Been messing up straight for about 15 -20 days now

Options
For some reason or another I'm destroying all my hard work. For what? Practically every night I find myself having a bad sweet tooth snack and then getting up and getting second (usually larger) helpings. Arleen's organic ice cream single huge pieces of cake from the bakery, which I can now purchase at work and bring home to cause me all sorts of problems. I have absolutely no will power over it anymore. Does anyone else tell themselves...I'll just have one more bowl of ice cream because tomorrow I'm going to be back on track, or it can't really hurt everyone is telling me how tiny I am. So surely I can treat myself. And maybe people can do that, but I can't. And I seem to not learn the lesson and I don't want that to be once it's too late because I put my weight back on. So I'm telling myself I can't use anymore tomorrow's and I can't slip even if I have room to in my calories. I need to remind myself I'm originally and mostly doing this, to be healthy and around for me to spent time with my grands. Was also to show myself I could do it and stay in a healthy life style after. And yes I do want to catch the attention of a good friend. I have no idea what brought this on, other that I just started back to work at a very low job (which I'm not used too) after five years of not being able to work do to a severe anxiety and severe depressions. Won't go into it now, I'll just say I was devastated and lost out on being a family, I couldn't afford to live alone, which for a good part of the time I wouldn't of been able to function on my own. Lost contact with friends had to leave my favorite place I had ever lived. A place I thought would be home for all of us. Didn't happen. I had been doing so very well and it wasn't even hard except for the two week Plato. I'm washed out, want to figure away to stay on my deflect for the week even though I have been over so much. I feel like I should cut my calories a lot for this next week, so I can come out even. Anyway any suggestions on how to get back on track, and keep that motivation again...

Replies

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time. Don't try to eat less calories to make up for it, this may make you more likely to overeat later. Just go back to your normal deficit and try to go one day without going over. Maybe there are some things you can do to prevent this happening? If you find you have better control during the day, maybe you can make sure you don't have these foods around at night so you won't be so tempted. Maybe you can leave some calories leftover at the end of the day for a sweet snack that will still fit into your goal. If you can have a treat that doesn't set you over the limit, maybe you will be less likely to say '*kitten* it' and ruin the deficit?

Are there some lower-calorie things that might satisfy your sweet tooth? I usually go for an apple or a couple of dried dates, or I make a bowl of sugar-free jelly (26 calories) and have it ready in the fridge for when I get the cravings :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    how about pre-logging your big bowl of ice cream every day? then work your rest of the days calories around that.
  • bongobongobongo
    bongobongobongo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it will help, but when I lose control and get in a rut, I aim to get under my TDEE, and not worry too much about a large deficit. It stops progress being undone, and can help your mental reserves. Keep yourself accountable, and keep track of what your eating, so you can try and make a little bit more progress every day. Maybe hit your TDEE and knock off 100 calories every day, until you have your required deficit again?

My cheat days are always TDEE days really.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I would say for you to stop this and progress with your weight loss......

You need to get rid of the rubbish food in your house. Or don't bring that stuff into your house.

Its only going to tempt you anyway?? Then your be upset with yourself for eating it.

Its like putting a chocoholic in a chocolate shop and telling them not to eat anything???

You can do it!!!!
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the stress of new job is getting to you, and have gone back to the one thing that makes you feel good.... sweet foods.

The best thing to do is, keep logging everything as best you can, then atleast you have a record of what your doing, so there is no denial over time.

Then once your used to your new job, and have got over your sweet snacking, you will see just what ya need to do to get back to your good ways.

We all get spells where we have a blip, but stick with it, and am sure you'll be right back into your good ways.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    how about pre-logging your big bowl of ice cream every day? then work your rest of the days calories around that.

+1
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You need to reevaluate SOMETHING in your life, because this seems to be a pattern for you. Is it emotional eating? Are you restricting too severely?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm no psych but sounds like you're eating your anger at the negative things that have happened to you lately!
    Get your anger out by working out or going for a cleansing long walk.
    Also, make sure you're eating enough all day long so you won't have as much room for the nightly sweet binge.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options

^^^ Love this!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    What helped me to stop doing this to myself was realizing that like is all about choices. I choose the path I walk. Good or bad, I then have to live with the consequences.

It sounds simple - and it is not. But it does get easier. Log in your snack in the morning. Work around it for your meals. If eating it is that important to you - make it fit.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Replace all the sweets with protein. Eat bacon, sausages, roast beef, eggs anything that doesn't have sugar and eat as much as you want to get full. I have the same relationship withy Sugar. It's hard for me to do even a little. Because before I know it a little becomes allot. So what works for me is to overeat protein. I don't worry about calories until my sugar cravings are back under control (takes about 3 to 5 days). Once the cravings are gone then I go back to my normal diet but without any high glycemic foods (no pasta, no rice, no bread, nothing sweet). This is what I've found works for me.

Good Luck!
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, I know I'll return to it often as a reminder
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling by the way? I remember you from some threads you posted a month ago.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Stop it, you've worked to hard to go back.
  • Adpalangi
    Options
    I think I this very much emotional eating. The divorce is far behind me now, the drs said I could go back to work part time. I got only 14 hrs the second week and 7 hours from this week. My alimony ended over a month ago, and yes I am struggeling, have been since the day we separated. See he was my HS sweetheart and after 28 years out of the blue he tells me he's leaving. I couldn't afford the house at all, and an apartment was really stretching it. Have spent the last several years between sc, fl twice, va twice and md. I loved my friends there but during the severe depression I just excluded myself from the fun. Had come from an admin assistant background was unable to work for several years. Was excited to go back last couple months, but found even using my lap top, I had lost all my computer skills. Went to work as a florist at 7.50 an hour, kinda ridiculous pay, I had not worked that min wage since I was in HS. So stressed, yeah I'd say yeah. I'm not sure that is causing me to eat sugarie things, but as soon as I get rid of them again, I'll be able to see how they work as added in. Sorry to rant. I've just noticed (not you) but some people act as holly as now on this sight. The sarcasimn can really hurt someone with certain illnesses cuts a lot different than you could ever know. Why would you be so sarcastic to people trying to turn there lives around. Sorry but not everybody is going to use your advice - so stop taking it out on people you don't even know, I'd guess you've never walked in their shoes, and I'm sure you haven't walked in mine. Maybe you try kind and helpful instead of sarcastic and rude. Just say'n
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What works for me is not bringing junk food into my house. I still eat junk food, but I'm more aware of my portions if I have to go out and buy it and that way I have time to plan it into my day and work around it. Yesterday I CRAVED/WANTED/NEEDED Chick fil a AND ice cream..so I tracked them both and ate lighter during the day...I was only over 15 calories and I'll take that instead of me obsessing over it and eating it anyways.

Divorce is hard and its especially hard to deal with such a change and have financial issues. I wish you the best with that. Is it possible to move in with friends/family for a few months while you get on your feet?
  • Adpalangi
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, you and the others are right about preloading MFP, I know because that's how I used to do it before these last weeks, and I was able to stay mostly in close numbers to my goal.

Thank you for the personal advice....divorce is hard on the whole family, even my children who had already left home, had a very hard time. I wasn't in very good shape, so I think i was a small part of them learning to live with it but they never stopped. I couldn't even go over the many things that changed in my life and suddenly even the small things meant just as much. Btw, the many I married decided he wanted to move on to the next chapter of his life. It had seemed that we were doing that together, however I was wrong, he didn't see me as included. And even so at 28 years, I would think one would make an effort to work on things. He didn't want to, and strangly enough the divorce happened the day after what would of been our 29 anniversary, and just two weeks later he was remarried. I have been learning to live with it but I will never be the same again.