5'9 ladies, does ANYONE want to be in the 120s?

Options
13»

Replies

• Therese1975
    Therese1975 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Clare

I know a post by a middle-aged chick is unlikely to make you feel any differently but I'll give it a shot....

I am 5'8". I was always in the 150s when I was in high school and I thought I looked "obese." Seriously. Like "no one could possibly find me attractive" fat.

I CRIED she I got my wedding pictures back because I thought I looked so terrible at 165.

I look back at those photos of me now and I realize I looked.....normal. Even good sometimes.

I hope you reach this revelation sooner than I did.
  • ElectricDame
    Options
    I'm almost 5'9", but my goal is 150. I was 125 in highschool but not for healthy reasons and it showed.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    5'8.5" and goal is 125. I don't know that I'll get there. It's my high school weight. Back then, I was skinny, but not scary skinny. Healthy skinny.

I'm not a kid anymore, though. I know I might not get there.

Different people are different, though. Some have bigger bones and more muscle. Some are just happy with a few extra pounds. Whatever works for you! :)
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and would love to see how I look in the 140s. I can't even begin to imagine the 120s tho. I have small wrist and ankles. I just feel that would be too small for me.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your build (frame and muscle). Some people look great at low weights, while others look gaunt. I'm 5'7, and I look frightening in the 120s (friends, family, everyone worried about me) because my frame is medium plus I've got a good amount of muscle mass.

It's not just about losing fat. It's also about building and maintaining muscle in order to have that "toned" look. Pilates is great for that, for instance.

You're really young. Check in with your doctor/dietitian for advice. Good luck!
    Same here. 'm 5'7 and recently got down to the mid 120's. I looked awful and my friends were also worried about me. Plus i'm older and the loss made my skin look very wrinkled. My sweet spot seems to be the low to mid 130's.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I was in the low 120's when I was your age. People told me I was too skinny all the time, but that didn't stop me from playing volleyball for a pretty darn good Division I program. That is to say: I was healthy at that size because I took good care of myself. But I looked just as good later at 140 with a little more muscle added. So I would join the others who are telling you to go for body composition rather than just a goal weight.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I do not. I am large framed with a good amount of lean mass. My by goal weight is 150.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and the lowest I got down to was 129. At that weight people had stopped telling me I looked good and would pull my husband aside and ask him if I was sick. I looked horrible. My guess is that instead of losing weight you should be lifting weights and building muscle.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 1/2" and do not look healthy at all below 135, at 110 (I had a metabolism disorder when I was a teenager) I looked like a refugee and half starved. I actually was at my healthiest at 145, and my goal weight right now is 160 ( I will reevaluate when I reach it) depending on fat % and how I feel, more than what the scale says. I think you should focus on working out to burn the fat and build lean muscle more than hitting an "ideal" on a scale that may or may not be healthy for your frame.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and I'm 126lbs. I like it.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    You should lift heavy to get rid of the extra fat
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I'm 5'8" or 5'9" and I struggle to get above 125. I lift heavy three times a week and do very little cardio (all walking and yoga). Everyone is different!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a little taller (nearly 5'10") but all the other ladies have it right- it all depends.

Look back at my pics (they should be open) in the very fit pictures with very little body fat I was between 165-175 and in a size 6 jean.
    I haven't been in the 120's since the 6th grade and I wasn't fat then... I have to imagine that at 120lbs you'd have to mummify me. ;)

My word of advice- lift weights, eat clean, be healthy, love your body.

That number on the scale is just that- a number. Worry about your body composition instead and you'll be much much happier.:flowerforyou:
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights would help, no good losing weight when you still have the fat, as you have found.
  • housemamma
    housemamma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and weighed about 125 in my twenties and was healthy. Like you, I'm also very small boned and dr's never had a problem with my weight. Naturally the weight crept up as I aged, however I'm 49 and at 135 now and just need to firm up so I'm lifting weights. My only warning is watch out for the "skinny fat" where you are concerned with the number on a scale but do not have muscle. I seem to have a lot of upper back pain most likely due to lack of muscle.

We are all different, I see the photos of women who are 5'9" who look amazing at higher weights.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I'm 5'8" or 5'9" and I struggle to get above 125. I lift heavy three times a week and do very little cardio (all walking and yoga). Everyone is different!

Hey, I've found my twin!

When I read your post, I had to check out your pics, and it's like looking in a mirror. Well, bodywise, lol.
  • jenfleur2014
    jenfleur2014 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" with medium frame. 120 lbs would be super skinny to me, my goal is 140-145.