Depression, how did you deal with it?

Options

Replies

• Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I also have been diagnosed with it, but dont feel qualified to offer a medical opinion - for me, it was a combination of good meds, improving life circumstances (and choices, frankly) & admitting to myself when I was really going down the rabbit hole.

Just wanted you to know there are people out here who support you.

Please feel free to FR if youd like

Fsunami
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I wanted to give you props for going and getting help. Its very tough thing to do. :)

Also I wanted to add a note: some meds will make you feel much worse and not better. It may take time to find the right one... just keep an open line of communication with your Dr. Tell a trusted friend/family member about the medicine so they can look out for you and help you get back to the Dr. if you need it.

Also, I personally never found the right medicine, so its not always the answer. I started seeing a therapist though, for a separate issue, and she helped me find healthy and productive ways to deal with emotions. Its taken time, but her advice, and being able to talk to someone without worry of judgement, has been the key to freedom for me.

Wishing you great success and many happy days ahead!
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've had many bouts of depression....I ended up taking medication right after I had my daughter. The crazy hormones did me no justice. Once I found the right medication, I started feeling better. It didn't make me feel good, but I didn't feel horrible anymore either....it was numbing....but at that time I needed it. I also met with a counselor once a week and got set up with a psych evaluation. Turns out I'm bipolar. Learning about my mental illness and what to look out for has really helped me manage my symptoms. I haven't needed medication for a year now, and I have plenty of support when I need help. Its definitely something to look into with a medical professional. Also, in the mean time, my doctors always always ALWAYS pushed getting sunlight as many days as you can to help boost your mood.
  • porscheparcher
    Options
    You asked for how we PERSONALLY deal with depression, so I will tell you. This may not be how you choose, but we are all entitled to our opinions, maybe this will help someone! :)

I've dealt with depression a large part of my life that I feel honestly stemmed from low self esteem and body image issues. What helps me is doing things for others. I think depression has a lot to do with yourself. It has been helpful to me to love on someone else, do something nice for them, help others and encourage others. Take the focus off the feeling and FORCE yourself to show love and kindness on someone else!

Also, personally for me, I'm a Christian and it helps me to focus on what Christ says about me and His promises. I meditate and scriptures, memorize them, and say them out loud even and pray and worship God despite how I feel.

Another thing, personal development books are great for life development overall!
  • Shirotora88
    Options
    I had chronic depression, was put on medication for 5 years then they slowly took me off and I was fine after that. So far haven't needed depression pills again so far, knock on wood
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I had depression that affected my life in a negative way in my late teens and again in my early twenties. I still feel the signs sometimes and I still check myself regularly. I have done a variety of things that have been helpful for me over the last twenty years. I have not taken medication for depression, but I would be more likely to take them today, if needed, because they are superior to what we had twenty years ago. (Help produce serotonin rather than block neurotransmitter receivers.)

Anyhow, this is what I do:

Walk. A doctor once told me to walk to help with my headaches. I did and it helped.
    Run. Running gives me endorphins and changes the chemistry of my brain line almost nothing else.
    Do what you like to do for you. This was hard for me at first, because I was so used to taking care of other people that I didn't even know what I like to do. I find crochet and other other creative, crafty activities therapeutic. My hobbies change all the time, in the past they have included reading, cooking, gardening, weight lifting, biking and swimming.
    Put down your phone and go outside. Simple.
    Practice moderation. In everything.
    Have a few good girlfriends and chat with them often.
    I have been sitting under a lamp for fifteen minutes every morning. Natural sunlight inhibits melatonin which can make you feel blue during the day. This also helps guide your natural rhythm during the day so that you have adequate melatonin at night for sleeping.
    Eat carbs, have a little chocolate now and then.

Like others have said, exercise, a balanced diet and keeping weight down all help. If you can still force yourself to get up, get out, and get some exercise without needing medication, then I suggest that you do this every day.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have been in therapy for a little over a year (once every two weeks) and soon I should be going down to once a month. I was diagnosed with major depression, anxiety, and a binge eating disorder. Every day was a struggle and whole mix of emotions. My depression definitely impacted my ability to lose weight and be motivated. I worked with a therapist who had specific experience in these areas in relation to weight loss. It took a long time to see progress. And there were still plenty of ups and downs, moments of extreme vulnerability and discomfort. I started by taking Lexapro for my anxiety, but we got me off that within 9 months once I learned some coping skills to practice.

In writing this now, I forget if you said you were seeing just an MD or a therapist. I suggest seeing a therapist even if your MD prescribes meds. Even if you stay on meds the rest of your life, I think the tools you get from therapy will still help your weight loss. Meds alone many not assist you in the weight loss portion.

I still have "moody" days, but I have tools now to better manage them. And now I'm better able to focus on my weight loss and better able to frame/tailor my weight loss journey in a way that makes sense for me, the way I process things, and in relation to my issues and idiosyncracies.

Best advice...be totally honest with your therapist/doctor. So many people don't and so they don't reap the benefits. Also, I was lucky that I landed the perfect therapist for me on the first try, but this doesn't always happen. Feel free to try out different therapists. The right fit matters.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Update: I went and was given medication. I started it last night, so we shall see how this all goes. Thank you all so much for all the advice I really appreciate it. And to some who asked about my thyroid, that was checked just 6 months ago and it is fine. Thank you!! :flowerforyou:

Let us know how you are doing:)
    It is still a good idea to pair medication with talking, exercising, taking care of you, etc.
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    For years I drank too much. Then went to Doctor and told her how I felt. She said part of it is PMDD and other part is depression. So she put on medication. It was like night and day. The medication got me to where I could at least deal with it. Later a new Doctor took over for her and I said it was not working any longer and she put me on something else. That make me foggy. The next one she tried me on made me feel weird and give me strange dreams. So I went back to what I knew worked. Fluoxetine 20mg works for me. This is a low dose. I have gone up to 40. Also to be very honest, exercise helps. I know its hard to do when ya dont feel even feel like getting out of bed. But once you do your how attitude will change. At least mine does. Everyone is different and every day is different. I do understand. If you want to friend me I would love to be your friend.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Volunteer work will help your depression.

What the?

It may help boost self esteem but I think thats over simplifying mental health a smidge!
  • emmabanks87
    emmabanks87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a mental health disorder where depression is part of it and how I cope with it is, not be in denial about it. there will be good days and sadly there will be bad days. no point telling yourself everyday will be super happy. there will sadly be times you will feel down and sad. but I cope with just getting through the dark moments and tell myself 'the bad times' never last forever and the good days are always to come. hugs :)
  • bunnypanther
    Options
    This is my own personal view having suffered with stress and depression for almost 15 years.

Some people dont make enough insulin. They're diabetic and have meds (or diet) to fix it.

I do not make enough seratonin and therefore I take meds to help.

There is no shame in being ill. And its an illness. There is also no shame in seeking help for that illness.

If you have an infection, you go to the docs n get antibiotics. Same thing.

Oooh, saw you got meds, well done for being brave! Its hard to do! Will take 2 weeks to a month to kick in.

Exercise does help but its hard to get motivation when feeling poo

Good luck! xx
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry OP, I don't have an answer. I really wish I did. Just know that there are others (like me) going through what you are. You are not alone. :flowerforyou:

I think what the others said are good answers. I need to see a doctor or therapist soon. I need to get my mental health back on track.
  • DeliVibes
    DeliVibes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've never gone to the doctor about depression so I've never been diagnosed.
    I kind of want to go a counsellor to talk about it but at the same time I really don't.

I felt a form of mild depression in the past during a phase where I felt quite indifferent to everything going on around me.
    I became careless with my appearance, lost interest in all hobbies, just wanted to eat and sleep all day and do nothing, not even watch tv, literally just lay in my bed thinking and napping. I lacked the motivation to get out of bed in the morning and the thoughts of trying to decide what to wear and wash my hair just seemed like the most impossible tasks to complete.
    So whether you call this depressed or just pure laziness is up to you! I felt **** anyway - inside and out.

How did I get over this?
    I still haven't got over it fully, I still go through smaller periods of this happening but in general I just try to keep busier.
    Working more, doing more things with my friends etc.

I know for fact I don't need any medication for my particular case - a healthy lifestyle will fully cure me but that's easier said than done.

Good luck to you - I hope we all find happiness :)
  • MaryTate79
    Options
    I think the main thing you should do is talk to and be honest with your doctor. I take two antidepressants because I have an actual chemical imbalance and I don't do well without them. It takes a couple months to really feel the benefits and for the side effects like being tired to go away. The medication helps, but I also do Yoga every morning and meditation. That helps my body and mind feel better. :-) Hope you feel better soon.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This is my own personal view having suffered with stress and depression for almost 15 years.

Some people dont make enough insulin. They're diabetic and have meds (or diet) to fix it.

I do not make enough seratonin and therefore I take meds to help.

There is no shame in being ill. And its an illness. There is also no shame in seeking help for that illness.

If you have an infection, you go to the docs n get antibiotics. Same thing.

Oooh, saw you got meds, well done for being brave! Its hard to do! Will take 2 weeks to a month to kick in.

Exercise does help but its hard to get motivation when feeling poo

Good luck! xx

Thank you I appreciate the input!! I just started last night so I shall see how I feel in a couple months.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the continued advice and comments I appreciate it!!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

What the?

It may help boost self esteem but I think thats over simplifying mental health a smidge!
    Exactly. Actual clinical depression will not be cured by doing good deeds or thinking happy thoughts, any more than a broken bone or schizophrenia can be cured by being nicer to other people.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Update: I went and was given medication. I started it last night, so we shall see how this all goes. Thank you all so much for all the advice I really appreciate it. And to some who asked about my thyroid, that was checked just 6 months ago and it is fine. Thank you!! :flowerforyou:

Congratulations on going and getting help! Wonderful!

As others have said, follow the recommendations and quickly report any uncomfortable side effects. Use all the tools you can find and that help including medication, therapy, support groups, exercise, mindfulness, anything. There are sites dedicated to depression support, much more in depth than MFP.

No stigma, just something that must be managed. It can take what seems to be a very long time to realize effects from medication. Try to be patient. Seek out support. Wishing you the best.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options

What the?

Exactly. Actual clinical depression will not be cured by doing good deeds or thinking happy thoughts, any more than a broken bone or schizophrenia can be cured by being nicer to other people.

I know. I get properly p*ssed off by people thinking I can just out think my depression. I'm sorry am I choosing to feel this way? CBT does show that changing negative behaviours to positive ones will influence thoughts and feelings but its rather less simplistic than doing something nice=happy person. Even the thought challenging you learn to do can't just be done once you have to constantly challenge yourself and thats not always easy.

OP well done on taking your first big step. I am glad you are trialling some meds and hope they work for you. I can hugely reccomend counselling and CBT. Its if nothing else time that can be used to focus on you and your needs. Give yourself time. Its been 2.5 years for me now and I am finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, am down from 2 ADs to 1, back exercising and going for promotion at work. You can and will get through this just give yourself time to heal like you would with any other illness