High deficit but not losing. Help needed

Options

Replies

• dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @leanbutnotmean44 - trust me, we could both keep explaining this to her until we are blue in the face, but the fact remains she knows best so we should just STFU with our correct and scientifically backed info.

there really isn't any point in arguing it further. she may read the links i provided that disprove her reasoning, but will she accept that she was wrong and expand on why she was wrong and research to come to the correct conclusions? i'd guess no, since we're here giving her all the information she needs and we get back a
    I can't believe I'm getting so much slack over suggesting a perfectly healthy style of dieting/eating just cause the "science" behind it changes.
    like statement.

so in the end, what's the use? let her stay ignorant all she wants, that's fully her choice/freedom. i just hope that she would choose to explore the facts further before offering advice is all. but i know that's way too much to ask of some people.
  • cconniee
    Options
    LeanButNotMea & TheVirgoddess, I can appreciate the points you are making about not taking into consideration Fats, Carbs and other nutrients like that, and I do see your point in just explaining that the small meals throughout the day worked for ME and someone might want to give it a try to see if it works for them... I will take that into consideration next time I as someone if they would like to try this style of eating..

dont_tap_my_a, Get down from your high horse, your not perfect and you approached your response to my advice wrong.
    Next time why not say what it is. It is a good suggestion to try different styles of eating and this may work for him, however research into the science behind the suggestion should be researched since it has changed in the past years...

You responding with -

("OMG no stop. just stop. if you are going to give advice, at least have it be in the realm of reality.

OP and anyone else reading this, please don't buy into this heavily debunked myth regarding meal timing. there is zero science behind this.")

- It seems like you were looking for confrontation. If you are going to talk that way to me why on earth should I listen to anything else you have to say to me since I am so far out from reality and have no clue whats going on!
    In no way did you say that it was just the science behind it you were against, You in fact made it seem like I was a lunatic for suggesting this way of eating......
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    12 days is not very much time to see results. Also you have a lot of generic listings and homemade. Are you making these homemade items? You're eating more than you think.
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    Options
    dont_tap_my_a, Get down from your high horse, your not perfect and you approached your response to my advice wrong.

oh really? i think my follow up explained it all very clearly. I never once argued that your method of eating frequently wont work or is bad/harmful. I just attacked your incorrect advice that it speeds up metabolism and then later that you attributed your continued weight loss to the fact the body no longer stores food because it knows more is coming.

that information is flat out wrong. period.

attack me personally all you want, i don't care. But if you want to give out incorrect information then be prepared for corrections
  • cconniee
    Options

oh really? i think my follow up explained it all very clearly. I never once argued that your method of eating frequently wont work or is bad/harmful. I just attacked your incorrect advice that it speeds up metabolism and then later that you attributed your continued weight loss to the fact the body no longer stores food because it knows more is coming.

attack me personally all you want, i don't care. But if you want to give out incorrect information then be prepared for corrections

My point is you can counter information as correct or not correct without being arrogant. Oh wait, maybe you can't..
    Sorry but my niceness is kept for people who don't start out attacking me!

Don't expect me to give you any respect when you attacked me as a person to try to prove your point!

You can claim you didn't attack me all you want, but telling me I am out of touch with reality is a direct attack to who I am and has nothing to do with you trying to get the facts straight!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

My point is you can counter information as correct or not correct without being arrogant. Oh wait, maybe you can't..

Don't expect me to give you any respect when you attacked me as a person to try to prove your point!

You can claim you didn't attack me all you want, but telling me I am out of touch with reality is a direct attack to who I am and has nothing to do with you trying to get the facts straight!

I'm out of touch with reality on a lot of things - most of which I want people to correct me on. It's how I grow as a person. I'd much rather be corrected (even in public) than share incorrect information.

If you post something outrageously false and present it as fact, people are going to get irritated. Some of us spend a lot of time on here trying to help people and correct myths (and the behaviors born of those) like the one you posted. So it can get frustrating. He's trying to help - the more you understand about your body and how it works, the more successful you're likely to be in this health/weight loss stuff.

So try not to take it personally. He said you were wrong, and you were. Being wrong isn't inherently a bad thing.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I attempted to be perfectly polite with you early. You responded by telling me that nothing at all would convince you otherwise. I'm not defending the tone that anyone else may or may not be using above, but can you see how telling us that nothing can change your mind makes it hard to have a conversation? Now you say that being polite might have helped. It's just a whole lot of mixed messages.
  • cconniee
    Options

I attempted to be perfectly polite with you early. You responded by telling me that nothing at all would convince you otherwise. I'm not defending the tone that anyone else may or may not be using above, but can you see how telling us that nothing can change your mind makes it hard to have a conversation? Now you say that being polite might have helped. It's just a whole lot of mixed messages.

I think once things started flying off the handle everything started coming out wrong. I can and did see that you were not trying to be rude to me, and I really was not trying to be rude to you. But that is easier said then done when someone is already aggravated by someone else.
  • cconniee
    Options

I'm out of touch with reality on a lot of things - most of which I want people to correct me on. It's how I grow as a person. I'd much rather be corrected (even in public) than share incorrect information.

If you post something outrageously false and present it as fact, people are going to get irritated. Some of us spend a lot of time on here trying to help people and correct myths (and the behaviors born of those) like the one you posted. So it can get frustrating. He's trying to help - the more you understand about your body and how it works, the more successful you're likely to be in this health/weight loss stuff.

So try not to take it personally. He said you were wrong, and you were. Being wrong isn't inherently a bad thing.

Once again, my problem is not being told I am misinformed about something. My problem is someone personally attacking me to do so....

I am typically a very nice person, but attack me and I will attack back.
    Just so there is no "misunderstanding" with this post, I am not trying to attack you with that statement, I am simply explaining something.
  • cconniee
    Options
    This ridiculousness has to end sometime so I'm going to end it now. I am not coming back to this board so anything you write will not be read by me.

I stated an eating style that worked for me, I used "old" science to back it up so I guess those scientist back then were in another realm of reality and should be put in straight jackets for thinking such things instead of continuing there careers...

Sorry to anyone I offended (except dont_tap_my_a who was looking for confrontation with the words he chose)...

PS. Never Forget the 'Egg Theory' and Don't believe everything you read and only half of what you see.
    If the Egg Theory has proven anything, it has proven that even scientist are wrong 50% of the time... LOL

:laugh: :tongue: :noway: :tongue: :noway: :laugh:

(For those who missed out on the Egg Theory, I am referring to how one min eggs are good for us, then the next min they are bad for us, then good, then bad..... and so on.....)
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    Options
    I used "old" science to back it up

nope. you used no science. you went off myth's that have been debunked. so please if anyone is still bothering to read down this far, know that she is still not correct. there was never any "old" science to back up her incorrect claim that eating frequently increases metabolism. as far as i've found, this myth was created by supplement companies to try and sell you meal replacement shakes/bars. great marketing, but not science.
    PS. Never Forget the 'Egg Theory' and Don't believe everything you read and only half of what you see.

hopefully people take this into account for when opinions are stated about diets/metabolism and zero science backs it up. however, i would like to point out at least i've offered 3 links to studies that back up what i said. so always research for yourself, and a great place to start would be the links i provided.
    If the Egg Theory has proven anything, it has proven that even scientist are wrong 50% of the time... LOL

you just can't stop putting your foot in your mouth? you are completely entitled to your opinions, and beliefs, regardless if they are based on science and fact or not. but when you go on a forum and post things like your Egg theory has proven scientists are wrong 50% of the time, you are no longer keeping your opinions and beliefs to yourself. you are offering them out to the public, and if they are wrong then don't be offended if you are corrected. There is enough bad/misinformation out there already thanks to marketing companies and bro-science, let's do our best to at least to make this community free from all that.
  • cuteazz1
    Options
    I REALLY wish that you guys could stay ON TOPIC,this arguing back and forth looks really immature.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I REALLY wish that you guys could stay ON TOPIC,this arguing back and forth looks really immature.

I'm not sure which people you're referring to, but I suspect that I'm one of them. Generally speaking, this isn't a board that suffers misinformation and bad science well. That sort of thing doesn't help anyone and it's going to be called out when it happens. I notice that your own comment isn't particularly on-topic either, but feel free to keep labeling people immature instead of offering any real advice.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Definitely a typo, sorry. It was 5 weeks but 35lbs rather than 45. It sounds impossible but isn't. I went from no movement at all and basicly eating only junk food to a lot of hard work and a strict clean diet.

Building muscle isn't my priority. I can work on them once the last bit of stubborn fat is gone. But like I said, strength training IS a part of my workouts.
    I might be doing too much. I definitely don't think I'm eating less than I should have - I often eat when not hungry e.g. dinner with family.
    I only drink water and sometimes milk or orange juice (which I always log). I allow myself one coffee per week (medium latte).
    There is no change in inches or body shape. Still waiting for that bloody six pack to start appearing!

Details that I failed to provide earlier:
    Female
    24yrs old
    172cm/5ft 7in
    67kg/ 10st 7lbs

Ill make my diary public, see if you guys think I should change something.
    Holy crap on a cracker! If I could lose a pound a day for five weeks...short of hurting someone, there isn't much I wouldn't do for that.

My advice is to:

1. See the doctor, if you haven't done that. Mist the smart thing to do!
    2. Eat a little less (there are only two ways to lose! Eat less and/or exercise more - and you're already arthritic)
    3. Be more patient. I know you said not to say it! But it's kind of a requirement. The weight comes off when it comes off.
    4. Remember that weight fluctuates - sodium will cause the scale to go up and so will coming up on a period. Don't wig.
    5. See the doctor. I already said it, but it bears repeating, because the idea getting actual, sound, medical advice is so often tossed out the window without a second though. Think twice, lol.

Good luck!!
  • Airportchick
    Airportchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I will up my calories a bit and try and add more protein to my diet. I will also reduce my excersize even though I dont want to but most of you think it's what I should do so might as well give it a go.

When my doctor told me I needed to reduce my exercise I thought she was nuts too. But it helped. I feel so much better and the numbers on the scale started going down. I am glad you are open to trying to ease up a bit and see what happens. :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I will up my calories a bit...

If you were trying to gain weight, would you lower your calories?
  • blessybuva
    blessybuva Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow. Alot of arguing in this topic now. Can I just remind you all that different things work for different people before you tear into each other (and me) again.
    If the amount of fat I have doesn't go down in the next 2 weeks then I am definitely going back to a no carb/high fat and protein diet.

Again, thank you everyone who didn't judge for all your advice it was really helpful.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Wow. Alot of arguing in this topic now. Can I just remind you all that different things work for different people before you tear into each other (and me) again.
    If the amount of fat I have doesn't go down in the next 2 weeks then I am definitely going back to a no carb/high fat and protein diet.

Again, thank you everyone who didn't judge for all your advice it was really helpful.

I'm just going to drop this back off, and I didn't see anyone tear into you. I saw some bad advice debunked.....that was about it.

Just throwing it out there, this is an extremely inefficient way to look at strength training and losing body fat. When you're in a deficit you lose water, fat, and muscle. In that deficit when a progressive overload training program is implemented you work to maintain that LBM while losing mostly water and fat. By doing so, you maintain the muscle you have while stripping the fat away and thus helping to create muscle definition. The scale may not move as slow, and it's not because you're building muscle, but maintaining.

Building muscle takes hours of on point progressive overload, an on point diet (of surplus or at least maintenance), and is extremely hard.....for men. It's exponentially harder for females.

Wouldn't you want to maintain the muscle you have now rather than having to work that much harder to later? If you lost 35 lbs in 5 weeks, LBM was probably a good portion of that loss. Also, I don't see a lot of strength training in your regimen. 30DS is a solid program, but it's as much cardio as it is strength....if not more.
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are nor happy with your body, try being a little more accepting of yourself.

Taking some of the pressure off yourself might help you handle all of this a little better.

Try just being proud of what you have accomplished so far and take credit for exercising and eating well.

I am not saying this is how you feel, but it saddens me to see posts ( especially from girls/women) with a tone of " I am not acceptable until I'm X number of pounds or my abs are really tight"

I'll get off the soapbox now.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Let start from the beginning.

jLZz4Na.gif