I burn like a wet matchstick

Options
2»

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Great topic title!

I'm a guy, 70 kg (154 lb.), and to burn 500 calories in an hour of cycling, I need to be cycling at 25-30 km/h (16-18 mph) on flat ground, somewhat slower in hilly terrain. However, unless you're doing a lot of hills, or you're going slowly, weight is less important than speed for cycling; above about 20 km/h (12.5 mph), the majority of resistance comes from the wind, and wind resistance is proportional to your body's surface, not weight.

You can use the calculator at http://www.bikecalculator.com to estimate your energy expenditure in cycling. It might be a little higher than the 400 in 90 minutes that Endomondo calculated. A lot depends on your speed. Plugging in your weight, assuming a 12 kg bicycle and a fairly upright riding position, that site calculates that you would burn 400 calories in 90 minutes on flat terrain at an average speed of 21.4 km/h (13.3 mph).
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    MFP estimates are generally too high and people who rely on them solely are likely overestimating their burn. If you are wearing an HRM, that will be a much closer read.

We don't burn as much as we think when we exercise. One of the reasons why people have a hard time losing weight when they incorporate exercise is because they overestimate the burn and eat too much. Or say, "I just ran 5k, so I can eat whatever I want," which isn't really true at all. A 5k run for me only burns 500 calories.

Exercise has fantastic benefits, including calorie burns, but the average person cannot out exercise a bad diet.

500 is great. My 5Ks give me a little less than a 300 burn.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    MFP estimates are generally too high and people who rely on them solely are likely overestimating their burn. If you are wearing an HRM, that will be a much closer read.

We don't burn as much as we think when we exercise. One of the reasons why people have a hard time losing weight when they incorporate exercise is because they overestimate the burn and eat too much. Or say, "I just ran 5k, so I can eat whatever I want," which isn't really true at all. A 5k run for me only burns 500 calories.

Exercise has fantastic benefits, including calorie burns, but the average person cannot out exercise a bad diet.

500 is great. My 5Ks give me a little less than a 300 burn.

Wow! On hills? How fast do you run it? It's hilly around here and I'm not a great runner, so it takes me 30 minutes.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's cause you're tiny. Not the worst problem to have! :drinker: I can relate, I weigh 123 and don't burn that many calories either. We just can't eat like big people...
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Start lifting. You're not going to get the instant massive extra calories that you're after, but it will help your resting metabolism, allowing you to eat a bit more without fat gains!

Lifting does help you burn more calories at rest and there are a lot of great body comp benefits from lifting.

That said, this approach is dangerous. There's no good way to measure the burn from lifting and most people will end up eating too much.

you can figure it out by monitoring your weight gain/loss over a period of time while logging how many calories you eat. Anyone who's ever done a bulk cycle while logging their food intake will know at what kind of calorie numbers they maintain and at what numbers they start to gain weight. So I don't see where the danger is to be honest, so long as you're logging accurately and monitoring whether your weight is moving in the direction you want it to move in.

In my experience (which includes the experience of friends on my friends list etc here that I converse with a lot) a lot of women tend to underestimate how much they burn when lifting, and when it comes to switching from cutting to bulking for the first time, are often surprised at how much they need to eat to start gaining

example: calorie calculators say I should maintain around 1500-1800 cals/day (depending on the calculator) - reality is last time I was doing cutting/bulking cycles, I had to eat 2100 cals/day to maintain and more like 2300 cals/day for bulking. I'm not very tall and wasn't that active, as in I didn't do cardio and spent a lot of the day sitting.. but I was doing stronglifts 3x a week.

+1
    You're right. Instead of no good way, I should have said no easy way. For people who are really dedicated to monitoring this closely, it can be done. But not everyone has the tools or dedication to know as much as your friends who are going through bulking/cutting cycles. Heck, I'm pretty into fitness and I don't even want to get into all that.

My comment was geared towards people who aren't as advanced or knowledgeable about burns. If you don't really understand it, or what your body is burning, it's dangerous to say "I can eat more because I'm lifting," without really knowing how much more.

*rolling eyes*

If you're weighing yourself once every week or two and using a tape measure once a month, and not being silly with eating 500+ calories in excess a day, you're going to see it, whether or not you're "advanced or knowledgeable about burns." (Please define "burn" for me, too...)

Lifting to develop even a bit more LBM especially when the OP is quite petite and at or near GW will give her a little extra room for enjoying a bigger portion or a treat or two, which is I think what she was asking for. You don't have to perfect the science to be successful at this.

OP, if you're interested in starting to lift, I really liked ChaLEAN Xtreme program (I am not a BB coach), or get yourself a few sets of dumbbells (8lbs, 15lbs, 25 lbs might be good starting weights for a petite female) and look into body weight resistance (push ups, planks, squats, etc.) I do think these types of exercises have a more sustained effect on metabolism than just 60 minutes straight cardio.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Start lifting. You're not going to get the instant massive extra calories that you're after, but it will help your resting metabolism, allowing you to eat a bit more without fat gains!

Lifting does help you burn more calories at rest and there are a lot of great body comp benefits from lifting.

That said, this approach is dangerous. There's no good way to measure the burn from lifting and most people will end up eating too much.

you can figure it out by monitoring your weight gain/loss over a period of time while logging how many calories you eat. Anyone who's ever done a bulk cycle while logging their food intake will know at what kind of calorie numbers they maintain and at what numbers they start to gain weight. So I don't see where the danger is to be honest, so long as you're logging accurately and monitoring whether your weight is moving in the direction you want it to move in.

In my experience (which includes the experience of friends on my friends list etc here that I converse with a lot) a lot of women tend to underestimate how much they burn when lifting, and when it comes to switching from cutting to bulking for the first time, are often surprised at how much they need to eat to start gaining

example: calorie calculators say I should maintain around 1500-1800 cals/day (depending on the calculator) - reality is last time I was doing cutting/bulking cycles, I had to eat 2100 cals/day to maintain and more like 2300 cals/day for bulking. I'm not very tall and wasn't that active, as in I didn't do cardio and spent a lot of the day sitting.. but I was doing stronglifts 3x a week.

+1
    You're right. Instead of no good way, I should have said no easy way. For people who are really dedicated to monitoring this closely, it can be done. But not everyone has the tools or dedication to know as much as your friends who are going through bulking/cutting cycles. Heck, I'm pretty into fitness and I don't even want to get into all that.

My comment was geared towards people who aren't as advanced or knowledgeable about burns. If you don't really understand it, or what your body is burning, it's dangerous to say "I can eat more because I'm lifting," without really knowing how much more.

*rolling eyes*

If you're weighing yourself once every week or two and using a tape measure once a month, and not being silly with eating 500+ calories in excess a day, you're going to see it, whether or not you're "advanced or knowledgeable about burns." (Please define "burn" for me, too...)

Lifting to develop even a bit more LBM especially when the OP is quite petite and at or near GW will give her a little extra room for enjoying a bigger portion or a treat or two, which is I think what she was asking for. You don't have to perfect the science to be successful at this.

OP, if you're interested in starting to lift, I really liked ChaLEAN Xtreme program (I am not a BB coach), or get yourself a few sets of dumbbells (8lbs, 15lbs, 25 lbs might be good starting weights for a petite female) and look into body weight resistance (push ups, planks, squats, etc.) I do think these types of exercises have a more sustained effect on metabolism than just 60 minutes straight cardio.

Listen, everyone here has different goals. Not everyone wants to track that thoroughly. I don't. I don't weigh and measure myself frequently at all.

And I think you know what I mean by burn. Let's not be dramatic. It's a commonly used phrase on the boards. But, since you want to be pedantic, how about calorie expenditure? Is that better for you?

When you are small, you have a small window between losing, maintenance and gaining. People who want to go ahead and eat more calories because they are lifting should go ahead and do that. People who want to go ahead and bulk or cut should go ahead and do that. But, not everyone wants to get that granular. It's a pretty common diet mistake to overeat because of miscalculated calorie expenditure. The comment that I originally replied to told the OP to just "eat a few more calories" without any kind of methodology. That's not helpful to the OP or lurkers who are watching the board.

I don't really think I'm saying anything that new or outrageous. But, hey, eyeroll all you want if it makes you feel important.

ETA: There are a lot of people on the forums that have no knowledge about this stuff...yet. So, yeah, I mean by advanced or knowledgeable about how bodies take in and expend calories. You kind of need to have an understanding about how that works. And, before you tell me that's dumb, when you answer your 1800th post about "why am I not losing" and "walking my dog burned 1000 calories" and "what fad diet works best" you come to realize that this is a learning process and everyone is at a different stage.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am after advice and a chance for a mini rant. I seem to burn very little when i work out.
    Then increase your intensity. Working out shouldn't be approached like a leisurely meandering tourist fresh off the boat in a new port city.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    A "measly" 400 cals? :huh: That's actually a pretty standard burn for a woman who's already fit. The fitter and stronger you get, the harder you'll have to work out to get the same burn.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

+1

*rolling eyes*

Adding LBM will give you an increase in metabolic calorie expenditure, but the amount is completely negligible.

If you add 1 lb of muscle to your body, your BMR will increase by 5-10 calories per day. That's not enough to make up a snack.

Sure, over the period of 5 years, you might be able to eat a small cup cake every day, but that's not a realistic value to consider.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate, vo2 max rate, and your resting heart rate will determine your estimate of calories burned when using a calorie calculator like the one shape sense provides online.

Never compare yourself to others

Happy training
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Great topic title!

I'm a guy, 70 kg (154 lb.), and to burn 500 calories in an hour of cycling, I need to be cycling at 25-30 km/h (16-18 mph) on flat ground, somewhat slower in hilly terrain. However, unless you're doing a lot of hills, or you're going slowly, weight is less important than speed for cycling; above about 20 km/h (12.5 mph), the majority of resistance comes from the wind, and wind resistance is proportional to your body's surface, not weight.

You can use the calculator at http://www.bikecalculator.com to estimate your energy expenditure in cycling. It might be a little higher than the 400 in 90 minutes that Endomondo calculated. A lot depends on your speed. Plugging in your weight, assuming a 12 kg bicycle and a fairly upright riding position, that site calculates that you would burn 400 calories in 90 minutes on flat terrain at an average speed of 21.4 km/h (13.3 mph).

Thanks you for the advice, I checked the link and ur right!
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input on this thread, I was not expecting many answers...

I have learned the following:

1. Get over it, I am small so will not burn many calories, I might have an appetite of a 6ft7 bloke but need to eat and exercise for my size

2. To be more efficient it is worth building some muscle, I will be renewing my gym membership tomorrow and have already asked a friend to show me how to lift

I appreciate the time and advice you guys have given :flowerforyou: