Do you weigh prepackaged food?

Options
I do, mostly because I'm paranoid, but usually things are consistently off! Like, the whole wheat tortillas I use are always 44 grams, not 41. Sour patch kid individual packs are generally closer to 60 grams than 51. My protein bar today was 55 grams, not 50. All in all by the end of the day I usually record an extra 100 calories due to different actual weights or prepackaged food. I know everything is an estimate, but if I took an extra bite of something, I would record it, which is essentially what's happening here. Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I don't bother with yogurt cups or cheese sticks though... The times I weighed yogurt it was actually under anyway, and cheese sticks I don't eat enough of, but maybe I should... Today my 180 calories breakfast bar was really 198 calories, my 60 calories wrap was 63 calories...

The worst was those 'waffle waffle' waffles (which are AMAZING) I bought a few times. A serving is half a waffle for 130 calories, but when you weigh them, a waffle is closer to 320 calories than 260... it really adds up (especially as I used to eat the whole box of them...).

In my experience the only item that is always correct are Special K pastry crisps. 25g every single time. The rest is always over... except prepackaged bread that is occasionally under, if you get a smaller slice or something.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I don't.
    The types of pre-packaged foods I eat are usually not very calorie dense anyway, and I weigh enough other things to fret about the 10 calorie difference that a few grams will make for the types of prepackaged foods I eat.

Don't judge others who do though.
  • Nouurann
    Nouurann Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I don't bother with yogurt cups or cheese sticks though... The times I weighed yogurt it was actually under anyway, and cheese sticks I don't eat enough of, but maybe I should... Today my 180 calories breakfast bar was really 198 calories, my 60 calories wrap was 63 calories...

The worst was those 'waffle waffle' waffles (which are AMAZING) I bought a few times. A serving is half a waffle for 130 calories, but when you weigh them, a waffle is closer to 320 calories than 260... it really adds up (especially as I used to eat the whole box of them...).

In my experience the only item that is always correct are Special K pastry crisps. 25g every single time. The rest is always over... except prepackaged bread that is occasionally under, if you get a smaller slice or something.

Yes!!! My Special K bars are always exact! Same experience with waffles. Serving would be two waffles, but always 14 or 15 grams off per waffle!