HEY LADIES!!! Hair do help?

Options
jsecret
jsecret Posts: 606 Member
My hair is fairly long (halfway down my back) and extremely thick (ugh!!!) despite having getting it thinned regularly it is still VERY thick. I work in an office now and need to keep a "cuter" appearance... if it was my choice I'd wear it up in a ponytail 24/7 lol.

Do you guys know of any cute hairstyle for thick, long hair?
It has a bit of a natural wave to it but is a pain to straighten because it takes forever, won't hold well to trying to keep wavy, and pretty much just does whatever it damn well pleases.

I am by no means an office girl, I was raised in the country so I'm already trying to learn this whole make up thing on my own, the hair I could really use help on :)

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you see someone with a hairstyle you like, stop and ask them who does their hair.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I think the topsy flip would be cute. Its neat, stylish and a ponytail. Make a loose ponytail, split the hair above the rubberband in half and flip your ponytail in the split. Straighten it up and you're ready to go. Stylish, neat and best of all PONYTAIL. That's the working girls ponytail.

Here's a video to show you what I mean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHVda-pu1uw
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    I wish I had thick hair :sad: Mine is thin, wanna trade?? :laugh:
  • becomingsara
    Options
    GOOOOD suggestion foxxybrown!
    also, the more sophisticated cousin to the pony tail, but just as easy is the loose bun.
    a french braid can look stylish and be easy (and good for us thick -haired folks).
    there's a good amount of vids on youtube for a how to...have fun!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Unless you want to get it cut, there is not much you can do.

I just asked my aunt the SAME exact question just last week. She owns a salon. She said with long thick hair all you can do is get some layers in it. I want to do something different with my hair but I don't want to cut it. Our options are kind of limited. But hey atleast we have pretty hair right?! :laugh:
    Maybe you could look at some up do ideas. Sometimes I put my hair up in a twist and pin it with a cute clip or some fancy chopsticks.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You appear to have the same hair I do. A couple of choices:
    Get a big barrel curling iron (1-1.5 inches) and roll up large sections, hold for 5-10 seconds, then release (I do my whole head in about 2 minutes). This will smooth/straighten most of it while giving the ends a little smoothness and slight curl under (as opposed to unruly and unkept). Part whereever you like to part and go.
    Do the ponytail, and wrap a section of hair around the holder. Again, use the curler to curl just the ends a tiny bit--you get a smooth, professional, polished ponytail.
    Get a nice, big barrette or two and pull it back in a half-pony. Again, using the curling iron to smooth/do the ends a little will make this look even more polished.
  • jsecret
    Options

I just asked my aunt the SAME exact question just last week. She owns a salon. She said with long thick hair all you can do is get some layers in it. I want to do something different with my hair but I don't want to cut it. Our options are kind of limited. But hey atleast we have pretty hair right?! :laugh:
    Maybe you could look at some up do ideas. Sometimes I put my hair up in a twist and pin it with a cute clip or some fancy chopsticks.

That's the problem - any salons reply is always to cut it, I don't want to cut it... cuz then it doesn't look as cute when I'm in my baseball cap w/ the ponytail sticking out the back lol.
    *sigh* can't it just be summer so I can wear it down and use my sunglasses to hold it back ?!
  • DnAmommy
    DnAmommy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You appear to have the same hair I do. A couple of choices:
    Get a big barrel curling iron (1-1.5 inches) and roll up large sections, hold for 5-10 seconds, then release (I do my whole head in about 2 minutes). This will smooth/straighten most of it while giving the ends a little smoothness and slight curl under (as opposed to unruly and unkept). Part whereever you like to part and go.
    Do the ponytail, and wrap a section of hair around the holder. Again, use the curler to curl just the ends a tiny bit--you get a smooth, professional, polished ponytail.
    Get a nice, big barrette or two and pull it back in a half-pony. Again, using the curling iron to smooth/do the ends a little will make this look even more polished.

Those are some good suggestions! I'll have to try these too! Thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • laughingdani
    Options

That's the problem - any salons reply is always to cut it, I don't want to cut it... cuz then it doesn't look as cute when I'm in my baseball cap w/ the ponytail sticking out the back lol.
    *sigh* can't it just be summer so I can wear it down and use my sunglasses to hold it back ?!

I know right? My sunglasses are my main accessory!! :glasses:
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    I'm a hairdresser, why don't you try hot rollers! they are quick and easy to use. Leave them in while you are eating breakfast and take them out just before you leave (like don't go to work with them in LOL) and it will give you this cute bouncy ends. Very stylish right now.
  • jsecret
    Options
    I'm a hairdresser, why don't you try hot rollers! they are quick and easy to use. Leave them in while you are eating breakfast and take them out just before you leave (like don't go to work with them in LOL) and it will give you this cute bouncy ends. Very stylish right now.

I'll give that a try :)
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I flat iron my hair almost every day. It takes me an hour to do it, lol, but I love the way it looks.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Slightly underqualified to give advice on hair.
  • laughingdani
    Options
    I flat iron my hair almost every day. It takes me an hour to do it, lol, but I love the way it looks.

I love the way it looks too. :bigsmile:
  • bbygrl5
    Options

I love the way it looks too. :bigsmile:

I love the way every part of you looks ;) damn, I'll save it for a lewd pm, lmao *mush*
  • Davis713
    Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My hair is not long enough yet but the low side ponytail always looks really nice. I like to pull the front part of my hair up and bump it...that's my favorite!
    :happy:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you like it wavy, try different products. Mine went from a frizzy almost wave to people asking me if I got a perm when I started using styling milks and cremes instead of sprays and gels. Layers also help with waves.

For lazy days, I pull it back like a ponytail, twist it several times, clip it in place, and let the ends flop down over the clip. Like a super-easy french twist.
  • jsecret
    Options
    I like to flat iron my hair but it takes FOREVER like HOURS (multiple) and still is very poofy :( plus if there's any moisture in the air at all it immediatly goes back to wavy.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    My hair is down to my butt (take a look at my pics)...I don't ever use heat on my hair, too damaging.
    I tend to put my hair up in a bun or braid for work...or working out as this keeps it our of my face.
  • bbygrl5
    Options
    I like to flat iron my hair but it takes FOREVER like HOURS (multiple) and still is very poofy :( plus if there's any moisture in the air at all it immediatly goes back to wavy.

It should go faster if you have a high heat one, where you can change the temp. Mine goes up to 400 degrees and that's the temp I have mine set on, lol. It's a professional grade, but I got it on a major sale for only $30.

Sarah made a good point, the heat isn't good for it, but I can't give it up, lol, so I balance it out with oil treatments about once every two weeks. If you do start straightening it, you will have to take extra care to keep it healthy.