What made the difference in your weight loss journey?

Options
What has made the biggest difference in your weight loss journey? For example, I've always thought that I was eating healthy and maintaining a somewhat active lifestyle. However, I could never lose the weight. I am what I would call "skinny fat." Looking at me, you wouldn't think I was overweight.

I thought I could lose weight rather quickly, but easily hit plateaus. What has helped me the most is structure and meal planning. I follow a very strict diet of six small meals a day that I plan out once or twice every week. I sit down and actually make meal charts and portion out all of my lunches and dinners. That has helped me tremendously. Also, focusing on strength training vs. just doing cardio has made a huge impact too. I'm not exactly where I want to be, but I know I'm headed in the right direction.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    What do yo mean by "skinny fat"?

I don't know what will make the difference for me. I am struggling right now, trying to convince myself that I need to lose this weight. I think it would be easier if everyone would stop telling me I don't need to lose, or if I felt bad, or had medical problems because of the weight, or some reason I needed to lose weight. I'm really just responding to see the answers of others. Maybe something will click.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    The fact that I made a choice to love myself, as I was, before I started losing weight. It is easier to choose healthy foods or hit the gym when you're doing it as a reward, not a punishment.

I was awesome when I weighed more than 300 pounds, too - now I'm the same amount of awesome shoved into a smaller body ;) I jest, but honestly, this is the most important thing I did.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy.
  • sarahew415
    sarahew415 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Awesome! By skinny fat I mean looking at me, I'm petite and curvy. People don't view me as "fat" per say, however, I have a very high BMI that puts me into the obese category. My body is very deceiving because I'm so petite. but it's still dangerous for me to be carrying this extra weight and have the BMI that I do.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Well .. I am only 27 pounds into my journey, but I joined a DietBet and that totally kicked me into gear. I ran the numbers to see what I would need to do to get to the number they gave me and at first I thought it was crazy .. there was no way I would be able to do that. But I paid $30 to try and I figured I might as well give it a shot .. I DID IT! Well .. Official ending weigh in is tomorrow and I have seen the number on my scale for 2 days .. I'm hoping it decides to show up tomorrow too. lol But, my point is .. it really showed me what I am capable of! That what I thought I could do were only limits I set on myself.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Finally instilling self - discipline in my life, which was missing.

And trying to live the mantra that success comes from small actions repeated daily, not some bigic maic button you push.

Basically, becoming more consistent in who I am, what I say, and what I do.

Fsunami
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!