I have hit a plateau...Any suggestions.

Options
Hello,

I have been eating healthy and exercising for the past 5 months and have dropped 45lbs. For the past two months though my weight has not dropped down from 180. It has been very hard to come down from that number. I have tried exercising a little more from 45 to and hr and 15 minutes to not eating any carbs at all. I also have been doing little weights with my cardio workout but still not helping much. Any suggestions.

Replies

• Kate_Bot
    Kate_Bot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It can be so frustrating to see your weight stay the same when you are putting in work.

You mentioned you are eating healthy. That's a great start, but are you weighing and measuring everything you consume? I'm always shocked at how bad I am at estimating or "eyeballing" portions without weight and measuring. Even if the foods you eat are nutrient dense, if you are eating too many calories, your weight won't go down.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Would you be comfortable opening your diary for us to take a look? Sometimes it really can help to have an extra pair of eyes double-check things for you.

Otherwise, the general advice is to double-check that your calorie and nutrition goals are set appropriately, make sure that you're tracking calories as accurately as possible, increase your exercise, and make sure you aren't eating back more exercise calories than you should be.
  • djpro1337
    djpro1337 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably stressing out too much from the exercise and then from being in a caloric deficit along with mentally thinking about it. It's all hormonal, and I can explain it in detail if you like, but what I suggest is eating around maintenance calories or a little over for a week to balance out your cortisol and leptin levels. It's essentially called a "refeed".
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I had several. Some I can eventually push through some I had to eat more calories, then drop back down to start losing weight again.
  • Mindfreak1999
    Options
    I have had the same problem, it could be that you are building muscle, remember muscle weighs twice as much as fat. The body goes through stages where you lose and then nothing for awhile. Nothing to worry about. :smile:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem, it could be that you are building muscle, remember muscle weighs twice as much as fat. The body goes through stages where you lose and then nothing for awhile. Nothing to worry about. :smile:

While it is possible under certain circumstances to build some muscle while in a calorie deficit, building enough muscle to offset the losses the OP should be seeing would be quite a trick.

Frankly, we don't even know if the OP is in a surplus or deficit right now. We don't know enough about her exercise routine or what her protein levels look like. There is not enough information here at all to decide that she's gaining muscle and doesn't need to worry about any of the other suggestions here.