Do hunger pains go away?

Options

Replies

• mercedesguy
    Options
    I like your quotes.
    The soup thing is a great idea.
    Today is my first day here so I will try some soup idea tonight.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good suggestions on this board. The hunger pains do go away, you just need to find the right combination of food, fluids and timing that works for you. I had to try a lot of different foods and the times when I eat them until I found the right balance for me. Try logging not only the foods you eat but when you ate them and how you felt later. That is how I finally figured it out.
  • mercedesguy
    Options
    The stomach doesn't shrink?
    Well that's depressing.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Some people feel actually less hungry after excersising. I just cannot eat for a while after running, for example, it literally kills my appetite. For others, however, it's opposite...
    How does excersising affect you?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Some people feel actually less hungry after excersising. I just cannot eat for a while after running, for example, it literally kills my appetite. For others, however, it's opposite...
    How does excersising affect you?

I am less hungry right after but I do get a healthy appetite. That is different. I know why I am hungry and can control my eating easily. I don't eat as much as mfp calculates I burn.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Hunger can be complicated. Sometimes it's emotional cravings -- like trying to soothe a depressing or anxious reaction you're having. Sometimes it's your body crying out for more specific nutrients (like in pregnancy) not more calories. Sometimes, it's thirst. Sometimes, it's just habit and you're not actually physically hungry.

For me, I noticed that there were times when I knew I was full but still hungry -- it was such a confusing signal to be experiencing. I later found out it's because I have insulin resistance. So, cutting back on carbs and using a specific medication really helped for me to feel "normal" in that respect again.

I also found that intermittent fasting really helped me (I opt for 5:2). I certainly didn't expect it to, but it really helped me train myself on what true physical hunger was -- rather than an attempt to self-soothe, habit, etc. Plus, it helps with insulin sensitivity, so that may also have really helped me in particular as I'm insulin resistant. Even on days when I'm not fasting, I don't eat nearly as much as I'm allowed to according my TDEE. I just find that I'm not that hungry -- much closer to intuitive eating (though I still track to be sure at this point).

Lastly, I found that in addition to cutting down the carbs, if I ate more nutrient dense food -- usually veggies, fruit, meat, cheese, etc. -- I was less hungry. I figure it's because I was getting more bang for my buck from my calories and I wasn't craving additional food for extra nutrients.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Also, in people who are overweight, even some who aren't...that feeling of 'full' is actually very overfull, but it's what people are used to feeling.

Some people claim that feeling 'full' is just being satiated, not an actual 'full' or 'pushing' feeling

I know I've eaten til it almost hurts, that's what I used to consider full, now I just consider when I'm not longer hungry being full. It's made a huge difference

I hope I explained that, it's sort of hard to use the correct words for a feeling :)

This is the same for me. Eating til I was over-full was very satisfying and I always thought...'there...I'm full" but when I changed my eating habits and focused on really feeling whether I was hungry or not, it made a big difference. Actually, it makes it very easy for me to maintain when I eat until I am not hungry anymore. That happens much sooner than getting filled up does.
  • susanmOAKLAND
    susanmOAKLAND Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't serve yourself "seconds" of the EXACT same portion you just finished, instead, serve only 1/4 to 1/3 of that amount.

Wise words! My biggest problem is impulsive, greedy eating--which is tied to the I am so hungry and not full mindset you describe. If I am really hungry and in control of my senses, I drink water, get up and walk around, and then see if I am still hungry--or if I can finish with an apple, say.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of possibilities that may help.

Learn to tell the difference between "emotionally" full and actually, physically sated. Oftentimes, I want to keep eating and feel "dissatisfied" long after I have physically eaten enough.

Learn to tell the difference between hunger and thirst. This may sound silly, but it can really be difficult to tell the difference, and sometimes I still can't. Try drinking a glass of water and see if you feel better. If you are still having actual hunger pains and your stomach is actually growling, then you probably are still actually hungry.
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    With smaller meals, the effective volume of the stomach tends to shrink. This is very important in the perception of hunger and satiety.

This is false information. Just want to point that out. The size of the stomach stays the same whether you are 500 lbs or 100 lbs.

Actually that's not true. I'm a GI pathologist and the stomach of a 500 lb person is going to be way bigger than the stomach of a 100 lb person. (In general, unless they are a professional eater or something)I'm not saying the stomach shrinks (I think we just get used to the feeling of less food) but if you consistently overeat, the stomach "stretches" out.

I've done autopsies on 500 lb folks before, ALL of their organs are usually bigger.

OK. But, it's a fallacy that the stomach shrinks when you start to eat less. Correct?

At least, everything I have ever read on reputable websites, says that the stomach does not shrink. It basically stays the same size once you reach adulthood.

So, if I'm 80 lbs overweight, and I start to watch my calories, my stomach doesn't shrink at all. Correct?

I don't have proof, but I don't think it shrinks in size. I think we just get used to it being less full.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Last time I felt full it is because (per my calories) I over ate.... aka ate what was a "normal' portion to me. When I meet my calorie goals, I never stop feeling hungry. But... I have only been at this for 6 months or so, and not with great success...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    With smaller meals, the effective volume of the stomach tends to shrink. This is very important in the perception of hunger and satiety.

This is false information. Just want to point that out. The size of the stomach stays the same whether you are 500 lbs or 100 lbs.

Actually that's not true. I'm a GI pathologist and the stomach of a 500 lb person is going to be way bigger than the stomach of a 100 lb person. (In general, unless they are a professional eater or something)I'm not saying the stomach shrinks (I think we just get used to the feeling of less food) but if you consistently overeat, the stomach "stretches" out.

I've done autopsies on 500 lb folks before, ALL of their organs are usually bigger.

OK. But, it's a fallacy that the stomach shrinks when you start to eat less. Correct?

At least, everything I have ever read on reputable websites, says that the stomach does not shrink. It basically stays the same size once you reach adulthood.

So, if I'm 80 lbs overweight, and I start to watch my calories, my stomach doesn't shrink at all. Correct?
    The stomach expands and contracts.
  • lorib642
    Options

I wonder how low you have to decrease intake. They ate 600 cal for 4 weeks and lost 9 kg if I am reading correctly.

Thanks for the study :)
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A couple other thought occur to me with regard to feeling hungry

1) Experimentation is good. Try keeping a little notebook of meals and types of foods that do feel satisfying to "you".

I hear it again and again, fats are satisfying and protein is satisfying - this is true in a general way. But volume of food is satisfying, too, and that's why my recommendation was to include a lot of veggies in a meal and to stretch your protein portion of meat with things like stir fry and stews and stuff because the meats add additional flavor to the veggies when they are cooked together.

But everyone is different. I know many people who say they love a few nuts as a snack. Me, personally, a few nuts, which are really high in calories never cuts is - it seems like a measly snack to me and never fills me up. In fact, if you give me just a few cashews, I'll eat close to half the can, in the same way that many people simply cannot eat just a few potato chips.

So, for me, personally, I feel way more satisfied with a cup of carrots and a cup of celery and a bit of dip, rather than just a handful of nuts.

Everyone is different. What works for one person, might not work for you. Trying different things, different food approaches and combinations is a good thing, and then make some notes about what is "good for you".

Also, many people are used to having dessert or something sweet at the end of the meal. Often, people like this can feel like a meal is "not finished" or that they are still hungry, if this element is missing. It's not really hunger but it is mistaken for hunger because things just feel not finished.

If this is case, you can plan for it with a tiny sweet. Save enough calories for a very small portion of yogurt with some fresh fruit in it and perhaps a tiny bit of jam on top, or even just a teaspoon of chocolate sauce or something. If you genuinely have eaten enough dinner, with a good volume of food because of many veggies, a very, very tiny "sweet ending" may help you to feel that the meal has properly come to a close.
  • lorib642
    Options
    Thanks, a lot of this helped.

Someone mentioned that feeling overstuffed is full, is a mindset I have to change to thinking that the absence of hunger is when I am done.

And, I have been "eating" a lot of non-solid food- shakes, yogurts. I had a shake this morning which was a lot of calories and it didn't hold me over as long as eggs and toast or oatmeal and fruit probably would.

I tried to increase my fiber intake yesterday, I hadn't been paying attention to that. I did feel more full. I asked my dad for his soup recipes but they are pretty bland so I will find different ones or buy premade bean soups. I like soup and that would give me protein and fiber.

And, i had help calculating my BMR and TDEE and upped my calorie goal some.

and water, lots of water

I am not going to wait for my stomach to shrink but maybe my appetite will decrease
  • lorib642
    Options
    The best way to get used to being hungry without overthinking it is to delay your first meal of the day. It doesn't have to be long, maybe an hour or two, but you know in the morning that your stomach is empty and this should help you adapt in other situations.
    And there is no such thing as morning hypoglycemia in the normal adult person.

Thank you. For some reason I don't feel very hungry in the morning usually. Maybe it is more psychological? I don't have a problem with hypoglycemia.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Thanks, a lot of this helped.

Someone mentioned that feeling overstuffed is full, is a mindset I have to change to thinking that the absence of hunger is when I am done.

And, I have been "eating" a lot of non-solid food- shakes, yogurts. I had a shake this morning which was a lot of calories and it didn't hold me over as long as eggs and toast or oatmeal and fruit probably would.

I tried to increase my fiber intake yesterday, I hadn't been paying attention to that. I did feel more full. I asked my dad for his soup recipes but they are pretty bland so I will find different ones or buy premade bean soups. I like soup and that would give me protein and fiber.

And, i had help calculating my BMR and TDEE and upped my calorie goal some.

and water, lots of water

I am not going to wait for my stomach to shrink but maybe my appetite will decrease

Oh, if you're getting a lot of your calories through shakes, I think that may be a big part of the problem. I've always seen that as a strategy for bulking -- because drinking your calories is usually less satisfying and fulfilling for most people. So, they can often squeeze another protein shake in there when they can't stand to look at another piece of meat.

I think if you drop or reduce the shakes and get your calories from more whole sources -- meat, veggies, fruits -- you'll find that you feel fuller longer. I know that's the case for me and I only use shakes when I'm trying to increase protein or overall calories (just adding more fat to the protein shakes.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Yes. The first couple weeks it was tough for me to get accustomed to eating at a deficit to lose weight.