A pricey (calorie wise) lesson learned

Options
2»

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Really? They put pancake batter in the scrambled eggs? Wow

Yeah, I'm still stuck right here. It sounds so beyond gross.

But like everyone else has said, I pre-log all food I don't cook myself to make sure I don't have that freak out moment.

Exactly. Kind of makes me glad there isn't an IHOP around here.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    not to mention all the hydrogenated soy bean oil and such they use. Ihop is so so bad. A lot of times it would be healthier to go eat a burger at mcdonalds. seriously :laugh:

Just soy oil is bad enough, hydrogenated the oil and that is a recipe for death.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Light and fluffy scrambled eggs just doesn't sound right to me. If anything, I like them a bit runny. But either way, it's good to try and log things in advance when eating at restaurants, particularly if you suspect they are preparing it in a non-conventional fashion.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That's why I stick to the 'light menu'. If something that you would think would be low calories isn't in it, it's probably a bad sign.
  • knoelledi
    knoelledi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Perkins is even worse. We travel some for business and look up a lot of our items prior to going. Our biggest issue is the sodium in everything. I know you can ask for no salt but there's no guarantee they will listen.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Man that batter-in-the-eggs things could really screw up a Celiac :-/
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yeah....honestly, I tend to wanna just make my own meals because even if I find something low-cal at a restaurant, it still ends up having damn near 1,000mg of sodium and that's just ridiculous. I don't know what's going on with these places and all the dang sodium and huge proportions and stuff, but it just re-enforces the fact I need to cook more for myself and leave those places for very rare dine-out occasions.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Man that batter-in-the-eggs things could really screw up a Celiac :-/

Been there, asked about that, now I never go near pancake houses with a 10 foot pole. Even if they say they have gluten free options... really?... with all that wheat flour in the kitchen. NO!

BTW they 'say' it's to make the eggs light & fluffy, but wheat flour & water are wayyy cheaper than eggs. So you're paying IHOP egg prices for flour batter. They aren't stupid...
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Ever seen the calories for IHOP's big breakfast combo plate? Enough to sustain a football team.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Had this happen yesterday. Ran out of my home prepared frozen lunches and decided to get the honey mustard chicken salad at pdq. Then found their website which listed it at over 800 calories and 70 grams of fat. Fortunately I didn't do too much damage since I was in a calorie deficit from exercise before bed the night before. But, pdq just lost a customer.

Just finished making another 21 days of frozen lunches. If I'm going to add calories to my day I'd rather it be in the form of chocolate instead of from a chain that markets itself as being a healthier fast food alternative.

No offense, but how many calories did you expect to be in a salad with fried chicken, cheese, and a creamy dressing?

Refusing to go back to their restaurant seems silly.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    I used to love IHOP. Then WA state changed the law and they started posting the calories in the menus. Holy cow, was that an eye opener. We still go once in a great while and I just order something smallish and work it into my day. But the scrambled eggs? Never. I don't want pancake batter in my eggs...ever. But you can go there and manage to stay around 800c pretty easily. Good as brunch or 'linner'.