to the black nail I bought the new shoes in a professional shop. They asked me to run and they recorded. My foot has a weird shape (Greek foot and tall foot) and my foot goes inside, when running (over-pronation). I got a Nike brand, as I said for indoor, so I think I can't know which one is for outdoor.
    I love to read your experience. Thanks, thanks, thanks!:heart:
  • ghartleroad1
    ghartleroad1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was similar to you more than a year ago. You've got to go to a real running store, get your gait/stride assessed, and invest the money for the right shoes for you. Then, run as much or as fast as is comfortable for you on Day 1. Then slowly add on to that, even if it's a second fast or running to the next building or tree. You don't & shouldn't Try for big increases too quickly; that's a recipe for frustration and injury.

On a personal note, I went from not running at all. To 1.5-2 miles over the course of a long summer. However, I'd never been a runner and realized I'm still not. It got boring and I found myself loathing to go. I still do some weights, but now I only do fitness classes, Jillian, etc. Just figure out what you want; what's your motivation; and the different ways it's possible to attain your goals.
  • MariadfdCruz
    Options
    The couch to 5k app was my knight in shining armour to get me running. I started off by doing it on the treadmill at the gym because personally, I felt like a fool stopping and starting running and walking outside. I then ran outside and I currently run mainly outside and on a treadmill at the gym. Outside is far better, time goes quicker and you get a feel for the diffent grounds, weather etc. it pushes you more and is less boring. I never thought I could finishing the app when I first got it and now (in my head anyway!) feel like a female Forrest Gump :)

I would recommended getting your gait analysis done so you get the right running shoes for you which are the most supportive for you so you run safely with comfort. If you go to a half decent place they should recommend the best shoes for your buget (if you already have expensive ones for the gym!)

I am by no means a proper runner, so other might have different advice. once you get started though it's addictive and you will constantly want to better yourself and get better times. Have fun!!

First of all, thanks a lot for sharing your experience. :heart:
    I feel the same running outside. I was thinking I should get a group to join and then it wouldn't be just me LOL
    Maybe I am cheap and I found my sportive shoes expensive - Nike brand, 120 Euros or more (I bought good socks for running due to my damage nail and all was almost 150 Euro). I see there are more expensive - I asked an advise in Asics site and they suggest ones that cost 175 Euro.

My Nike shoes (Nike Free ID 5): :happy:
    http://runblogger.com/2014/03/nike-free-5-0-running-shoe-review.html

I see the running is addicted because I am always looking forward to do running and I prefer the running to the weights exercise :happy: I also have the feeling it will be so much nicer to run outside and that's why I want to try it. I am a little afraid of spending some extra money in the sportive shoes and not running outside. Though it seems that is probably not going to happen, by what you say.

Thanks again for all the above. It is very nice to know.
  • MariadfdCruz
    Options
    On a personal note, I went from not running at all. To 1.5-2 miles over the course of a long summer. However, I'd never been a runner and realised I'm still not. It got boring and I found myself loathing to go. I still do some weights, but now I only do fitness classes, Jillian, etc. Just figure out what you want; what's your motivation; and the different ways it's possible to attain your goals.

This is what I am afraid for. I was never a runner, also. In the past my love was cycling and it still is (I bike every day). I know now that it was also frustration due to my difficult foot. They are very wide, high and they go inwards when I run. I did the tests and in the shop the seller said my foot is the most difficult one, and on top is not small (7 US, 39 Europe).

For now, I am loving to run and to do weights. I am not too much in the lessons, but only because they are in Dutch (I wish they were in English) and I need to be there at a specific time. Later we will see.