Exercise induced anxiety

Options
So I'm very active, and my weight has always stressed me out. I was never diagnosed with a specific eating disorder, but I'll admit that I partake in eating disordered behavior very, very frequently. This has been noted medically.

Lately I've been working on eating properly/not all the time/etc. to help establish a "normal" relationship with food and exercise. I've been doing very well until today, when I had pizza and ice cream (two slices and a small bowl with whipped cream, if you were wondering). I know it's not the end of the world, and I KNOW I'm not going to be over my maintenance calories today.

I was planning on taking today off as a rest day (I've had job training for two weeks and my students move in tomorrow, so it'll be chaos. I want to enjoy my last day of silence), but because of my "cheat" meal, I've been freaking out about taking today off, especially since I took a scheduled rest day on Wednesday.

Does anyone else get this type of exercise (or lack there of) induced anxiety? How to do cope with it? And do any of you have any tips as to how I can continue to work past my issues surrounding food and weight? All comments appreciated!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just forcing yourself to relax (kind of an oxymoron, right? Forced relaxation?) and whatever you do, do NOT allow yourself to restrict eating. I understand the anxiety, you can take a light walk or do some yoga to help with the mental unease, but whatever you do, its not about the calories. Don't take a leisurely 3 hr walk to burn off the calories, it's a form of restriction that perpetuates the cycle. Just make yourself get through it, and at the end everything will be ok, and you will be a giant step closer to letting go of the anxiety.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm not really. If I work out too hard and don't eat enough I panic a bit but that's just dehydration (usually happens after sauna). Mostly, I just pick up where I left off and do extra cardio. No biggie.

Just relax. Its a marathon not a sprint.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Make a list of all the thoughts that are going through your head about taking today off.

Then review the list and ask yourself if the statements you wrote are fact or fiction. Can be a pretty powerful exercise!
  • jorbjorb
    Options
    Man so glad i'm not alone.
    been working out/playing sports for 6 years.
    last july i had a huge panic atttack at the gym. I think it was cause i took this dumb pre workout plus i drank so much coffee that day. I had huge heart palps and was getting paranoid which came the panic attack which i thought was a heart attack. emergency response came to me and said I was fine.

I got cleared by my doctor/cardiologist to excercise but still kept getting palps and stuff after my first panic attack I took longer breaks and some days i'd have border line almost panic attacks.

last week I played our first game of the season (hockey),. I was already paranoid going into the game and ended up having a panic attack on the bench in the 3rd period.

my doctor is going to do another test by making me wear a holter monitor before sending me to a psychiatrist.

so crappy that the one thing i love to do excercise and play hockey is causing me panic attacks.
  • OnTheGround
    Options
    See a therapist. Really. If it hinders you ability to function normally, you should see a therapist.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Pizza is your cheat meal? It's a staple of mine. How exactly did you cheat. You said you're still under your maintenance goals right?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Remember how far you've come. Look at old pictures on your phone, FB, whatever. Realize one meal isn't going to derail the train, and make good choices at your next opportunity.
  • compleatp
    Options
    I had an event with exercise that caused a panic attack and it would always be on my mind the next time I went back to exercise. I read this book and it helped me more than I can say to understand what was happening and why and what I can control.

http://www.amazon.com/Change-Your-Brain-Life-Obsessiveness/dp/0812929985
    last july i had a huge panic atttack at the gym. I think it was cause i took this dumb pre workout plus i drank so much coffee that day. I had huge heart palps and was getting paranoid which came the panic attack which i thought was a heart attack. emergency response came to me and said I was fine.

I got cleared by my doctor/cardiologist to excercise but still kept getting palps and stuff after my first panic attack I took longer breaks and some days i'd have border line almost panic attacks.

last week I played our first game of the season (hockey),. I was already paranoid going into the game and ended up having a panic attack on the bench in the 3rd period.

my doctor is going to do another test by making me wear a holter monitor before sending me to a psychiatrist.

so crappy that the one thing i love to do excercise and play hockey is causing me panic attacks.
  • compleatp
    Options
    I had an event with exercise that caused a panic attack and it would always be on my mind the next time I went back to exercise. I read this book and it helped me more than I can say to understand what was happening and why and what I can control.

• Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get this type of exercise (or lack there of) induced anxiety? How to do cope with it? And do any of you have any tips as to how I can continue to work past my issues surrounding food and weight? All comments appreciated!

1.) Go talk to a therapist

2.) Join a support group such as overeaters anonymous (they deal with all forms of compulsive/obsessive eating and exercise issues)

3.) Read good books about this issue (a quick google search will yield a series of excellent resources)

4.) Journal out your fears, feelings, grievances. The suggestion above to write out all your thoughts and assign "truth or lie" to each is indeed a powerful one. There are many great journaling exercises out there to do - here's a powerful one: http://www.12step.org/docs/Step4_Inventory.pdf

5.) Find and connect with people on here who either manage this issue well or have overcome it - mentoring under someone can be life-changing.

In order to overcome debilitating issues like this, you really need to pull out to a macro-level, take a big picture look at your inner world, history, etc., and do some major life-work. You'll need bigger and better resources than us here on MFP (though it's a great place for support!)... The good news is, if you seek change, you will find it. It will take time, but you will find it. Good luck! :)
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I read this book and it helped me more than I can say to understand what was happening and why and what I can control.

This was an awesome book! I learned so much by reading it. Dr. Amen also got me on the path to taking the 5-HTP supplement which is a bit like St. John's Wort but w/out the side effects. It was instrumental in helping me get through my S.A.D.D. in the winter, which always de-railed my weight loss efforts during the long midwestern months. He's brilliant.
  • jorbjorb
    Options
    just bought the book.
    thanks guys

I read this book and it helped me more than I can say to understand what was happening and why and what I can control.

This was an awesome book! I learned so much by reading it. Dr. Amen also got me on the path to taking the 5-HTP supplement which is a bit like St. John's Wort but w/out the side effects. It was instrumental in helping me get through my S.A.D.D. in the winter, which always de-railed my weight loss efforts during the long midwestern months. He's brilliant.