Low budget and trying lose weight, help!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    When i lived on a very tight budget i lived on frozen meat and veg, Big bag of whole grain rice goes a long way as do oats. I got into cooking and made a lot of things from basic ingredients. I used to enjoy baking and could control what went in everything. Tinned beans or even soak and cook from dried, same with lentils, lots of home made soups. Also keeping wastage to a minimum. Soups are a great way to use up things. Drink only water.
  • avoidtheclapp107
    avoidtheclapp107 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wrote this to a MFP friend who seems to be in an impossible budget situation such. Welp...me too! I figured we can't be the only two people who are in this situation...so here's what I said:

As I work out my budget, I have $80 left over at the end of the month for food. I try not to think about it. It's overwhelming feeling so strapped for cash...but it happens. [side note. I claim to try not to think about it, but I think about it. ALL THE TIME]

Here's a couple tips/ life savers I've come up with to eat on a crazy budget. [Another side note...I'm in the mist of freaking out about my 30th birthday in 2 weeks. So don't look at my food diary because, although I've been logging, I'm been emotionally eating up the wazoo. Which isn't good either since I'm a fat chick who wants to look good in my birthday party pictures...]

In the beginning, get used to being in a food rut.
    I HATE freezing food. I don't know why I just have a mental aversion to it. If you were to freeze food, you wouldn't have to eat the same thing every day like I do/did, but as long as I make something delicious(ish) then I don't mind. At the beginning of the week I'll pull out the trusty crock pot and make something I could portion for the week. Chili is a good place to start. Chopped meat or chicken (depending on what I could find on sale) with cost you like $4 (I don't know where you are, so I don't know what money you're dealing with) can of black beans $1, can of low sodium corn (if you want) $1, box of chicken broth $2 (I even hobo-ed this with bouillon cubes and water, but it wasn't as good), large can diced tomatoes (put the tomatoes and the juice in) $2. $10 in the crock pot while you go to work. Then portion it out. I can get like 6-8 meals out of it. So I had dinner the Monday night I made it and leftovers for lunch for the rest of the week.

Plan ahead
    Read the flyer from the grocery store. Look what's on sale. And then go online and find coupons to match it. I sound like one of those crazy people on TV, but I got a box of pasta for 19 cents the other day and it was like Christmas. Okay. Pasta is my weakness. I don't have a sweet tooth, I have a debilitating carb tooth. Soooo technically I shouldn't have bought pasta. But, like your "chips," it's cheap and delicious. Plan your menu for the week. I go as far as putting in snacks. Then I write down an approx price next to everything I want and adjust accordingly.

Unnamed category
    +I love food. Good food. and hate cooking. A lot. I'm sure, like me, you're figured out you can't order take out. Like ever.
    +Go to a farmers market for vegetables. I can also pull that snotty line that all TV chefs say "eat what's in season" but it's kind of true...to an extent. I'm not a farmer, I don't know what in season when I'm scouring pinterest for food ideas. We have a farmer's market that's basically a supermarket. Not one of those hipster all-organic fancy smancy farmers markets.
    + When people offer you food, take it. It takes a lot for me to suck up my pride and accept help. But do it. My boss has a garden and brings stuff in? Mine! Bagels leftover from some sales rep that's come in? Right in the freezer! I have also learned that when everyone wants to go out and have a good time and I say "I really can't afford" because I really can't...sometimes some nice people offer to pay for me. I'll get them back someday. I've covered them multiple times.
    +Eat eggs. There's a hundred ways to prepare them. They're super nutritious and when you have them for breakfast you're fuller longer.
    +Dairy is expensive. Do you really NEED cheese in your eggs? (this is a question I often ask myself).
    +Convenience is expensive. If you are buying cheese, shred your own. (Have I mentioned how much I hate cooking? That includes preparing food...) Buy a watermelon. Cut it up. Snacks for days. Buy carrots/celery. Portion them out yourself.
    +Write out your monthly budget. You may or may not be in as dire straights as you think you are.
    +Oh! I almost forgot! The dollar store has food! The one by me is like a gift from the gods and has frozen food. Yes...full disclosure...I have eaten shrimp from the dollar store (disgusting, I know) but better than that they have frozen fruit for smoothies. and seasonings. You can get all your seasonings there. and flour tortillas. Probably don't buy the pasta since you can get that for 19 cents if you try hard enough :-)

I go to hot yoga twice a week. It's basically amazing and I feel great afterwards. $19/class...UGH BUTTTT my studio (and it seems to be common practice) has karma yogis. Basically you "work" there--check-ins, light cleaning, talking to clients--and you go for free!

I don't know your personal situation. If you ever want to bounce ideas off me or need a pep talk, message me. Some stuff I'm sure your probably already know so I don't want to sound condescending. I had/have a **** load of bad habits I had/have to break. I also have some more weekly (oversimplified) recipes if you'd like me to send you some.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If you eat breakfast start by getting the old fashioned oatmeal bought in bulk and cook it in the microwave. I add fresh fruit and nuts but could live on just the oatmeal if I had to. I can eat a couple of months on about $6 when I buy at Costco. Apples aren't to expensive and are my favorite snack. For fast food if you must I get the grilled chicken breast, no fries and bring a water jug from home. Lunch today was a low carb wrap with leftover rotisserie chicken. My favorite weight loss dinner is still spaghetti squash with Newman's own marinara with a few veggies cooked in olive oil added to the sauce.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Check and see if there is a food co-op in your area, such as Bountiful Baskets (that's the one I know because it's in my area). Also, I use frozen when needed. I buy the Walmart version, big bags, and use what I need for each meal. Some good seasonings and a little healthy oil (such as Extra Virgin Olive), and veggies can be a great meal option. Throw some lean protein in there and you're all set. It doesn't have to be expensive. I'm a single mom raising two teenagers (we all know how teenagers can eat!), and I don't make a lot of money, so I understand well the need to be frugal.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from eating in a calorie deficit. You can eat whatever you want to get to your calorie goals. Macros (fat, carbs, protein) can help with body composition though. Eat what you can afford, just track everything you eat or drink.

exactly I lost all my weight without buying expensive food

Good Luck

29509743.png
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    www.budgetbytes.com is a pretty good resource for healthy recipes on a budget. They actually are in the process of doing the SNAP Challenge, which shows it's possible to still eat healthy on $1.50 a meal.

Aside from that, shop the sales at your local stores, don't worry too much about coupons (most of those are for junky box food that you don't really want), and plan your meals around what's on sale. Look for cheaper cuts of meat for protein, and things like brown rice, black beans and potatoes for fillers. If prepared right, you can lose weight with all of those. Good luck!
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't understand, like what kinds of food?
  • GFDawn
    GFDawn Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lots of great info here... You know the rule: shop the outside perimeter of the grocery store, where you find produce, meats & dairy. With fall coming, there is a lot of great recipes for soups! Add rice or potatoes by the bowl so that you can freeze any leftovers (they don't freeze well) or beans to add more filler to keep you fuller longer.
    I usually grab 2-3 bananas as I can't eat a whole bunch alone, a couple of the in season fruits and grapes for snacking. I resort to the expensive gluten-free granola bars when I don't have anything fresh on hand.
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I clip coupons from the Sunday paper and also from the coupon.com website. Then I use those coupons at Walmart. I read all the weekly grocery store ads and make my shopping list/meal plan according to what is on sale that week (if those sales are better than Walmart's prices then I use my coupons there). I was a single Mom for a long time and it always worked for me. Even though I am no longer single I still use this strategy for grocery shopping and it saves me a ton of money. Planning, planning, planning. You can do this! :bigsmile:
  • heyjude345
    heyjude345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi's nearby, that is a great option for lower cost food as well. It might take more work to eat healthy on a diet (as in menu planning, searching sale ads, etc.), but once you get the hang of it I think you will find that it can easily be done.