The 3500 calorie rule can't be true?

Options

Replies

• Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    My workout yesterday burned about 2,200 calories. I weighed about 5 lbs. less after the workout. How was that possible? I didn't burn 3500 calories.

Magic, duh!

gGLc38E.gif

Its-magic....gif
    mgc.gif

did you say... magic?

Oh, yes, I certainly did! And, I'll see your:

HjsXEvj.gif

And raise you a:

yks6Yjp.gif

I'll see your kitty and raise you a:

200.gif

WHOA!!!

I see that I'm out of my league. Imma' just take my kitty and cut my losses.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuates up and down for a variety of reasons. water retention time of day etc. I have been able to eat entirely within my calorie range for an entire week and show a gain then have a really horrible day and show a loss the next day.
    the 3500 number is a scientific fact. If you consistently eat more calories than you need you will gain weight. In order to figure out what you need to eat to maintain weight do a BMI calculation
  • mysecretself
    Options
    3500 is about fat not weight, remember water weight etc. so for instance you eat a lot high sodium your weight can go up
  • lola0003
    Options
    My workout yesterday burned about 2,200 calories. I weighed about 5 lbs. less after the workout. How was that possible? I didn't burn 3500 calories.

Magic, duh!

gGLc38E.gif

^^Sorry But this is proper making me LOL

Its-magic....gif
    mgc.gif

did you say... magic?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are these things called natural body weight fluctuations...water retention/release, more/less waste in your system from the last weigh in, etc. You can't look at the individual numbers...you have to look at the trend. Nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs...so gaining or losing weight isn't going to be a linear function. But if you consistently eat at a 500 calorie per day deficit (3,500 calories per week) you will, as a general trend, lose about 1 Lb per week...as a general trend over time...not necessarily day to day or week to week.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Somebody posted you didn't lose the 5 pounds. . . .obviously you did. How much would you weigh if you burned 17,500 calories? Hmmm. . . .I wonder.

As for the OP maybe weighing yourself every 6 hours will help. At least you'd have to wake up to do something. Seriously, go to weekly weighing and best of luck.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

Well since fat is 3,500 calories per pound when your body burns it, and muscle is 900 calories per pound when your body burns it, you obviously burnt up your bones! Since bone is about 556 calories per pound if you exclude the fatty marrow, and we can't actually digest and use all the proteins that make up collagen in bone for our nutrition, so 2,200 calories would be about the calories available in breaking down 5 lbs of bone!

See how silly it is to choose what material your body burnt for fuel and convert it to a weight? You can't choose, or easily know. On a serious note, you probably lost mostly water weight, and your scale can have a daily error of at least several pounds. You probably also didn't burn as much as you think you did.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Somebody posted you didn't lose the 5 pounds. . . .obviously you did. How much would you weigh if you burned 17,500 calories? Hmmm. . . .I wonder.

As for the OP maybe weighing yourself every 6 hours will help. At least you'd have to wake up to do something. Seriously, go to weekly weighing and best of luck.

*chuckles*

stop obsessing, OP. They're called weight fluctuations due to water weight, dietary changes, etc. you sweated, didn't you? That's a loss of weight right there.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

Magic, duh!

gGLc38E.gif

Its-magic....gif
    mgc.gif

did you say... magic?

HjsXEvj.gif

And raise you a:

yks6Yjp.gif

This is completely against MFP protocol. Cat gifs start on page 4; and saying Waffle is full of poo is wrong, he lost 5 pounds, sheez. Interesting comments so far; a gallon of water weighs more then 8 pounds, who knew?
  • Onderwoman
    Options

Well since fat is 3,500 calories per pound when your body burns it, and muscle is 900 calories per pound when your body burns it, you obviously burnt up your bones! Since bone is about 556 calories per pound if you exclude the fatty marrow, and we can't actually digest and use all the proteins that make up collagen in bone for our nutrition, so 2,200 calories would be about the calories available in breaking down 5 lbs of bone!

That is one scary workout!
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This couldn't have been water weight in March.

I don't understand this part of the op....?
  • Onderwoman
    Options

He'd be boneless if he burnt 17,500 calories, weren't you paying attention?
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Bonesless waffle poo? Sounds like something at the Texas state fair. Okay OP, news flash, the 3500 calorie rule is. . . .wait for it. . . . .wait for it. . . ..true. Phew, next caller. . . .
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i really really wish i could get the universe to take scale weight less seriously.

you do not have a weight. you have a weight range. on average it goes 3.5 pounds above or below a median at any given time.

when you weigh yourself daily, which i do so i can understand what my average is, you can look at it one of two ways

"ohmygosh i gained a pound since yesterday! this diet thing SUCKS no matter what i do i magically gain fat overnight, even when i eat at a defecit!"

or you can say

"oh, look, i am within my weight range... well, its all good, i know i have been doing what i was supposed to do so as long as my average doesnt go up consistenly, ad goes down consistently OVER A PERIOD OF TIME, i am golden"

the average will go down over a period of time if you are eating a defecit, and will increas over time if you are overeating, but neither thing happens in one day.

when i stopped treating the scale like a constant, i started enjoying my weight loss journey more and trusting my process more, not a number on a scale, my process. i actually think that chage in thinking is the second cause of my ability to stick with it this time compared to other times. (first being a discovery that i actually like fitness)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Bonesless waffle poo? Sounds like something at the Texas state fair. Okay OP, news flash, the 3500 calorie rule is. . . .wait for it. . . . .wait for it. . . ..true. Phew, next caller. . . .

It has to be fried to be at the Texas state fair.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

See how silly it is to choose what material your body burnt for fuel and convert it to a weight? You can't choose, or easily know. On a serious note, you probably lost mostly water weight, and your scale can have a daily error of at least several pounds. You probably also didn't burn as much as you think you did.

"You probably didn't burn as much as you think you did" really?
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

It has to be fried to be at the Texas state fair.

Thank you, yes, deep fried boneless waffle poo on a stick.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Agreed that the 3500 calorie rule is not true. Our bodies are all different, our metabolisms are different, and some of us burn more calories doing the same exercise because we do it with more intensity. Like everything else the 3500 calories is a guide - not a fact.

The fact however is that you must be in a deficit to lose weight - meaning you must burn in energy (daily life + exercise), more than you eat. It really is that simple.

There are different things at play here - maybe you have miscalculated your TDEE, miscalculated your burn (if you used MFP numbers that could be an issue - IMO they are way too generous), or have miscalculated your intake. All that plus weight loss/gain isn't linear.

Strive to consistently live in a deficit and you will lose.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Definitely water weight fluctuations...however, this thread may help answer some questions about the ol' 3500 cal thing...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat?hl=3500+calories+myth&page=1

edited to fix link
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

Magic, duh!

gGLc38E.gif

Where does the cat come from?!

Oh. And as everyone else said - your weight fluctuates for all sorts of reasons so focusing on a weekly goal is a good idea.

But seriously....where does he hide the cat?

Its-magic....gif
    mgc.gif

did you say... magic?

HjsXEvj.gif

And raise you a:

yks6Yjp.gif