2000 calories feels like torture

Options
I started using MFP for 2 weeks now and I saw a pattern in my diet. Averaged out on a week I eat about 2500 calories per day. Sometimes 2800 when i go junk and then next day i don't feel so hungry so only 2400, but average is 2500. Since exercise shouldn't be punishment I try to eat about 2000 calories, that's my BMR. I'm so hungry but my dinner is going to be 1200 calories. So I can't eat more (It's noon and i already consumed 1100 calories). Will the hunger ever stop?

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    open your diary so we can help you.

you are certainly not starving!
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh and how tall are you?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I see you've got 80 kilos to lose -- what goal did MFP give you, and how much did you tell them you wanted to lose?
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Wow. 2000 cals plus seems like a downright feast to me and a 1200 cal dinner? That's only about 300 cals less that what I normally eat--in a DAY.
    I suspect it may have a lot to do with WHAT you are eating, not the cals. More protein for example, or foods with fiber to keep you fuller.
  • Xuluwuki
    Xuluwuki Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary and I'm 22 and 98.9 kgs. Oh and I'm 180 cm tall. I said to MFP I'm a couch potatoe and I plan on exercising 4 times per week 15 minutes.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I reckon your hungry as your probably eating a lot of carb based foods or processed foods?

Stock up on

Lots of protein
    Fruit
    Veggies

Drink lots of water too - Some people think there hungry - They are actually thirsty.

If your drinking soda/fizzy pop/coke etc - Cut that out!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary and I'm 22 and 98.9 kgs. Oh and I'm 180 cm tall. I said to MFP I'm a couch potatoe and I plan on exercising 4 times per week 15 minutes.
    I recognize very.. very few things, but it's just a language barrier.

If you're hungry on 2000 calories, eat more foods with proteins/fats to keep you full. Fiber does wonders too.

Colruyt - Boomstammetje,
    Groentesoep Zelfgemaakt - Groentesoep Zelfgemaakt,
    Random - Aardappelpuree
    Marc Payot - Mie Toastbrood, 2 sneetje/tranche
    Beleg - Kipsalade,

This may be the first time that an OP opening a diary leaves me to where I can't offer advice.
  • pauldiggle
    Options
    It sounds like your feelings of hunger are caused by too many carbs, which means blood glucose levels spike and then later crash. I've had a lot of success with restricting carbs, eating moderate protein and high fat (the ketogenic diet - not sure if it's a dirty word round here, but it has really worked for me) which keeps your blood glucose rock solid at modest low levels and really kills those hunger pangs. Starting from very similar stats to yours, I've been able to eat 1500 calories a day like this for the past 2 months, and lost a significant amount of weight in the process.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    If you exercise more, you can eat more. You earn exercise calories.

Make sure you're weighing your food. You could be overestimating calories.

Look at your food choices. Are the foods you're eating filling you up? Whole grain bread, high volume veggies (cucumber, spinach, bell pepper), and lean proteins are your friend.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I see you've got 80 kilos to lose -- what goal did MFP give you, and how much did you tell them you wanted to lose?

I had to double check that :laugh: OP's goal is to get to 80 kg, he's about 100 now (silly tickers aren't always easy to read :tongue:)

Anyway, OP, the rest of the question is legitimate. With only 20 kilos to lose, you shouldn't set your goal any higher than 1 pound (1/2 kilo) per week. How many calories does MFP give you with that? Then, remember that this system doesn't account for exercise at all in those goals, so log your exercise and eat back about 1/2 the calories (I don't say all, because machines and the database both tend to overestimate).

Unfortunately, I don't understand most of the diary either (language barrier, not a logging issue). But some general suggestions - like others have said, make sure you're getting enough protein/fat at each meal to help keep you sated, as well as fiber. Also try planning out your day in advance, so you can see how things fit. If you're hungry early, don't try to save all your calories for dinner (on a special occasion, a 1300+ calorie dinner may be okay, but there's no need for it to be like that normally).

Also try serving smaller portions and eating slowly. I have teenage boys, so I know it's natural to scarf down your food in about 30 seconds :laugh: But it does take the body some time to recognize it's been fed and send satiety signals, so you may find that you are satisfied with less food through the early parts of the day if you take more time over your meals. Drink water with them, too, as that can help as well.

Try to find some simple 100-200 calorie snacks for those times when you truly are hungry. A couple of hard-boiled eggs is <200 cal and has lots of protein and good fat to help you feel sated until the next meal. Or a greek yogurt, or something like that.

Best of luck!
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Do 5:2, it will help you learn what 'hunger' actually feels like
  • Cinarocket
    Cinarocket Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You should try to have no such thing as a 1200 calories.

I'm a fan of nice and big dinners myself and it used to be around 1000 kcal or more but trust me it's totally possible to have a nice carbs+meat+veggies dinner for 800-900 kcal. Just gotta find the right food.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It's not that hard, guys! Groente is vegetable, so Groentesoep Zelfgemaakt is obviously homemade vegetable soup, you see? Aardappel is potato -- earth apple -- it's the same root as Aardvark. Kip is chicken (I just happen to know that one). Toastbrood is toasting bread.

Right. So. OP, if you have 2000 calories for the day then 1200 is really too many to save for dinner. So you can either get some exercise in so you eat more earlier in the day, or plan to eat a slightly smaller dinner. It just looks like, as others have said, everything's just a bit high in carbs -- you will feel less hungry if you restrict carbs (especially white bread and cereals) and eat more high protein food. I find that about 300 calories of exercise is an easy amount to fit into a normal day and makes a huge difference when it comes to making the numbers work.

I found that it got better after about 2 weeks; I was hungry for the first couple of weeks but then I got used to eating smaller meals.
  • MeInWonderland
    MeInWonderland Posts: 4 Member
    Options

If you're hungry on 2000 calories, eat more foods with proteins/fats to keep you full. Fiber does wonders too.

Colruyt - Boomstammetje,
    Random - Aardappelpuree
    Beleg - Kipsalade,

This may be the first time that an OP opening a diary leaves me to where I can't offer advice.
    Mmmmm Boomstammetje. Wait.............what?

Its Dutch, Boomstammetje is similar to meatloaf but in a cilinder shape so we call it boomstammetje (translated as treetrunk)
    Groentesoep is just vegetablesoup
    Aardappelpuree is mashed potato
    Toastbrood is toastbread
    and Kipsalade is literally translated as chickensalad but here we use it as a spread, so it's chicken with mayonnaise and stuff

Hope this helps a bit.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Zelfgemaakt means homemade, which means that the calories are going to be off unless you made it yourself.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The thing I noticed is that you are eating a lot of high sodium foods such as sausages. You may be retaining a lot of water???
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hmm. 2000 is the given amount for a young man with your stats for 1 lb per week. If you find 2000 calories too difficult I would suggest perhaps trying a 1/2 lb deficit and seeing if the extra 250 calories help, or if exercise more. Exercise is an easy way to earn some more calories, but you should also follow a lot of the great advice given in this thread to see if you'll feel fuller on less calories.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Colruyt - Boomstammetje,
    Random - Aardappelpuree
    Beleg - Kipsalade,

Mmmmm Boomstammetje. Wait.............what?

Its Dutch, Boomstammetje is similar to meatloaf but in a cilinder shape so we call it boomstammetje (translated as treetrunk)
    Groentesoep is just vegetablesoup
    Aardappelpuree is mashed potato
    Toastbrood is toastbread
    and Kipsalade is literally translated as chickensalad but here we use it as a spread, so it's chicken with mayonnaise and stuff

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for that.

I agree with Trog, try to make sure you get enough protein and fiber. Those things will help.
  • louisedbatchelor1983
    Options
    2000 cals for me is a treat day! :-)

I agree with everyone else, in that it's probably to do with type of food you're eating. Generally I stick to white meats fish, chicken, turkey and plenty of fresh veggies and salads. My MFP is 1200 net per day, I've lost 24 Kg so far since Jan.

Exercise is a huge part of it, and I encourage anyone wanting to lose weight to exercise as well, not only will exercise help shape your body but it'll also give you valuable calories back to treat yourself. I have a takeaway every week without fail, as I my mantra has been 'I'm not on a diet'. You don't have to run a marathon or hit the gym every day, even 2-3 km walk every day will be something to start off.

I started at 121.3 kg and by eating healthy and exercising regularly I've lost 24 kg, I have NEVER used a diet plan, diet pills, juice plus, cleanse, detox, starvation etc. It can be done!