Possible to train without a trainer??

Options
I joined a gym a month ago when I started this journey. One of the benefits was a one time training assessment. The trainer was so booked that I just had my assessment yesterday. I go to the gym 5 or 6 times a week and ALWAYS only do cardio because I wasn't sure how to use the machines and exactly what to do as far as strength training. I was excited about my assessment, it started great, the trainer gave me lots of info about my diet then proceeded to see what I could do in the gym, which was next to nothing. I was huffing and puffing just from using a stepper, I never even got to the machines, so as far as that goes I learned nothing about what I am supposed to be doing machine wise. Well after he sprung it on me how crazy expensive sessions are with the trainers there. I got frustrated, started to cry (like the hormonal female I am) and told him there's no way I can afford that. Well today I've decided to turn that frustration around, use it as motivation and come up with my own strength training program. I'm researching what exactly I need to do, how to do it and how often. Any advise would be so appreciated as I have no clue right now, but I am so determined. BTW I am a 45 year old female and I weigh 245 lbs. :frown:

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    A good trainer is nice to have, but having one isn't necessary.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Of course you can train without a trainer, if you can't afford it time wise or financially, or you just don't like it.

If you have no idea what to do or where to start, there's a ton of programs available that are easy to follow and come by, and cheap. Since you mention strength training check out Strong Lifts 5X5 (there's even an app for it that makes it easy to follow) or New Rules of Lifting for Women or...well there's a few I can't remember now.

There's also groups dedicated to a bunch of these programs so if you find one you think you like, there's people already doing them that can offer help/advice/etc.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely possible to do it without a trainer. There are tons of resources out there for different routines that will also show you how to use the machines and how to do free weight exercises. All of the machines should have basic instructions on them. Spend time finding out what you are comfortable with. Many people find a solid weight lifting program along with some cardio to be effective for weight loss with the best overall results.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in lifting - which you should do IMO, look at the NerdFitness Beginner Bodyweight routine. Start with that, it's fairly easy, good to ease yourself into lifting with that, and can be done at home or at the gym.

Then look into New Rules of Lifting (any of them really) and Stronglifts.
    The book for New Rules of Liftting for Women has a lot of great info and background on the reasons to lift. I don't personally like the program, I found it got overly complicated. Get the book now and read it. Stronglifts is a simpler program to follow, it's free online.

And no shame huffing and puffing on the stepper. Those things are evil.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I never had a trainer at the gym, so don't fret about it! The machines have poorly-drawn representations on how to move and what muscles are targeted during the exercise. You can also look on YouTube for examples of people doing the exercise properly on that machine (slowly, good form on the way up AND down, no banging of weights, etc.)

So I'd suggest just going round the gym machines on your own, sitting on each one and reading what you can - take a notebook! - and get the name of the machine or exercise it says on there (i.e 'lat pulldown') for research at home. You can even give each machine a quick try on the lowest weights to see if it's comfortable too.

From there, program-wise, I used to do ten repetitions of each movement, rest for a minute, and 3 'sets' altogether. Choose a weight that is kinda hard to move, and you kinda struggle to do the 10th rep each time. Note down what weight you're using for each machine, so you remember. Now, I'm trying higher weights and trying to do 5 sets of 5 reps.

As for which muscles to do, that all depends on you. If you only have 30 minutes gym time, do upper body one day (biceps, triceps, back, etc) and lower body the next. But if you have all the time in the world, you can do a whole body workout, as long as you leave minimum 24 hours between each workout (to rest and repair). 3-4 days a week of weight-lifting is recommended, so don't forget your rest days.

P.S. If some super experienced weight-lifter comes in and blows my advice away, that's fine lol. That is just what I did to start out when I had no clue, and it seemed to work!
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    You can totally do it without a trainer. Make sure that you practice your form. You can find videos on the web, and it helps if you can see yourself (video yourself) or have someone you trust watch you to make sure that you're doing the exercises correctly.

Also, trainers really help with motivating you/pushing you to your limits so that you keep improving, so you'll need to remember that when you start making deals with yourself during your workout. (Ex. This is too hard, I can stop after one more instead of finishing the set.) I actually find lurking in the forums to be quite motivating because some of the responses from the more experienced peeps really call me out on my crap, lol. They just kind of float around in my head when I want to back off on intensity and keep me pushing.
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com is my trainer along with these forums :smile:

I only go to the gym to swim. When I started working out this summer I wished I could afford a trainer but I couldn't and instead used the internet and got to it by myself and couldn't be happier. The only investment I've made is a set of adjustable dumbbells I bought from Amazon (£35) and an exercise mat (£10).

I've heard good things about strong lifts but haven't started it myself. Otherwise, the site above, fitnessblender, tons of free videos. Dumbbells, kettlebell, bodyweight, pilates, etc.

There's also tons of free videos on youtube. If you can't afford dumbbells then just start with bodyweight exercises for now, check the videos out for proper form and maybe do it in front of a mirror to ensure you don't injure yourself.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    A good trainer is nice to have, but having one isn't necessary.

This
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    absolutely, if you have the discipline and determination. Also, knowledge of form would be helpful, too.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    <---- no trainer though I am following a Nia Shanks program and she is always on her FB group answering questions
  • onelovejenn
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all your opinions!!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Machines are a great way to start a strength training regimen. Most new machines have instructions and diagrams on the body of the machine (as opposed to the chair). There's also nothing wrong with doing some free weight work and watching how people use the machines. Many gyms have numbered machines to that you can do a circuit that alternates leg work and arm work, giving those parts of your body time to recover.

Eventually, when you have enough confidence, you can think about using the cage/barbell exercises.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you definitely don't NEED a trainer, but the right one can do a LOT for you.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you read "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women". Even if you don't do the program, the info is pretty good for some one who's pretty new to lifting. (The nutritional advice is a little so-so too). You could also look into Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Free Nike Training Club app on your phone...the trainers are always asking me where I'm getting my workouts and it's from the app.
  • conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing....I bought the recommended books and they're just sitting there now. I ended up finding workouts on Youtube (Fitness models workouts for butts) and then typing them up and bringing them to the gym with me. Mostly for the glutes and then I would just wing it for upper body but now I'm working on an upper body program to follow as well. You can see how the machines work or just watch people that use them so you know. Good luck!!!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    A trainer isn't necessary....there are all kinds of strength training routines available online that you can print and follow. In addition to Nia Shanks, NROLFW, Stonglifts, etc., below is a pretty good starting point with tons of simplified info.

www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

Don't over complicate it, be sure to check your form. Bodybuilding.com has terrific short videos showing what the different lifts are and how to execute them properly.

If your gym offers group exercise programs that incorporate weights try a few of those. I find that group exercise classes give me a good indication of where I should be with intensity as I can sometimes find myself getting a little complacent. :)