Where's the calorie deficit in exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand eating back calories if you are not hungry. Your body tells you what it needs. If it is saying it doesn't need it, why try so hard to meet a number that may be inaccurate?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I ended reading lots of posts in this forum saying you must eat all what you burn back (ex: if I ate 1200 and burn 600 my body is only living with 600 cals wich is crazy in a bad way,

Not on all the threads ive seen on eating back calories. the threads are consistent in saying only eat a p[ortion back in case you or mfp are overestimating calories burned. The other part of the calorie loss is built in when you set up on how much a week you would like to lose. On theory you could eat back all your exercise calories, if the number you burned was accurate.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    I ended reading lots of posts in this forum saying you must eat all what you burn back (ex: if I ate 1200 and burn 600 my body is only living with 600 cals wich is crazy in a bad way,

I'm thinking through this logic and it doesn't fully make sense. We need to lose weight because we are storing more reserves than our body needs. So technically speaking you are not living off 600. But to each their own. There is more than one way to do this. tracking is the most important part.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I'm thinking through this logic and it doesn't fully make sense. We need to lose weight because we are storing more reserves than our body needs. So technically speaking you are not living off 600. But to each their own. There is more than one way to do this. tracking is the most important part.

I guess I'm doing it wrong. :ohwell:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand eating back calories if you are not hungry. Your body tells you what it needs. If it is saying it doesn't need it, why try so hard to meet a number that may be inaccurate?

Hunger can be a terrible gauge of whether or not you're getting enough nutrition for some people. Hunger signals aren't always trustworthy and can be suppressed by too many things. You need to pay attention to other signs like gym performance, concentration, mood, healthy hair and nails, etc.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options

Hunger can be a terrible gauge of whether or not you're getting enough nutrition for some people. Hunger signals aren't always trustworthy and can be suppressed by too many things. You need to pay attention to other signs like gym performance, concentration, mood, healthy hair and nails, etc.

Point taken. What I'm getting at is that your body tells you if you pay attention.
  • PetiteMinina
    PetiteMinina Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also, if you chose to eat back your exercise calories, you don't have to eat burgers and muffins to get to to your goal. (I'm wondering how many you think you would need to use up 600 calories?) Just make sure you're actually burning that much before you decide how to use those extra calories.

That's why I said eating the cals back either makes me feel stuffed, when I try to eat them back healthy, because you can eat lots of veggies and they are low in calorie... so that's why it's a lot of food, compared to eating just one burger (one burger is 600cals or even more, depends of how it's cooked) or cookies, etc. I haven't been long doing this (eating junk food) because it's not been long since I learned about the starvation mode think... But for now on I'll do less cardio and add weight training, that way I won't need to eat a lot later and still be fit... And the days I know I'll eat bad food I'll burn more calories yay!

Thanks for your comment! :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat them back, if you're not, then don't.
  • sammmmykins
    sammmmykins Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    my advice is do not measure activity because it's unreliable and goes into crazy territory. just weigh yourself, if you lose too much then eat a bit more. You should be aiming for like 2lbs a week.

also starvation mode isn't a real thing, please do not worry about having to eat at certain times of the day or whatever, as long as you're getting x amount of calories you're okay.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    What's the point of exercise? How about strong bones, keeping muscle mass and burning fat, feeling great, to name a few.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I exercise for shape, fitness and so i can treat myself with food. I'm not sure where you read not to eat back your calories, or to eat them all back. I usually see to eat all but 200 or 300 back. I find it extremely restrictive to stay at 1200. I get hungry. Perhaps its my level of activity or stress at work. I have been yoyoing my entire life and I now realize that its been too much restrictions of my food choices, too much of denying myself food after working out, and the fact I eat when stressed that has made me unable to maintain weight loss. I now get the concept that I should eat back SOME of the calories burned in exercise, that fat and dairy are OK while "dieting " and its just all about calories in and out. I'm losing weight, and I'm not feeling deprived and starved. I don't know how hard you're working out and yet not feeling hungry, but I'm a bit jealous.