Healthy but satisfying snacks?! Help

Options
2»

Replies

• Natashalou15
    Natashalou15 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Off shopping later and thanks to you guys I have plenty of healthy snack ideas :smile: I should be able to stay away from my sons crisps and sweets now!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am not a big snack person nor am I a low carb eater...but I find that combining protein and sweets does a lot for my satisfaction when I am hungry.

For example, string cheese and a square of dark chocolate. A scrambled egg and some black grapes. An apple with peanut butter. A small portion of pecans and dried fruit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There are tons of supposed 'satisfying snacks' on the market but it seems to me that they are either full of carbs, fructose or added sugar (not good for people like me who have a sweet tooth and want that stuff all the time) and although they say 'good for you' they haven't been good for ME! (makes me tired and bloated).

Then I started to find out about the products from Dr Gaye Super-Shake…and one of the products is a kind of any-time nibble which is super-low on GI but has some really unusual ingredients in it (including cacao nibs, mulberries, coconut chips, apricot kernels, sprouted buckwheat, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds - all raw and organic). They deliver a huge nutritional benefit...stops sugar-cravings and fills me up. I liked their ethos and their Super-Porridge (which is grain/oat free) and I make that at work just using hot water from the kettle, sometimes not for breakfast and just as a snack! Actually, LIKE would be an understatement because I even started working for them - I believed in their products so much!!! Anyway, you might want to try their stuff because it's pretty great.

Here's a link to their site: www.drgayesupershake.com

Strong first post. I love the 'report spam' feature.
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Fruit
    Nuts
    Vegetables (crudités)
    Yoghurts
    Biltong (you guys have jerky which is similar)
    Fruit and nut bars
    Popcorn
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I"ve found that a half sandwich really works for me! it's balanced as well. 1 slice lower calorie whole grain bread, spicy brown mustard, all natural(nitrate/nitrite free) sliced turkey,chicken or ham, and a slice of all natural super thin sliced cheese. depending on brands, this snack rolls in around 120-160 cals and is quite filling.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    any snack that you like that fits into your calorie deficit.

Snacks with fats will be the most satisfying, to be honest.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    any snack that you like that fits into your calorie deficit.

Snacks with fats will be the most satisfying, to be honest.

yep! that's why i like my half sammie. you're right though, you have to find what works for you in the long run! a string cheese alone for me wouldn't cut it. at least not yet, maybe someday when my body is actually efficient at what it needs to do!
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My favorites
    1. Laughing Cow cheese wedge (Garlic & Herb is my fav) with some Triscuits (and sometimes black olives with it)
    2. Cottage cheese with fruit
    3. Tbsp of peanut butter with one serving of semi-sweet chocolate chips
    4. 100 calorie pack of Emerald almonds dusted with cocoa
    5. banana
    6. string cheese wrapped with a slice of turkey
    7. Yoplait Greek yogurt 100 cal (Strawberry Cheesecake is my favorite)
    8. Sugar free chocolate pudding with a few tbsp of whipped topping
    9. 1/2 c. ice cream
    10. a few mixed raw veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, celery, radishes) with a little ranch dressing
    11. celery or apple with tbsp of peanut butter
    12. piece of whole wheat toast with 1 tbsp of Nutella
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I love apple slices with peanut butter, almonds, or popcorn. You can use an air popper and make your own popcorn, but there are also several brands of popcorn that are quite reasonable calorie-wise, plus they have some fiber and protein. You get to eat a decent-size bowl for 150 calories or less, so popcorn is my go-to snack when I want to sit and munch while watching TV or reading.
  • Ixlr8a67
    Ixlr8a67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for new ideas. Hope this helps.

88 Unexpected Snacks Under 100 Calories
    http://greatist.com/health/88-unexpected-snacks-under-100-calories
  • missfitnessdaisy
    Options
    peanut butter with apple, it taste amazing, try it out :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    My two best snacks for volume-to-calories are air-popped popcorn (no oil) and veggies. I've been known to eat a whole bell pepper like an apple.
  • k_sinc
    k_sinc Posts: 39
    Options
    Anything that is full of fiber (to keep you feeling full) and takes a while to eat.. the longer it takes me to eat the food the better chance I have ot my mouth-tummy communication working better haha.

I like sliced bananas tossed in chia seeds, low fat yoghurt tubs, rice cakes or cruskits with a topping of your choice that fits into your daily intake.. The options are endless :)

All you need is some new ideas and a little inspiration sometimes huh :)