Wanting Help in the Nurtition area :)

Options
Hey guys! So my plan was to lose 1b a week. Just start really slow, and not feel like I'm dieting or restricting myself. I was going to the gym again and eating a tiny bit better. But I have not noticed any results at all, and it really brings me down. I know that it is because of what I'm eating. When I dont exercise, I always go over my calorie limit. I do not want to increase the limit though. You guys must have been on the same boat as I am. If any of you have ideas or tips for eating better, (on a low budget I'm living the university life :p) please let me know! Or send me links to websites to recipes you like. Whatever! I really want to do this, but I don't want to feel like I am restricting myself from everything, because I never keep up with it. So please tell me what you think and how you make what you eat a lifestyle and not a diet. It would really help me out!

Replies

• msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    First of all, 1 pound of fat (I'm assuming you want to lose 1 pound of fat a week, right?) is roughly 3,500 stored calories in your body. To lose lose 1 pound of fat, you would need a deficient of about 3,500 calories a week, or a deficient of an average of 500 calories per day. And when I say "deficient," that means your body burns 500 more calories than you consume, not just eating 500 calories less. So on those days you don't exercise, you might need to watch how much you actualyl consume. So that's just letting you know of your goals. But guess what? It's completely doable!

Going to the gym is a great start! Awesome! Sometimes that first step is the hardest. And taking it slow is just fine. Remember, health and fitness is a marathon, not a sprint. So don't feel like you need to lost a full pound every week and that not doing so is a "failure." Every little bit counts, and those pounds you shed start adding up!

One thing to know about weight loss is that nutrition is super important. Exercise is one step forward, but a poor diet can be two steps back. So onto the question of nutrition; what are you eating? Have you calculated your caloric needs? I know MFP can do that for you, but you can always double check on your own. I suggest using the Mifflin-St. Jeor Equation to determine your caloric needs.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/178764-caloric-intake-formula/

This link also has the Benedict-Harris Equation at the WHO Equation, if you prefer. But the Mifflin formula tends to be the most accurate. These all find your BMR, or Base Metabolic Rate. Thne you multiply that number by your physical activity factor: x1.2 for sedentary, x1.3 for moderately active, or 1.5 for regularly active. If you are living the university life, you might be either 1.2 or 1.3, depending on how long you sit in class and what else you do outside of class. After mutliplying by that factor, that's where you can cut some calories. I know you're aiming for about 500 calories a day, but start slow, maybe only 200-300 calories less at first.

As for eating healthy on a budget, it is entirely possible. You know, of course, that a healthy diet consists of fruits and vegetables. Buy them frozen - usually they are cheap in frozen bags, plus they last much much longer. If you want fresh, buy the fruits and vegetables when they are in season. Also, try to avoid the prepackaged meals - I know Ramen is a staple across universities, but the high sodium content is not something you should actively seek in your nutrition. University living can be tough to eat right and maintain a very healthy lifestyle, but if you commit to it and make an active attempt to stay active and/or go to the campus rec center, you will seem improvements!
  • leightybug098
    leightybug098 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No one has anything to say?! Come on guys :(
  • leightybug098
    Options
    Never mind your post just popped up :p Bad internet
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    If you could do a couple things first then we can help you better:

1.) open up your diary so we can see what you're actually eating (assuming you're being honest with tracking)

2.) give us your height, weight, age, level of activity during the day (i.e., do you sit in class all day or are you working half the day at a physical job, etc.), and number of hours you workout per week.

Once we pinpoint that information I can help you zone in on what the problem might be.

thanks!
  • leightybug098
    Options
    Thanks so much! Yeah I was watching a youtube video and they were talking about buying frozen veggies and fruit. Which is a good idea because I'm only one person, and stuff goes bad so fast! So on the days I do not exercise, eat less? And on the days I do, am I allowed to eat back my calories in what I burned by working out?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    you can eat back calories but unfortunately the calorie estimates from myfitnesspal are often much higher than what you actually burned. I usually stay in a 300 cal range and eat on the high end if I am more hungry or exercised more.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Thanks so much! Yeah I was watching a youtube video and they were talking about buying frozen veggies and fruit. Which is a good idea because I'm only one person, and stuff goes bad so fast! So on the days I do not exercise, eat less? And on the days I do, am I allowed to eat back my calories in what I burned by working out?

If you allow me to calculate your TDEE (based on the questions I asked you above) I'll tell you the exact amount of calories you should eat each day. In the case of TDEE, you would not eat back your exercise calories because you've already factored it into the equation. And frankly, I found that was easier to manage when I lost my weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Figuring out your calorie goal is the first thing. 1 lb/week is a good start and shouldn't put you at a level to feel too restricted (unless you really don't have much to lose).

One thing I found really helpful at first was just to log what I was eating over the past week (if you have this, you are ahead of me) and figure out where I was getting unnecessary calories.

Another thing is that I've recently found it to be easier to eat similar calories whether I exercise or not; I just average it over the week as a whole. If the low calories on non exercise days are hard for you, you might want to try that.

I find I can just eat regular food, so long as I watch portions and generally cook for myself so I can control the ingredients. I tend to eat a bit more protein and vegetables (I eat lots of vegetables) than before and am more restrained with my carb servings especially, but that has to do with what I find a satisfying way to eat. It might be helpful to keep a journal and just jot down when you are feeling hungry or overeat in addition to your logs, so you can adjust meals to address that.
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    On days that you don't work out, it's not necessarily that you should eat less. But in your OP when you stated that you tend to eat more on such days, that is where you need to watch yourself. And as Brandolin stated, you would not be eating back those calories because they are already factored into your equation in determining your overall caloric needs.

If you share your height, weight, age, and physical activity throughout the day, we can help you determine the number of calories you should be aiming for each day. Additionally, if you do not want to share it on this post, go ahead and message Brandolin or myself or someone else you can confide in if you don't want to share such information. Keep in mind, MFP tends to shoot you higher than that because it will also factor in your calorie burn from a workout. A small tip: I would suggest not trying to factor in calorie burn - just MFP just to track your calorie intake. If you have the right number of calories, eat the right foods in the right amount (here's where MFP really shines) and workout, you will start seeing those results!
  • leightybug098
    Options
    I am not the most active person. I tend to stay inside when I dont have class or something to do. Going outside is just so much work :p I mean I have to shower, put clothes on..ugh. But thats not the issue here haha. My diary is open to friends I think but I can open it to the public probably. I have not logged my food for a few days though! And I am 5'5, 163 lbs, and 18. I work out usually 3 times a week for about an hour each, and thats because Im not motivated enough to work out on my own yet, so I go to classes at my gym! I get such a better workout when I do it with other people. And yeah, I know I shouldnt eat back my calories. :( I just dont know if I want to increase the limit. Id feel bad about it.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Alright, here we go. :)

Firstly, your diary says you have only been logging for 14 days. That is two teeny tiny weeks, hon.... not enough time to get discouraged yet! You literally just started. I lost about 68 lbs slowly and safely and my weight loss took a little over 11 months. Looks like you want to lose about 35, so expect it to take about 6 months or so. 14 days is nothing compared to that! Give yourself some time.

Second, be very careful not to miss entire days of logging. Simply put, when you don't track, you have absolutely no idea what you're actually consuming. You may *think* you do, but that's part of the reason we all got big in the first place: we kind of tend to live in denial and do what we want now and apologize for it later, if you know what I'm saying. Tracking keeps us honest and accountable. You won't have good, solid long-term success without being honest. So track those calories! I'm 26 days away from 1,000 days of tracking. I do not say that to brag, I say that to show you that there is literally no excuse - if I can do it, so can you. :)

Third, I looked over your food diary and I noticed you're eating almost exclusively simple carbs, sugary-based snacks, and dairy. I was hard pressed to find a vegetable and there was nary a fruit, nor even lean meat nor a fiber-filled grain. Essentially, you're starving your body of nutrients and packing it instead with what is, for the most part, unhealthy and processed (read: man-made) foods. This will make your belly pudgy, your face puffy, you'll be sluggish and not feel very good in general (that makes studying pretty rough!), and it affects things like your mental and emotional drive to take care of yourself for any length of time. Your body really needs a good balance of healthy, natural foods to optimally burn calories, help you feel on top of your game emotionally, get good sleep, and a host of other life-tools you need to just basically live and feel well.

Fourth, you are rocking that exercise just fine by doing it in classes at the gym with other people. If that's what works for you - milk it! It matters not how you choose to exercise - your way is just as noble as anyone else's. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for not working out outside, etc. It's your call.

Lastly, here are some numbers for you. Are you ready for this?

To lose 1 lb a week, you should be eating 1,670 calories a day
    To lose 1.5 lbs a week, you should be eating 1,420
    To lose 2 lbs a week, you should be eating 1,200

If I were you, I'd opt to lose between 1 and 1.5 lbs a week, and therefore eat 1,545 a day. That way you don't feel hungry (and sabotage yourself) and you also lose at a steady, consistent pace which will stick with you long term. (Quick weight loss doesn't last).

So to bottom line it for you:

1.) Start replacing some of those processed carbs and dairy with green vegetables, fruit, lean meats, and whole grain card-oriented foods. Reduce your sugar intake. Drink tons of water.

2.) Keep working out like you do - that's awesome, keep it up!

3.) Increase your cals to 1,545 (trust me, don't be scared). Manually input this into fitnesspal. You can put in your exericse if you like to see it, but don't eat back the calories it tells you that you get. Just ignore that.

4.) Track, track, track! Do NOT cheat. Be honest. Even if you had a bad day. Be honest. This is critical to your long term mental and emotional health as well as physical success. You can't "guess" at weight loss - it's a numbers game, so play with the rules.

5.) Do this CONSISTENTLY for four weeks and report back to let us know how you're doing! We'd love to hear.

Questions?
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi Beautiful girlfriend!

Trade one unhealthy food for one healthy food. Like a piece of fruit for a snack instead of chips. Don't be afraid to try new things. You'd be surprised at what you will enjoy eating. Praying for you sweetie! :bigsmile:

Darlene
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am bumping for the advice because I always love when people are so awesome and willing to share their knowledge! :)