Options

Replies

• sauron94
    Options
    I knew a ho who made great chocolate chip cookies. :laugh:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Odus, baby, sugar, honey, lemondrop...too much?

TRUST ME. This recipe is ridiculously easy and requires almost NO work and uses a dutch oven too. You can add whatever you want to it also.

http://www.simplysogood.com/2010/03/crusty-bread.html

Crusty Bread

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
    1 3/4 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon Instant or Rapid-rise yeast
    1 1/2 cups water

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast. Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours. Overnight works great. Heat oven to 450 degrees. When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let set while the pot is heating. Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough. Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.

NO joke, I almost sent you a FB message this weekend, I know you're gifted in the ho-made bread category!! :wink:
  • odusgolp
    Options

Also... Never too much *lick lick*

Can't we get a licking icon goin on in here?
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Tee hee, so I burst out laughing when I read the title. I think you mean home-made bread, your title suggests that a person of questionable morals made your bread.

...sorry to be a spelling nazi. And yes, I am an immature child laughing at that. Long day at work I guess.

:)

I know the OP well, she did this on purpose to attract attention. giggle away freely

I was just gonna post, or the OP did it on purpose for the attention. :wink:
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I used to test the water like you do a baby bottle on your wrist.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    yeah you're too kneady \m/

I lol'd at this...

I did too .. lol

LOL me too. Srsly tho that's prolly the culprit, or not doing the yeast right.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm not an accomplished bread maker, but in my experience, over-kneading can cause more dense consistency.

Perhaps, I am completely wrong and other bread makers can correct my ignorance.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Ok - here is what I do

4 cups of bread flour (super important, has moar gluten than AP)

2 cups of milk around 110 to 120 degrees

2 tablespoons of soften butter

2 tablespoons of honey or sugar

1 egg

1.5 teaspoons of salt

1 yeast packet of dry active yeast

I use my bread machine or the dough hook on my mixer to knead it. But if you don't use one milk and eggs in the bowl first, flour, everything else, with the yeast last. I don't proof mine. IfYou easily need to knead for 7-10 minutes, let it sit 30-60 covered in a warm spot for 45 minutes, knead it again for 7-10 minutes, cover and sit another 45. Form into rolls or bread pan, cover rise 20 more minutes.

ETA: Don't have bread flour but TONS of AP? I'd break down and buy wheat gluten. I have used it with AP, very good. Also, as to over kneading -- pretty hard in my experience. Unless you have forearms of steel and can knead something for 20 minutes without wanting to die.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Tee hee, so I burst out laughing when I read the title. I think you mean home-made bread, your title suggests that a person of questionable morals made your bread.

...sorry to be a spelling nazi. And yes, I am an immature child laughing at that. Long day at work I guess.

Yes yes... But it was intentional, dear :wink: :blushing:

I wish I had adequate advice to reward your humor. Alas, I just do whatever the little book my bread machine tells me to do. And it doesn't even pay me....
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Try cutting regular flour with bread flour and use better yeast.
    If you can swing Platinum yeast, that stuff's amazing. If not I just use instant.

Also weigh your flour versus scooping. It makes your results much more accurate.
    I *try* to watch my carbs but make bread for my hubs since the commercial stuff is terrible.

I make various versions of this recipe. Adding raisins and cinnamon, cranberries and cinnamon or whole wheat flour and oats.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't make bread much but I did for our past thanksgiving dinner.

Here are suggestions my grandma gave me to keep the bread fluffy:

Knead the bread till its super elastic and will stretch to make a thin sheet almost. (stretch the bread dough in all four directions and it should be super thin and elastic) - A good chance for an arm workout. :P
    Use bread flour (different from regular flour and makes it lighter)
    Use less flour (adding too much makes the bread too stiff.)
    Also check the expiration date on the yeast...its important the yeast is fresh and not sitting in the packet for very long.

This seems contradictory to the don't knead too much advice? My head explodes easily :)

Yeast is very fresh! Bought new to make sure :)

Kinda sorta... the thing with bread is you have to know just when that elastic-y-ness is perfect. If you knead it past that point it will get dense. So Elastic but not super elastic... if that makes sense. The dough should be soft and pull easily into a "window" where its really stretched in all four directions till its thin (almost like balloon thickness and a little translucent) and if you can do that. Stop kneading. :) If you stretch it into a window and it breaks before it gets thin/translucent or if its super thick then you might have kneaded too much. I learned the hard way that my definition of elastic was wayyy to stiff- I kneaded it far past where it should be... lol.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

TRUST ME. This recipe is ridiculously easy and requires almost NO work and uses a dutch oven too. You can add whatever you want to it also.

http://www.simplysogood.com/2010/03/crusty-bread.html

Crusty Bread

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
    1 3/4 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon Instant or Rapid-rise yeast
    1 1/2 cups water

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast. Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours. Overnight works great. Heat oven to 450 degrees. When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let set while the pot is heating. Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough. Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.

I have made this recipe before, it is lovely and simple!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options

+1
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Try regular yeast and let it rise longer. All the tips given were great as well. Especially the keep trying, I make bread a lot, and some times they still don't come out right.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I'm telling you... This is an ART.
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have never made my own ho-made bread, but this thread has me tempted to give it a try!
  • odusgolp
    Options

+1

sloth4.gif
  • ElemenopeeZ
    ElemenopeeZ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh and yeah, use bread flour. It's worth it.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Oh and yeah, use bread flour. It's worth it.

I just bought 10lbs of regular flour. I shall donate 5 or something... just for you.

because-i-love-you_582.gif