How can it be hard to eat all your calories?

Options

Replies

• amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I wish I had trouble eating all mine! I usually come in right around my calorie goal of 1200.

Many meals I prepare use olive oil so those calories can really add up fast. It was alarming to see the calories for the first time. I occasionally experiment with using less oil here and there, but staying within my calorie limit has been doable thus far, so I see no reason to modify my cooking too much.

Like some folks, I exercise frequently because it allows me to eat more. I rarely eat back all of my exercise cals though.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I used to only eat 700 calories a day and after exercise was NET 500. I was full on this. I truly was. It took me months of eating more and forcing myself to eat more to get to 1200 calories and now I NET 1200...I eat back almost all of my exercise calories, and you know what...now that I am eating more, I am hungry a LOT more often than when I was starving myself. Not sure what is going on with that, but I can eat 1500 calories a day after exercise, and still be hungry, But I am also losing more now too. So I can see how somebody can eat less than 1000 calories a day and feel full. If that is what they are used to...and it probably took weeks to get that 'full' feeling on so little. I know when I was doing that, I was starving for the first couple of weeks, but I told myself I did not NEED more, and refused to eat more...and after time, I just wasnt hungry any longer.

I am glad that I am not going down that road any longer.
  • Manda1987
    Manda1987 Posts: 207
    Options
    It's hard for me to stay under if I'm not watching myself like a hawk.

If I am watching, it's hard for me to meet it. I find that when I'm making healthier choices, I'll opt for salad (with tons of lettuce) instead of sandwiches, drink tons of water and exercise instead of snacking. For instance, today I had taco salad followed by a bit of homemade peach cobbler, and it came in under 500 calories. The salad must have weighed over a pound... but it had an entire romaine lettuce heart in it. I'd also missed breakfast because I slept in.

It's not B.S. I just really don't need that much to fuel my body. My eyes are much bigger than my stomach in most cases.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm reluctant to wade into this, but here I go:

I am one of those people who has trouble eating any more than 1100 calories a day. I have a moderately active job and I burn at least 350 calories (often more) in cardio exercise daily. The reason I'm in this predicament, I think, is because I'm eating so many vegetables, and some fresh fruit. On a typical day, I eat 1.5 cups fresh vegetables, 2 cups of salad greens, another cup of steamed vegetables (at least), and often a snack of low-sodium V-8. I also try to get two medium pieces of fresh fruit. I fill in the rest of my daily food intake (lean protein, whole grains) around those basics. The vegetables really--I mean REALLY--fill me up with few calories. I often find myself at the end of the day having consumed under 1000 calories and having to eat something else just to get above 1000.

So, there you have it, for what it's worth. I think we're all just different.

Good luck.

Don't be reluctant, I'm grateful for the inside perspective! So, why not have a piece of toast with peanutbutter in addition to all those veggies? If you're interested in staying within your goal calorie range and vegetables aren't cutting it?

Quite honestly, I'm following the eating plan in _The Mayo Clinic Diet_ book (published by the Mayo Clinic). They recommend at least four servings of fruit and two servings of vegetables per day, no sugar, whole grains only, etc. So, I start out with the recommendations for the veggies (and they dictate that, for most vegetables, a serving is 1 cup; for salad greens one serving = 2 cups), followed by the recommendations for the fruit. Beyond that, I'm just not hungry enough to add another slice of toast with peanut butter to my day. Truly, I am very full from all the veggies. And, I won't eat past a certain time in the evening.
  • Sammyk50
    Sammyk50 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Lol, I feel the same way! I never have a problem eating all my calories, I could eat twice this amount if MFP would let me!
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I call B.S. that 1/4 pizza, potatoes w/cheese plus that dinner is less than 800 calories. :noway:

it is a homemade pizza. Mostly. I buy the crust pre-made. I don't care for much cheese or sauce on my thin crust pizza. I had 3 ounces of 96/4 beef across the whole pizza, and onions, green onions, mushrooms, and baby bellas. I have it added up as a recipe, into 4 servings, they are 340 calories / 13 g of fat in 2 slices (I cut it into 8 slices...2 slices = 1/4 of the pizza)

Doubt me, whatever.

2 small red potatoes = about 74 calories. 1/2 tbsp of country crock butter = 25 cals / 3 g of fat, 1 slice of Borden 2% American cheese = 50 cals, 3g of fat.

As far as dinner, did you even consider portion sizes? One 4-inch pancake = serving. 1 slice of bacon = serving. 1 egg = serving.

I am not sitting down to a feast. I am sitting down to a semi-light supper. Which is all I need. Especially after a heavy lunch.

Sorry to doubt you but when you say pancakes, bacon, eggs, cheese, I'm not picturing a 4 inch pancake, one slice of bacon and one egg--that's a dinner? And that fills you up? That's barely a snack to me. I would eat that while cooking dinner lol! Seriously, different strokes....I have always had a problem with portion control and overeating. I have a hard time finding foods I like that are healthy and I can eat enough of to satisfy my hunger. It's getting better since I've been on this program (26 days) but we all agree it's mainly mental and a life change. It's a work in process!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

I am one of those people who has trouble eating any more than 1100 calories a day. I have a moderately active job and I burn at least 350 calories (often more) in cardio exercise daily. The reason I'm in this predicament, I think, is because I'm eating so many vegetables, and some fresh fruit. On a typical day, I eat 1.5 cups fresh vegetables, 2 cups of salad greens, another cup of steamed vegetables (at least), and often a snack of low-sodium V-8. I also try to get two medium pieces of fresh fruit. I fill in the rest of my daily food intake (lean protein, whole grains) around those basics. The vegetables really--I mean REALLY--fill me up with few calories. I often find myself at the end of the day having consumed under 1000 calories and having to eat something else just to get above 1000.

Good luck.

Don't be reluctant, I'm grateful for the inside perspective! So, why not have a piece of toast with peanutbutter in addition to all those veggies? If you're interested in staying within your goal calorie range and vegetables aren't cutting it?

Quite honestly, I'm following the eating plan in _The Mayo Clinic Diet_ book (published by the Mayo Clinic). They recommend at least four servings of fruit and two servings of vegetables per day, no sugar, whole grains only, etc. So, I start out with the recommendations for the veggies (and they dictate that, for most vegetables, a serving is 1 cup; for salad greens one serving = 2 cups), followed by the recommendations for the fruit. Beyond that, I'm just not hungry enough to add another slice of toast with peanut butter to my day. Truly, I am very full from all the veggies. And, I won't eat past a certain time in the evening.

I'm no expert, but that would seem to make for a somewhat strange ratio of protein/carbs/fat. Obviously, theories abound on what those ratios should be (high protein, low carb, low fat, high fat, whatever). But it would seem really hard to get a very good ratio with those restrictions. However, I guess I'm biased, as I'm a firm believer in everything in moderation and a very balanced diet.

Anyway, hope it's working for you. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I pretty much never eat all my calories.

When I'm stressed, I'm sick to my stomach.
    When I'm busy, i forget to eat.
    When I'm hungry, i eat sensibly.
    I'm also a vegetarian.

I try and get 1200 net a day. Sometimes i get closer to 800. Being stressful and busy with two children can do that to you. I could set my calories higher, but it's not like I'd be able to reach them anyway. I'm maintaining my weight roughly week to week, so i don't think there's Anything wrong with what I'm doing.

I don't have an eating disorder and resent the insinuation. Just because one poster did does not mean everyone that cant eat their goals has one....

Let's flip this around. How can anyone possibly go over their calories. They clearly must be overindulgent pigs...Hang on, let me dissect your food diary. Clearly you must be using it wrong...

Hmm offensive to anyone? I figured as much.
  • lexistepps
    lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    According to Tosca Reno- the author of the Eat Clean Books- you really do not have to count your calories if you are eating clean. Those are excellent books! I find it really hard to eat that striclty- although I know its the best thing for me!

I actually tried the Eat Clean Diet and GAINED weight...I was always stressed about what I was eating, when, maintaining the correct portion sizes, etc. Now I just try to avoid processed foods if I can and count my calories because THAT is what has always proven effective for me :)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I don't have an eating disorder and resent the insinuation. Just because one poster did does not mean everyone that cant eat their goals has one....

Let's flip this around. How can anyone possibly go over their calories. They clearly must be overindulgent pigs...Hang on, let me dissect your food diary. Clearly you must be using it wrong...

I actually agree with you.

The post that said something like" They are hungry but they won't eat and want others to tell them it's ok"... hmmm... bit of a generalisation me thinks... A bit like saying "They are stuffing their faces with junk, come here and moan about it and want others to tell them it's ok".
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the first poster. I'm vegan, eat at least five servings of veggies a day. But I live in a cold climate so I need heated food...a can of soup is 120-300 calories. My example day is typically

Oatmeal 150
    Soy capp 150

Soup. 300
    Salad or veggies 100

Snack: veggies, fruit, nuts anywhere from 50-300

Dinner: soup or pbj 300
    Salad 100

That, I feel is a really "clean" diet...and I'm up to 1200 without even thinking. No room for bad foods, unless you don't count the capp..most days I drink drip coffee to avoid the cals/sugar.
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I pretty much never eat all my calories.

When I'm stressed, I'm sick to my stomach.
    When I'm busy, i forget to eat.
    When I'm hungry, i eat sensibly.
    I'm also a vegetarian.

I try and get 1200 net a day. Sometimes i get closer to 800. Being stressful and busy with two children can do that to you. I could set my calories higher, but it's not like I'd be able to reach them anyway. I'm maintaining my weight roughly week to week, so i don't think there's Anything wrong with what I'm doing.

Who insinuated you had an eating disorder? I guess I missed the post that was questioning your eating habits--it wasn't me! I started this by posting how difficult it is to for me to change from eating 2,000-3,000 calories/day to 1,500 and that I neeeed the exercise calories so I can at least eat enough to keep my hunger at bay. I seem to eat every calorie I am allowed! As for going over calories, how could you ask that of any overweight person? That is clearly not a problem :smile:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    It isn't, they are lying, we support ya ;)

* Only exception, the very petite.

Exactly. I'm just under 5 feet tall...my maintenance cals are 1285...wow, a whole 85 whopping calories more than the recamended 'base ' amount. I'm trying to gain muscle so I'm eating around 1300 prior to excersize and 1/2 to all of my additional calories.
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The post that i found very offensive was on the first page. Of course i don't think that of anyone here, i was just using it as an example, flipping it around so you could see how offensive it is to be called sick over eating habits.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    People say they can't reach 1200 cals because in their mind if they reach that they are fat.
    That is how I felt not too long ago and still feel like that.

There is no way in hell anyone can not reach 1200. It's easy to reach 1200 even on fresh foods...etc!

A lot of people on here eat less than 1000 and they say they are just not hungry....it's all a lot of talk, they are hungry, they just won't eat. And they want the satisfaction of someone telling them it's okay.

I've been through it, and still struggling to reach 1200 most days because in my mind I'm scared Im eating too much when I know Im not.

This is interesting, thanks for sharing. I didn't think that there might be some hidden psychology behind it, I was just taking it at face value.

I agree this might be the case for some people, but I think there are others who struggle with eating the calories without these underlying phychological aspects. I have my daily calories set to 1300 and I work out every day. I'm constantly making a peanut butter and banana sandwich at night just to fill up the remaining calories I have leftover. Eating 1300 plus eating back the 500 every day is tough for me. I don't have any problem with eating over 1200 calories. In fact, sometimes I find it's necessary in order to break through a plateau.

I think my problem with reaching my caloric intake is because I drink a LOT of water (like 16 cups a day) and I also drink a lot of brewed green tea while I'm at work. Because of this, I don't snack at work and tend toward smaller lunches and breakfasts. When I get home I work out and that sort of staves off hunger too for some reason. But to answer your question, I think maybe some people are taking in a lot of fluids which curb the desire to eat, and when they check in, they realize they didn't distribute their calories very well throughout the day.
  • elenee
    elenee Posts: 5
    Options
    HI, I have trouble eating all my calories lots of days. My plan is to eat every 3 to 3.5 hours but with all my calories divided out. Breakfast is eggs with spinach (a lot) and or onions/mushrooms/peppers or salsa (no grain) and maybe a low glycemic fruit like berries or grapefruit (peel the whole thing leaving as much of the white on as possible for added nutrients) Sometimes I eat oatmeal for breakfast with protein powder or eggs.. Second meal is a HUGE salad with fish (I usually eat a can of sardines or part of a can of salmon) and maybe a little hummus or avacodo (no crackers). Third meal is a fruit (low glycemic) with some raw nuts and a protein shake made with Garden of Life Raw Protein Powder, spirulina and Vitamineral Green. Fouth meal (if I'm driving is half a cake of tempeh (fermented soybeans and brown rice) marinated in 2 tsp. tamari in a ziplock bag and a LOT of raw veg.
    As you see I'm eating over 20 grams of protein at each meal, which helps me keep building muscle or not loosing it while I'm loosing the fat, and NO simple carbs. When I work out hard, I have to eat additional calories so I add starchy carbs like sweet potatos, or lima beans or no fat (you have to read the ingred. list, the label lies) refried beans. This is simple, easy to fix and pretty much portable. It looks to me like you may be eating too many grains. They are the least nutrient dense of the food groups...many people do better with few grains. Consider that when the grain is ground and then reformed into another shape it is much more easily digested than the actual whole grain. Whole grains should be eaten whole (oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa etc for the lowest glycemic impact) I highly recommend subscribing to this newsletter http://www.whfoods.com/ Great ideas for simple and very healthy food prep
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options

I actually agree with you.

The post that said something like" They are hungry but they won't eat and want others to tell them it's ok"... hmmm... bit of a generalisation me thinks... A bit like saying "They are stuffing their faces with junk, come here and moan about it and want others to tell them it's ok".

Yes, that poster was definitely using her own experience as her guide. I see where you're coming from, I doubt EDs are to blame in every case.

But most of us are on here because we overdo/overdid it on the calories to begin with, so it's a bit of a head-scratcher that there are those who now have trouble eating the minumum. That's where the confusion arises I think. It's not quite the same as asking how someone could possibly go over their calories...most of us are here because it's way too easy for us to go overboard, elsewise we wouldn't be here, trying to lose or maintain.

I think that the change in food choices might play a role. If someone goes from eating 2,000 calories a day in fast food, it's about the same level of fullness as 1300 calories of fresh food. But, my cross to bear is I could plow through about 2,500 cals a day eating clean, esp if nuts are involved. I do love my nuts.
  • syl312
    syl312 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Good luck.

THIS IS EXACTLY TRUE!! IM A VEGETARIAN AND I CANT EAT MY 1200 CALS A DAY.. IM TRYING AND IM GOING TO TRY HARDER BY ADDING MORE FOODS IN MY DAY.. I EAT PRETTY MUCH ONLY VEGGIES, SPINACH, FRUIT, EGGS & LOTS OF BEANS !!
    (IM NOT YELLING BUT MY CAPS ONLY WORK RIGHT NOW) LOL..
    ITS NOT IN OUR HEAD OR SOME SORT OF GIMMICK ? YOU TRY TO EAT ONLY VEGGIES IN A DAY AND SEE IF YOU CAN EAT 1200 CALS A DAY ADN WORK OUT AND BURN 500 CALS OR MORE.. ITS DIFFICULT..
    (JUST MY THOUGHTS ) THANKS!
  • dkb228
    dkb228 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I only have an issue eating all my calories on days when I exercise more than my usual 30 min bike ride. When I add a long walk pushing the stroller or yoga to the mix, I then end up needing to make up a 700-100 calorie deficit. So while I usually manage to eat most of my calories including what I work off doing cardio, I am consistently 5-100 below my 1260 net. This is because (and I wonder if this if the reason why others find it hard to eat all their calories) because I'm not just watching my calories - I'm paying close attention to my saturated fat and sugar intake. It's difficult for me to eat 1300+ calories and not go over in those areas. What can I say, I love my milk and cheese. :) And I suppose I could fill up on empty calories just to match my net, but it seems counterproductive considering that's what got me into this overweight mess to begin with! Lol
  • dkb228
    dkb228 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is directed to all vegetarians -
    Have you tried quinoa? One of my best friends is vegetarian and eats quinoa (and quinoa pastas) to add calories/grain/protein to his diet. I've actually found that I really like it, too! Ancient Harvest makes a quinoa linguine (one 2 oz. serving is about 200 cal) that tastes like the real thing. And I love to use quinoa in a stir fry rather than just boring rice.