Finding the energy....

Options
Hi, just looking for other people who have the same problem.
I bought T25 and I was excited to start it. But come the time after work, I just don't have energy to do it. I've always been this way with exercise. For the past year, I haven't had much energy to do much. Mostly from depression. So it gets really hard. I also have fibromyalgia, so most days I'm in a lot of pain, and working out when I'm having bad episodes feels impossible.
I tried yoga, but I couldn't seem to do half the moves... My joints always hurt. I don't mean to complain, I just don't know how to get started. I know T25 is only about half an hour, but I'm not sure when to do it when I become busy, or exhausted.
Just looking for motivation, I suppose.

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    There's always caffeine.
  • Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way towards the end of the day. I'm more of a morning person. I wake up early to get my workouts in and it is so much better for me. It gives me energy and helps me feel more awake. Is it possible to wake up early to workout?
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    There's always caffeine.

:smile:
  • Ragtees
    Ragtees Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Depression is a tough thing to get through. You don't have to do T25 or yoga to start out, just start walking . It'll help with your depression and give you extra energy as you build your stamina back. Once you start to get more energized add in a couple yoga classes per week or a T25 class. Here's a link to an article regarding exercise and depression:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Exercise-and-Depression-report-excerpt.htm
  • aaamberxx
    aaamberxx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There's always caffeine.

I'm not supposed to drink caffeine. Allergy, although it's not too bad if it's in pop or the like. Can't drink coffee for the life of me. Sometimes I wish it would help.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    try doing it first thing when you get up so its all over with and you do not have to worry about it for the rest of the day
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, too, and understand the pain, but I have found that just doing whatever and keeping moving is the key to suffering less. I might be too much to expect yourself to do some difficult exercise regimen, especially if you're too tired in the afternoon. Personally, that's the best time for me, but I go to the gym because it's more motivating and the classes provide a pre-made work out for me. Then I can sit in the hot tub, which really helps a lot with pain, stiffness and muscle soreness. The first suggestion here is another option; do your workout first, then go about your day. You probably already know that exercise can improve your mood, so just do it and don't wait for the energy. Just go through the motions to start and keep doing it.

You might also investigate physicians who deal with fibromyalgia chronic fatigue syndrome by investigating potential other causes of your symptoms, like hypothyroidism, altered coagulation, various infections, both bacterial and viral. I did that and got better results with thyroid supplements and a combination of an antidepressant and naltrexone than with NSAIDS. Check out www.holtorffmedicalgroup.com. Even if that office isn't anywhere near you, they have a lot of literature and webinars that might be helpful to point you in the right direction for better treatment.

But most of all, keep moving! If you don't you'll be stiffer and in more pain.
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    No one can give you motivation. You have to want it bad enough. I read a quote that I try and remember when I think I am too tired or too busy to work out....

Somewhere... Someone else who is busier than YOU is working out!!!!!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have to admit from your post I was really surprised you were only 19. The lack of energy, fibromyalgia, joint pain. Boy, I am certainly no expert but I will tell you that a lack of energy, lack of exercise will fuel the depression. It is a vicious cycle. Sometimes even when you feel like you have nothing left, just give it a little. I have never come out of a work out being more tired than when I started. ever.
    For me, I have no motivation to exercise at home by myself. Too easy to quit when tired. If I go to a gym where I can watch other people, it motivates me, gets me out of the house and off my butt. (good place to make friends as well) Pick something you love to do and just commit. You are way too young to feel this way!! Good luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have zero energy after work - so I exercise in the morning. It does suck when the alarm goes off, but once I roll out of bed I go on auto-pilot and I really have none of that same whiny voice that goes off in the afternoons. Plus then I don't have to stress about it during the day.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You said about trying yoga and not being able to do the moves.....

First you need to find an instructor that gives you options, there are options for most of the moves, and if you can't do it so be it. Do what you can without hurting yourself or giving you pain. Do a Child Pose for that time or whatever. There are options.

Second it does take time and you will find out is it is always a practice, stretching a bit more, a new pose to work on etc. I am a type A personality in a lot of things and it continues to be Achilles's heal, because I always want to do it like the instructor or stretch as far as the 20 something year old next to me. But I can't . 50 years old, new to yoga, arthritis, hell I can't even bend my right knee enough to sit on my legs.

Third, I found a gym membership, the best $ I spent when it come to exercise. I could never exercise at home, no matter how hard I tried. I couldn't even make myself take a walk. Now I automatically go right after work at least three days a week, I want to add a Friday or Saturday soon. I joined with a friend so we are accountable to each other, not carved in stone, but it does make you think when you feel like saying "ah not tonight".

Give yoga another try (my friend has fibro too and she likes it) Good luck.
  • aaamberxx
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, too, and understand the pain, but I have found that just doing whatever and keeping moving is the key to suffering less. I might be too much to expect yourself to do some difficult exercise regimen, especially if you're too tired in the afternoon. Personally, that's the best time for me, but I go to the gym because it's more motivating and the classes provide a pre-made work out for me. Then I can sit in the hot tub, which really helps a lot with pain, stiffness and muscle soreness. The first suggestion here is another option; do your workout first, then go about your day. You probably already know that exercise can improve your mood, so just do it and don't wait for the energy. Just go through the motions to start and keep doing it.

You might also investigate physicians who deal with fibromyalgia chronic fatigue syndrome by investigating potential other causes of your symptoms, like hypothyroidism, altered coagulation, various infections, both bacterial and viral. I did that and got better results with thyroid supplements and a combination of an antidepressant and naltrexone than with NSAIDS. Check out www.holtorffmedicalgroup.com. Even if that office isn't anywhere near you, they have a lot of literature and webinars that might be helpful to point you in the right direction for better treatment.

But most of all, keep moving! If you don't you'll be stiffer and in more pain.

Thank you! I think I may try to get up in the morning to have a walk, although mornings are super hard for me. Until winter comes anyway.
    And I will definitely look into that as well.
  • aaamberxx
    Options
    I have to admit from your post I was really surprised you were only 19. The lack of energy, fibromyalgia, joint pain. Boy, I am certainly no expert but I will tell you that a lack of energy, lack of exercise will fuel the depression. It is a vicious cycle. Sometimes even when you feel like you have nothing left, just give it a little. I have never come out of a work out being more tired than when I started. ever.
    For me, I have no motivation to exercise at home by myself. Too easy to quit when tired. If I go to a gym where I can watch other people, it motivates me, gets me out of the house and off my butt. (good place to make friends as well) Pick something you love to do and just commit. You are way too young to feel this way!! Good luck!
    Yeah I know :( My doctor said the same, that's why we're working on my pain stuff first, not my depression, because it could be the cause of the depression. So kind of just one thing at a time right now. 5th doctor, so far so good.
    I have really, really bad anxiety (also working on that) so a gym membership isn't really a thing I want to do right now, although maybe down the line I will try it.
    I know I want to do this, it's just very hard. My motivation is that I need to walk my dogs. I feel bad that they get all cooped up when I dont leave the house, so I'm trying to make sure they get at least a walk in.

So much going on at once, not sure what to do. So hard to prioritize when I hear different things from everyone. Think I might try to just hold off on the T25, and get into walking again. I might try mornings, although I never sleep enough, so I guess we'll see!!
  • hannahhaggis312
    Options
    Hey. i have endometriosis and i have suffered with depression too. i find that when im able to get up and about i go for a walk. i have recently got a fit bit which tracks the number of steps and it gives you something to aim for when walking. With the pain i have come to the conclusion that i am going to have the pain regardless of if i do exercise or not (some may argue this is a bad idea but it helps with dealing with the pain for me :) ) . i find exercise better to do in the evening or if i have a spare 10 mins i just go for a walk, it gets the steps up and you dont really notice 10 mins, but it all adds on the steps :)

i have also been going to the gym but i make sure i have the rest of the evening free as sometimes exercise does make me in more pain (think its the adhesions) so i just relax at home after.
    The exercise and depression is true in practice too when i dont do as much exercise i feel myself slipping back into the negative thinking etc.

i hope this helps
  • mbam89
    mbam89 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey :)
    It took me forever to finally get into working out. I'd want to get into a routine, but I would never stick with it until I found Zumba. I sucked at it, but it was so much fun! My suggestion is to find something you enjoy. Do you love nature? Try walking. If you enjoy yoga, and you're just not good at it yet, stick with it. Try water aerobics if impact is to painful. Just find something you enjoy enough to keep doing it.

Someone said to start with going through the motions. I think that's a great idea. Just start, you know? Eventually it will create and upward spiral, exercise will give you more energy and should help ease the depression, which should fuel your motivation!