Crock pot Chicken Mac & Cheese

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
I just made this today, and from the few tastes I've had (dinner isn't for a while yet), it tastes really good. I got the recipe from the sparkrecipes app, http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=84424 . You should read the user comments on there, because, like me, they thought it needed something else. Another spice, or onions, or garlic...just something else.

Ingredients

1 can cream of mushroom soup (low fat preferred, fat free falls apart in this recipe)

1 can cheese soup

1 can cream of onion (low fat preferred -- can be replaced with cream of celery or chicken if preferred)

1 pound of chicken breasts

8oz sour cream (low fat is prefered)

1 pound any pasta shape

1 package frozen veggies (we prefer cauliflower but any can be used -- broccolli blends work well also)

Directions
in crockpot mix the soups together. place chicken in soup mixture, making sure they are well covered.

cook in crockpot on low for 6-8 hours. chicken will fall apart when done. **SEE NOTE BELOW**

once chicken is done cooking, mix sour cream into the sauce. let thicken with heat off.

cook pasta according to package directions. add frozen veggies into the pasta water and cook at same time. drain.

place pasta/veggie mixture back into large pot. add chicken and sauce on top of pasta. mix together so pasta is covered and chicken is shredded.

may add shredded cheese on top to serve, or a dollop of sour cream if desired.

makes approximately 8 servings, depending on the type of past used. larger pasta shapes will yield larger serving sizes.

Number of Servings: 8

I used fat free sour cream, low sodium versions of the soup, so the nutritional content was even lower. I don't like mushrooms, so I subbed out for cream of chicken soup. Next time, I might use a can of spicy cheese soup, a cream of chicken, and a regular cheese soup to make it extra cheesy. Also, I found that the cooking time was WAY lower than on this recipe. This was finished about TWO HOURS sooner than the recipe suggested.

This is the nutritional value using low fat/low sodium soups, and fat free sour cream:
Chicken Mac & Cheese, 1 serving(s) 315 Calories 5 fat 7 fiber 20 protein 615 sodium 51 carbs

Replies

• KierstyPants
    KierstyPants Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    YUMM. thank you!
  • toots99
    Options
    I think this would be really, REALLLLLLLLY good with some bleu cheese mixed in. :love:
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I bet my husband would love this!!!
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I think this would be really, REALLLLLLLLY good with some bleu cheese mixed in. :love:

AGREED

Thanks so much- cant wait to try
  • kludwig04
    kludwig04 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!!!! Can't wait to try this one.
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    I can't belive how low sodium it is for so many canned soups! Def will try this
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Yummy!
  • lisaking869
    lisaking869 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sounds Delicious- cant wait to try it!
  • toots99
    Options
    If any of you make this and put your own spin on it, let me know how it goes!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely trying this one! Thanks for sharing.
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ohh...sounds good...will let ya know :)
  • toots99
    Options
    I just had it for dinner. It was good, but it was more like a chicken pot pie without the crust. :laugh: I think for sure I'd use two cheese soups next time instead of one. I would also add more chicken and veggies, just to "beef" up the nutritional value and make a bigger serving without adding too many more calories.
  • toots99
    Options
    Bumping my own topic! :flowerforyou:
  • sgj104
    Options
    sounds so good!
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jmjones29
    jmjones29 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I really like this program.. Thanks Jill for the INFO... :smile:
  • Neuroticwench
    Neuroticwench Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sounds fantastic, I will have to try this. Thanks for sharing!
  • toots99
    Options
    I just made this again, and used 2 lbs of chicken instead of 1 lb. I used two bags of chopped broccoli instead of one. And I used a can of broccoi cheese soup, a can of cream of chicken, and a can of nacho cheese soup. The sodium is a slight bit higher than the original recipe, but I like it better this way.
  • lisaking869
    lisaking869 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I made this for my family and it was a HIT! I have even done a non- noodle variation and served it over low fat biscuits! Both are delicious! Thanks for sharing!
  • toots99
    Options
    I'm glad you liked it! :smile: