Nuts, peanut butter-benefits vs calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    But fat is also important nutritionally. It helps your body absorb vitamins for one (many other uses). For many years people on a diet shunned fat (I was one of them).

I think you mean fiber, with regards to nutrient, vitamin and mineral absorption... not fats..

Unlikely. The human body cannot digest fiber. There are, however, fat soluble vitamins: A, D, E, and K.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. Seriously. This confirms most of what I have read. I think nuts are ok in small portions now. What I will prob end up doing is buying those small 100 calorie packs of natural almonds to control how many I eat.

Good luck to all.

I loooove those almonds! I have a pack almost everyday in my afternoon class. I get the smoked flavor, but they're all really good.

Other than that, I'm also a nut lover. I buy small portions of sliced almonds and walnut pieces in the bulk section of my grocery store for my overnight oats & my salads. I was never a huge fan of peanut butter in the first place, so I switched to PB2 to stave off those extra calories on the days I want to have peanut butter with my morning banana.

I love the emerald coco roast 100 calorie almonds, they're my favorite.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Peanuts and peanut butter are not good for you! They increase the amount of fungus in the body, which in result builds up candida(bad bacteria).

1. Huh?
    2. candida is a yeast, not a bacterium
  • melisky999
    Options
    My husband is allergic to most nuts, so I try not to keep too many in the house. Nuts are delicious and almonds are especially good for you. However, it's very hard not to overeat them, so it's tough to have them around -- always a temptation!

I was on the low-fat, no-fat train for a long time, but now I see that's not the way to be healthy. Better to include some good fats and simply count calories. And that means every nut! I get into trouble on my calories when I stir-fry or roast vegetables with a lot of oil. Yes, vegetables are good for you, but oil is still oil, fat is still fat, salt is still salt and sugar is sugar.

I really like seeing the sodium and sugar content of the foods I eat. Every I open a bag, a jar or a can, I am *shocked* to see how much salt is in there, but it's a good reminder of how food preservation works.

Moderation and counting is the key!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. Seriously. This confirms most of what I have read. I think nuts are ok in small portions now. What I will prob end up doing is buying those small 100 calorie packs of natural almonds to control how many I eat.

Good luck to all.

I loooove those almonds! I have a pack almost everyday in my afternoon class. I get the smoked flavor, but they're all really good.

Other than that, I'm also a nut lover. I buy small portions of sliced almonds and walnut pieces in the bulk section of my grocery store for my overnight oats & my salads. I was never a huge fan of peanut butter in the first place, so I switched to PB2 to stave off those extra calories on the days I want to have peanut butter with my morning banana.

The problem with PB2 is that it doesn't fill me up at all compared to the real stuff... so I'm not sure it's worth the trade off.

My go-to snack is 3 chocolate covered hazelnuts with coffee.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Most of the time peanut butter has too many calories for my calorie count. I can only get away with enjoying it on heavy workout days. The other night I did 35 minutes of cardio and 25 minutes of upper body strength. Then I had my post work out smoothie of 1/3 cup liquid egg whites, and frozen berries. After my shower I was starving so I sliced 1/2 of a banana in half lengthwise, then spread a carefully measured 1 tbsp of skippy on the 2 halves. It was delicious, filling, and I then slept like a baby, knowing my muscles were burning through those calories while I slept. And with the exercise I was still over 300 calories deficit for that day.