I have shin splint, should I take a wlk?

Options
2 days ago I went running outside, when I normally run inside. I got a shin splint and today it is its worse. I have not exercised for 2 days, but I feel gross now. I need to do something. But my shin hurts bad today. Will taking a walk help it or do more damage? Thanks

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from shin splints and I would go for walks and roll water bottles up and down my shins. Helped a lot!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Alternate between ice and heat. Stretch after the heat. A walk should be fine. Shin splints usually happen from too much too fast too soon. Just slow everything thing down and you should be fine. Good luck!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Ice it for 20 minutes on /off - walking might temporarily help - but in the long run if you have a shin splint you should not do anything to hurt it more.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Alternate between ice and heat. Stretch after the heat. A walk should be fine. Shin splints usually happen from too much too fast too soon. Just slow everything thing down and you should be fine. Good luck!

How should I stretch it?
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Old lady socks work awesome, you know compression socks -- they are really tight and hold everything together in there. It's a muscle pull and it sits right next to the bone, Sports Authority has some Kinetic tape that works awesome - I've had an on going problem with my left leg and I use the tape before every run. Lots of stretching -- there are tons on the internet. Until you feel up to it --- making it worse will just make it last longer, I would recommend, circuit training (talk about calorie burning!) water aerobics or swimming and/or yoga and pilates.
  • cyoung8151
    cyoung8151 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You might check to see if your shoes have too many miles on them, or aren't properly fitted. I used to get SS in college, and would wrap an ace bandage up my leg. Seemed to help.
  • angelicpiece101
    angelicpiece101 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used to get those all the time when I was in track in school.......you can stretch them that helps them a lot, and walking helps actually because its in a way stretching it too......however, I was always told not to run on it or go fast on it until they were healed bc it could just make them worse. they sell these bands that are kind of like a giant rubber band. you place it around the sole of your foot and hold onto the other end with your hands then point your toes and pull them in.....its just a way of stretching to help them. good luck and try not to over-do it, or stick to rubber tracks. cement can be really hard on your body.
  • myladyelliott
    Options
    I had horrible shin splints as a teenager - two word cure: Absorbine Jr.!!!! Smells terrible, works like a dream!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 8th day of forced rest from shin splints in my left leg. It's the most ridiculous pain...and walking made mine much worse. You truly need to ice, ice, ice, take some anti-inflammatories and rest. I feel a ton better today, but I'm giving myself two more days of rest before I ease back into things.