How to measure ice cream accurately?

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i just eat the whole container so that their are no inaccuracies.
  • mad_lifting_runner
    Options
    Yep...always weigh it in grams. Then add about a third more for that whole extra scoop you tried to sneak in AFTER you weighed the serving. :)
  • retread4258
    retread4258 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I stand on the scale before I eat a pint and then again after. Usually there is no change so clearly there are insignificant calories in a pint. Not quite true when I eat a half-gallon, but I only do that a couple times a month. August I gained 12 pounds on my weight loss program. In September, I gained only 11. I'm liking the trend!
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I weigh it. Almost every brand of ice cream I've had has been 60-65 grams for a serving. This is whether it's cookie dough, mint chocolate chip, or plain chocolate/vanilla. I think even the green tea ice cream I got once was in that range, though it seemed like a denser ice cream to me.
  • formerfatboy1
    formerfatboy1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Food scale for sure. When I do eat ice cream.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I weigh it. I don't think I've evncountered ice cream that didn't have a measurement in grams.

Does you countainer have a net weight printed on it? If so, try dividing that by the number of servings.
  • lgpperry1
    lgpperry1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Be careful with using any methods that depend on "servings per container". The listed number of servings and the actual number of servings are usually not the same.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Yep...always weigh it in grams. Then add about a third more for that whole extra scoop you tried to sneak in AFTER you weighed the serving. :)

^^ That made me chuckle. ????
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Seems everyone here missed the part where the OP said the serving size is in ML...

I'd google the ice cream type and see if you can find how many grams is a serving size for it. It can be anywhere from 61g to 100g a serving or something. Personally... I just wouldn't buy ice cream with a ML serving size because it's a PITA.
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    when my bowl is full it's the right amount :bigsmile:
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I stand on the scale before I eat a pint and then again after. Usually there is no change so clearly there are insignificant calories in a pint. Not quite true when I eat a half-gallon, but I only do that a couple times a month. August I gained 12 pounds on my weight loss program. In September, I gained only 11. I'm liking the trend!

Funny guy eh? made me smile

As for me, I always use a food scale. A serving of ice cream is generally 0.5 cup. Which for me, usually is one big scoopful.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I read once that an ice cream scoop is approximately 1/2 cup and the serving is 1/2 cup, so I just do one scoop. It's not precise but honestly, I think it's not even a half cup, so I am underestimating-in my estimation:wink:
  • Spyderwmn
    Spyderwmn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally love your way of thinking!
    :love:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I weigh it on a food scale by grams.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    when my bowel* is full it's the right amount :bigsmile:

FTFY
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Most serving sizes have the serving listed as grams if you look on the container (sometimes it's off to the side; ie: 1 cup (xx grams).

Otherwise, I Google the conversion and weigh it that way.

I am NOT one of those people that can "eyeball" an accurate serving size :ohwell:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,567 Member
    Options
    Right next to servings mine has 1/2 cup (65g) where the nutrition facts are. I always put a bowl on a scale and scoop out my portions into that, always.

^^This.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Seems everyone here missed the part where the OP said the serving size is in ML...

I'd google the ice cream type and see if you can find how many grams is a serving size for it. It can be anywhere from 61g to 100g a serving or something. Personally... I just wouldn't buy ice cream with a ML serving size because it's a PITA.
    You wouldn't have a choice if you were in Canada.
    I buy 2 litre tubs where a serving is 125 ml. (1/2 metric cup)
    I wish it were in grams but I'm not going to sweat it.
    Next time I'll weigh one full, subtract an empty tub (I have a few around) and divide by 16 to see...
  • i log the entire half-gallon (not all on the same day of course -- I'll put like 1c a day for a week) and then I eat however much of it I want whenever I want with no worries
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    i log the entire half-gallon (not all on the same day of course -- I'll put like 1c a day for a week) and then I eat however much of it I want whenever I want with no worries

Smart! LOL