Fitness After Hysterectomy

Options
Hello,

I am curious about personal experiences of maintaining or regaining fitness after hysterectomy. I am 26 years old and have recently had two surgeries to manage my symptomatic uterine fibroids. Unfortunately, my fibroids have quickly grown back and are again harming my quality of life. The ob/gyns who have treated me recommend a partial hysterectomy in the near future (leaving both the ovaries and the cervix). The hysterectomy would be performed laparoscopically, ideally using the same incision sites as one of my previous surgeries.

Up until the fibroid symptoms became unmanageable, I was very active and maintained a healthy weight. I ran and did strength training daily, with some yoga practice and martial arts as well, with the eventual goal of running a marathon. Since my fibroids have regrown to be quite large after surgery, I have been unable to exercise consistently but my weight has dropped. Certain activities are too painful to do, such as crunches or laying on my stomach. I am hoping to regain my strength and stamina, but have not found much information regarding post-hysterectomy success stories. Has anyone had personal experience with achieving their ideal fitness levels after a hysterectomy?

Replies

• GeronimoMikk
    GeronimoMikk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I 'm 41 and had laparoscopic hysterectomy exactly 1 year ago. Pre-surgery I did ocassional light running but was not that active. After surgery I was very week. Even a couple of months after, I would get winded with slight pain just from lifting cans to the shelf. I eased into exercise very slowly and tried to listen to my body. After 6 months I could run again. After 10 months I started doing crossfit. I'm in the best shape I've ever been. Post surgery I lost 3 lbs, I don't know if it was just the fibroid (which was bigger than my uterus). After a year my I've gained them back so I'm at the same weight. I'm not really overweight so weight loss isn't my main goal. Surgery was a big decision, and probably more for you as you are younger. If you have history of cancer perhaps check into potential of spreading cancer cells during surgery. I didn't have history, and I had pap smear, ultrasound and biopsy so I was comfortable with doing the procedure. I can say that I was able to fully recover, it just takes time. Praying for you!
  • 20Jamie06
    20Jamie06 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I 'm 41 and had laparoscopic hysterectomy exactly 1 year ago. Pre-surgery I did ocassional light running but was not that active. After surgery I was very week. Even a couple of months after, I would get winded with slight pain just from lifting cans to the shelf. I eased into exercise very slowly and tried to listen to my body. After 6 months I could run again. After 10 months I started doing crossfit. I'm in the best shape I've ever been. Post surgery I lost 3 lbs, I don't know if it was just the fibroid (which was bigger than my uterus). After a year my I've gained them back so I'm at the same weight. I'm not really overweight so weight loss isn't my main goal. Surgery was a big decision, and probably more for you as you are younger. If you have history of cancer perhaps check into potential of spreading cancer cells during surgery. I didn't have history, and I had pap smear, ultrasound and biopsy so I was comfortable with doing the procedure. I can say that I was able to fully recover, it just takes time. Praying for you!

Thank you for sharing, it's very reassuring to know that women don't have to give up on their fitness goals after hysterectomy. When my first fibroids were removed via myomectomy and morcellation (which is known to spread potentially cancerous cells), the labwork done on the tumors showed that they were benign, so my cancer risk is likely low. I've consulted with two ob/gyns at different practices, and they both say that I will likely need a hysterectomy soon to maintain a decent quality of life, based on previous treatment failures and how quickly my fibroids are growing. Patience is certainly the most difficult part of surgery recovery, as I would like to be back to running today rather than having to wait much longer.
  • tiffany5446
    tiffany5446 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm also really curious about this. I am having the same surgery. I will be extremely active up to the day of my surgery. I also watch my calories very closely using this site. I have been dieting for years, so it's pretty much second nature to me. Since hormones won't really be an issue, I don't see why weight gain would be inevitable. I know until I can get back into a fitness routine that I will really have to watch my calories.

I have read so many forums where women discuss gaining weight as if it's inevitable. I am actually very skeptical about this and plan on discussing it with my doctor thoroughly. The reason I am so skeptical is that I ran into this same "inevitable weight gain" attitude when I quit smoking and I did not gain a bit (actually lost a little bit b/c I am still trying to lose weight). I guess I won't really know until it comes, but I would like to hear experiences from other active women, which I have had a hard time finding.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    If they are leaving your ovaries in and removing the fibroids and uterus (which is what is causing the pain, right?), and you don't have endometriosis or some other condition, I don't see why having a partial hysterectomy would impact you being able to exercise and maintain your health with physical activity.

Barring failure of your ovaries, bladder prolapse, or some injury during the surgery, I can't foresee any reason to be worried, but speak with your surgeon and doctor before the procedure to gain insight on all possible outcomes, as my doctor told me that sexual fulfillment may be impacted from my hysterectomy. It wasn't.

Again, speak to your doctor about these concerns. That's their job. And if you aren't satisfied with the answers or they brush you off, I'd seriously consider choosing another one.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I had a complete hysterectomy 10 years ago at 25. I have to say I did gain 40 pounds from it.. BUT I wasn't trying to lose either.. in the last year I have lost 110 pounds and am in better shape, health and fitness wise than I have ever been! It has not affected me since I have been losing..
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had a 'vaginal' hysterectomy - all but my ovaries came out.. i was weak at first because it's surgery! lol

To be honest - I felt awesome within a few days... and I actually went DANCING 2wks later!!

Take things in stride.. do what you can but don't push too hard... your body and 'gutt instinct' will tell you what you can/can't do.. talk to your Dr.. they will know the do's/don'ts... But once you're healed you should have no reason not to be active again.
  • I had the same surgery as Kari about 7 years ago. My doctor told me no physical activities except walking until after 8 weeks. It still took about 6 months to completely heal but I was back to running after about 4 months.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I had a complete hysterectomy at age 34, which was now 25 years ago. It did not affect my life in any way. I took a few weeks off of work and then returned to my normal life. My gradual creep up in weight is entirely due to lack of exercise and poor nutrition. Now that I have those factors addressed, I'm actually in better shape than I was 25 years ago.

Good luck in your recovery.
  • 20Jamie06
    20Jamie06 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your support! It's now been 3 months since I first posted my question, and I've been doing much better after finally seeing some results from my uterine artery embolization. My fibroids caused me to have an unending period from December 2013 to September 2014, despite my myomectomy. Now that my bleeding and pain are under better control, I've started walking long distances most days of the week and I feel healthier overall. My fitness goals seem more achievable now that I'm easing back into physical activity.