I'm alittle scared..

Options
Hi. My name is Bryce. I'm 21 and a girl gamer. I love my video games and my food. I am a culinary major at the University of Tennessee. I have been big for a good portion of my life. Food has been a big part of my life considering that I love to cook. But I am trying to become a healthier and fit person. I have tried to lose weight in the past and it went well for several weeks, then I relapsed and gained all the weight I lost and then some. Hopefully, this time I can stick to it and become healthy. But to be completely honest, I'm terrified. I'm scared that I might not succeed, that I might fail again. I would love to have some support in my journey to become healthy.

Bryce:smile:

Replies

• berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    cut out the junk food
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Welcome Bryce :D It's okay to be a little scared it takes time and you will get there :) Push yourself harder than you did last time it'll be worth it ;):D Friend request sent!
  • ValleySimTech
    ValleySimTech Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I will support you as much as I am able. Sticking with it is the hardest part but like anything, if you can treat like a lifestyle instead of a chore it makes it much easier. Honestly though, it took me a year or more to realize this and there were some rough times getting there. Good luck and I know if I can do it so can you.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Hey darlin...welcome to the nuthouse. Many, if not most of us have been that route. As I tell everyone, when you fall off the horse (which we ALL do), get back on immediately. Don't wait to start fresh the next day. Persistence will certainly pay off.

You are welcome to friend me as long as you read my "about me" section CAREFULLY. :drinker:
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Of course it's scary! Give yourself small achiveable goals every week (ex.: exercise twice a week, walk everyday, no chocolate on week nights, etc.) For each goal you achieve, plan a non-food reward, like a movie, a pedicure, a haircut and so on.

Then, make sure you never forget why you are doing this. Write your goals somewhere you will look at everyday!

With the proper tools, it becomes easier!
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Being in culinary, try to find ways to make those delicious foods with less fat and calories... I'm sure you can make them still taste awesome! Use your knowledge of food to make them all better. With eating better, I noticed that when I eat pizza (my absolute favorite food) now, I feel sick afterwards. I've only been on MFP for about 6 weeks, so it did not take long for my body to adjust to the good foods... now it wants to "reject" the bad stuff I used to eat.

If you "fall off the wagon" just jump back on and keep plugging away; you will succeed. There have been many times that I would eat good most of the day and then have a high calorie dinner and go over my limit, but the next day, I just start again and try to do better. Eventually you will just start to make better choices. Awareness is the key.... be aware of what you are consuming and log EVERYTHING, even the handful of M&M's you grab when you walk past the candy dish... lol

Exercise... even a short walk will help... log that as well. The more you exercise, the more you can eat!!

Good Luck! Feel free to add me if you want.
  • KeysGirl23
    KeysGirl23 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm here for you if you'd like to be friends. Once you get the hang of it, it really is just a matter of "mind over mouth." Count everything that goes into your mouth even if it's 5 calories for a piece of gum. If you notice you are going over your allotment, get up and walk, do leg lifts, crunches, anything to burn. Just a thought since you're a gamer, why don't you change your games to wii fit. If Paul Prudhomme can do it, so can you!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    It can be a scary process...but doing nothing is just as scary...but as others have said, once you start, it will become second nature.

And expect to slip up...to have bad days, and that it is ok, its not the end of the world, just pick yourself up and keep going. I know in the past, I would screw something up and then tell myself whats the point and slip back into my old ways...now I know one screw up is not the end and im motivated to keep pushing...once you come to terms with the fact that you wont always be successful, then you can keep striving towards your goals, without feeling like a failure..

good luck to you
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Good morning....you wont fail. We're here to help

The best place to begin is at the beginning.

All you have to do is lose 1 pound 129 times. Not 129 pounds, all at once.

That kick to get it done comes from inside....

The fact you are reaching out and being honest about your struggle is a sign of growth and progress, for which you should be commended. Take comfort in that.

The difference between MFP and everything else? If you adopt the mindset that its a lifestyle change & not a diet, the rest will fall into place.

The past is done. The future will be here soon enough. Try and focus on today & today only. Its all we have to work with.

4.5 months ago, I weighed 312 pounds. I woulda been dead in 5 years if I hadn't made this commitment. All signs were pointing that way.

Just a few things the MFP tribe and common sense has taught me:

1) This is a thing you DO, not a definition of who you ARE. Just like laundry. Take the emotion out of it wherever possible. I cannot stress this enough.

2) My approach? This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So there is no finite number of days that I am trying to get to. I will be logging in and logging food for the rest of my life, because:

a) This program works
    b) I don't want to die young and I was headed that direction

3) Try to remember - We are the results of the choices we make every day, whether those choices are good or bad. Make as many good choices as you can, and the ship will stay steady. At the end of the day, we are the man in the mirror. We are accountable to ourselves and no one else. We can help you with getting there, but the doing is up to you. Leave rationalizing at the door, and continue to be honest with yourself. Its the only path to long term success

Cal tracking is considered a good choice (whether boring or not) because it tells you where you really are (just like your check register tells you your balance) - remember to be honest with yourself all the time. Ultimately, you will achieve that which you are seeking much sooner.

Knowing that plus the support I get from my MFP buds make enough difference that Ive lost 39 in 141 days without doing anything stupid. You just find what works and then hammer the crap out of it, staying in the present while doing so.

If you will stay committed to this, your MFP tribe will commit to helping. Why? Because that's what we do. And we have ALL been there.

You only get one chance to live your life.

FR on the way.

Fsunami
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welcome Bryce. You have a head start on a lot of people, you know how to cook :happy: . Try changing your recipes to cut down on calories (e.g. use 1 tbsp of oil rather than 2), use turkey mince (ground) rather than beef etc. Start with small changes, don't try to change too much too soon, you will end up craving things you've cut out and will fall off the wagon.

Set yourself weekly challenges, you could challenge yourself to walk a mile every day for a week, or cut out/down chocolate for the week. If you meet your challenges, reward yourself with something non food related (a new game maybe). Don't cut out whole food groups, just change your diet enough to cut the calories to a reasonable deficit.

Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend :flowerforyou:
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Listen sista - my thought?
    You only fail when you stop trying!!

You are worth FEELING & looking good
    You are worth feeling CONFIDENT and HEALTHY!

Take each day in stride and for all things holy, do NOT cut ur fav foods ... Just scale back.
    Cutting is 1/2 the reason for binge eating
  • GameGirl777
    GameGirl777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey Bryce,

You came to the right place. Take in everything MFP has to offer and you will succeed. Welcome to the club :happy: