Do you have any great hidden veggie recipes?

Options
A bit of background... In my family there were two veggies, and that was it. One was corn (smothered in butter) and the other were peas (covered in cheese) (which thankfully I was not a fan of the peas/cheese). Not the healthiest of choices.

I'm an adult now, with kids of my own. My husband loves veggies and me and my kids, well we don't. I've expanded a little to now eat brocoli, grean beans, and carrots (raw carrots, steamed everything else) in addition to corn (now not smothered in butter). I've also found that spinach in mashed potatoes tastes delicious. So it got me thinking, what other delicious ways are there to sneak in a serving of vegestables into my day?

So MFP, what is your favorite hidden veggie recipe (and please share either the recipe or a link to it, I'm eager to try some new healthier options).

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Not really hidden recipes, exactly....but...

I have discovered that if I mince up onions, in just about anything (I have an ultimate chopper than does this QUITE WELL), I don't notice them, just an enhanced flavor, and trust me, I despise onions. This works with mushrooms, too - cut them up quite small. Mix them with any sauce or crumbled meat and you won't notice them (if a sauce and you are worried about even tiny chunks, saute them a teeny bit then blend or puree).

I've also heard that you can take the lowest level of baby food purees and mix them in almost anything. Carrots mix very easily into meatloaf and sauces. Spinach blends well into meatloaf and meatballs - if pureed enough, won't even be visible, especially if you already use Italian herbs.

I have heard tell of cauliflower blended to extend potatoes, but my guy HATES cauliflower with a fiery passion, so I haven't tried this one. I've heard it makes a decent faux fried rice, too. Pizza crust supposedly, too but I dunno on that one.

I like stir fries because you can add in almost anything. Snow peas, carrots, mushrooms, bean sprouts (the canned type) mix in easily, water chestnuts if diced, minced bell peppers can be good, but make sure you get the ones with three bumps on the bottom (sweet) and not four (spicy). Something to do with male and female variants of the plants.

I find that if you and your family like dipping that making homemade ranch (using mix and yogurt or sour cream - tons of pinterest recipes!) or yogurt/honey dip, etc., try a different random vegetable once a week when it is on sale. I used to hate bell peppers until I got the baby sweet ones and used them with hummus. Celery minced up and cooked with onions and either carrots or bell peppers are different trinities of flavor profiles for most home cooking.

Broccoli added to mac and cheese (Hungry Girl has a FABULOUS recipe for this)...

I've heard tell of pea puree used for a couple things, though I'm not a fan myself...

www.skinnytaste.com has some baked rice recipes that have veggies in them....

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Hugs, C

P.S. I totally hear you on the two veggies - though we had a third - green beans straight from a can, and no cheese on the peas, but yup, those were the three. Oh, saute green beans with a little butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and almond slivers or slices...super yummy...not much butter needed, but butter is good for you in moderation. Oh, and I find the more ways I try sweet potatoes, the more I like them (used to hate them...and still can't make them sweet...have to be savory...lol). You can sneak in veggies with small dice in salads... Oh, and you can sneak zucchini, carrots, or pumpkin (and others, i'm sure) into breads for a mildly sweet treat.

P.P.S. I read a blog once about a woman who wanted her kids to try new veggies, so each weekend they went to a farmer's market and got to pick out one exotic veggie (or at least new to them) to try each week. Rule was they had to eat a bite of what was made. They loved picking veggies out so much it became a family adventure.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Uh oh .. Now I'm hungry .. it's time for supper! LOL - I don't hide my veggies .. I EAT them, so I won't be much help .. sorry, just lurking ;)
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Check out my blog,you may find something you like in there

http://www.yummiliciousrecipes.com/

My husband is a vegetarian so Ive learnt a lot of vegetarian recipes to keep it interesting.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Anything sauteed with Bell Peppers, Onion, and Celery.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I looooooove spinach in mashed potatoes. I need to make it again! Carrots are great mashed with potatoes too.

Shepherd's Pie has 'hidden' veggies. I typically add frozen peas and you barely taste them. You can add spinach in lasagna too.

This meatloaf is delicious and has a bunch of veggies in it

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/old-fashioned-meat-loaf-aka-basic-meatloaf-recipe.html
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine made this and it's AMAZING! I don't like eggplant or tomatoes but I loved it!!

1 Yellow onion Chopped
    1 Garlic clove minced
    4-5 small to med tomatoes (cut into slices or forths)
    1 med zucchini cubed
    1-3 med eggplants cubed
    2 jars marinated artichokes (Fresh should work okay too)
    Italian seasoning (to taste)
    10 fresh basil leaves chopped

Put it all in a 13x9 glass dish uncovered at 350 for about 45 minutes or until veggies are tender. She did say she stirred it twice just to get the juices/flavors blended.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of veggies but there is a new product called " Veggie Blend-Ins" that I want to try. These are pureed veggies that you can add to your favorite recipes (sauces, brownies, soups, etc.). Available at walmart or on amazon. I ordered some but have not received yet.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Haha I was never that great at sneaking veggies in (my youngest still hates them @ 18) but bolognaise is an easy way - you can hide anything in there.

Not exactly hidden but she does like ramen - we have seaweed, brocolli, spring onion and noodles in there (tried carrots but it was a step to far for her :laugh: )
  • Polishprincess83
    Polishprincess83 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a wheat allergy. So, there are a lot of foods that I can't eat. I also have a son that is a picky eater because of his Autism. An easy meal I suggest for veggies is Gluten Free Spaghetti. You can buy Gluten Free Spaghetti Noodles at a store. Barilla is a brand that I use. It is made up of corn and rice. I use ground turkey meat instead of beef. I also add red onion, garlic, and white mushroom to the recipe.

1 TBSP Olive Oil
    1/2 Red onion diced (You choose the size) I use a medium to large.
    1 Garlic clove
    1 lb lean Ground Turkey Meat
    1 Jar of Francesco Rinaldi Original Spaghetti Sauce
    1 box of Barilla Gluten Free Spaghetti Noodles
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    perfect time of year for roasted Fall vegetables

Just cube a couple of potatoes, an acorn or butternut squash, a turnip, a zucchini, 1/2 onion and coat all with olive oil or olive oil spray. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Bake at 400 on upper rack for an hour and stir halfway through.
    Didn't notice the part about "hidden". oh well.