Is it possible to loose 20 pounds?

Options
I am 5'10", 154 pound female. I want to get down to around 135 (the lowest healthy weight i can go). How long do you think it would take to get to that weight? I can only do moderate exercising because of a heart condition, but will eat very clean. Thanks!

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    With 20 pounds to lose a healthy (and realistic) goal should be to lose 1/2 a pound a week. That would be approximately 40 weeks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Depending on how much body fat you have, you may not be able to go that low. Is there a reason or do you just want to say you are that low. If you want to be lean, then preserving muscle helps, so have a small deficit and lift.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think that would be pretty hard to lose 20lbs - But I would say getting to 140lbs should be your lowest not 135lbs!

Your at a good height & weight already.

Im 5 ft 9 and weigh around 148lbs - I realistically want to be around 140lbs - BUT it isn't easy.

If you don't have a lot to lose its pretty hard.

Your just going to have to take it really slow & see if your body wants to get down that low.... Sometimes you can get down, but cant maintain it.

Could you maintain your lifestyle at 135lbs??? I know I couldn't
  • dnos123
    Options
    A couple years ago I was 138 (before pregnancy). I was def thin, but no anorexic looking. Right now my thighs and arms are thicker than I want them to be. I guess a better goal weight would be 140 pounds. I'm just worried my body is not going to let me loose it.
  • curiouscreaturee
    curiouscreaturee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey, I like you and I feel like I can relate to you :)

I think that 135 is a perfectly healthy weight (When I used to eat like poop and moderately exercise I weighed 125-126 and I'm 5'11)
    So far I've logged onto my fitness pal for 17 and in those seventeen days I've lost about 4 pounds. So you could set you a goal of 1 pound per week and maybe you'll lose more!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A couple years ago I was 138 (before pregnancy). I was def thin, but no anorexic looking. Right now my thighs and arms are thicker than I want them to be. I guess a better goal weight would be 140 pounds. I'm just worried my body is not going to let me loose it.

Your body can lose, but like I mentioned, it depends what it can lose. Do you want to lose fat or fat/muscle/tissue/etc... Honestly, set a moderate deficit, get a food scale, eat adequate levels of protein and lift weights. Weight doesn't really determine a look or how lean a person is, their body composition does. So if you retain muscle, you will be more lean and the majority of your loss will be fat.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

It sounds like you might benefit from looking at this in terms of body composition goals instead of just weight loss goals. I'm guessing that the number on the scale isn't the only thing you care about? You might consider instead setting fitness goals or a goal based on body fat percentage instead of just the number on the scale.
  • mrsnaye
    Options
    Is it possible? Yes. Is it healthy for you? Be wise and talk to a doctor. You may hurt your body by going that low. I say that because I've seen a friend and a family member both cause permanent damage by forcing their body to go below where it was made to. Be careful. Health isn't a number.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and weigh 138-140. I'm happy with my appearance. I was lower for a while (down around 130 -- happened when I was ill) and really looked too skinny -- flat butt, boobs rattling around in my bra, jeans sagging badly, no curves left.

So, while I'm sure it could be done, I'm not sure you'll like the results.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do exercise to lose weight, but you will need to incorporate strength training for a recomposition.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and got down to 142. I looked in the mirror and still saw belly issues, not the athletic body My goal was. At that point I chose to build more muscle and put the scale away. 5 months later I am 151 and still fit in my size 5 jeans, and a few days ago I looked, and could see the beginning of the athletic body I have been wanting appear in the mirror.
  • meggwtw
    meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes, but what's the point? You're already at a lean, healthy weight. There's no reason to get to the bare minimum because of an outdated scale like BMI.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10", 154 pound female.
    Going by BMI you should be 130 - 170, so you're already right in the middle.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    I want to get down to around 135 (the lowest healthy weight i can go).
    Why?
    Right now my thighs and arms are thicker than I want them to be
    Have you considered doing weightlifting (even body weight workouts) to tone & slim, instead of focussing on weight?
    Check with your doctor to see if you can, and if losing weight at all (let alone to such a low level) is a good idea for you.
    How long do you think it would take to get to that weight?
    I can only do moderate exercising because of a heart condition, but will eat very clean.
    Because you're already at a healthy weight, it's going to take a long time. If you lose (not loose) 0.5 lb per week it would be big. Even every 2 weeks would be pretty fast.

And what exactly do you mean by the buzz word "clean"?
    It has so many different meanings, as many as the people who use it.
    Eating more whole foods and fewer processed foods is always a good idea.
    Removing any macronutrient or food group from your diet is not.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Having a diet relatively high in protein helps lose weight while maintaining lean mass.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553

O.M.G.
    I think that 135 is a perfectly healthy weight (When I used to eat like poop and moderately exercise I weighed 125-126 and I'm 5'11)
    So far I've logged onto my fitness pal for 17 and in those seventeen days I've lost about 4 pounds. So you could set you a goal of 1 pound per week and maybe you'll lose more!
    So you're 18, used to be severely underweight & think that being anorexic is just ducky?
    (A healthy weight for your height is 135 - 175.)
    And you don't pay attention to science.
    When someone is at a healthy weight, it's going to be hard to lose weight. It's going to be very slow.
    Probably what you've lost is water. Unless you've started out grossly obese (like in the range of 200 lb overweight) you can't lose 4 lb (your ticker says 7) so fast and be healthy about it, losing the right type/amount of tissue.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    *lose
  • donna1432
    donna1432 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    when you start to build muscle you will realize its not about the number on the scale. muscle burns fat remember that and food is fuel to burn calories. so be sure your eating enough, drink your water and do cardio and strength training but focus on how healthy you feel last year I was size 4 140 lbs this year im still size 4 150 lbs
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    you have to try this one!!!

<link removed>
    Nope.

Pay no attention, this is just spam