tall girls and leg press

Options
2»

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are starting with your knees bent further which means you have to press farther and engage more muscles. Don't worry about the number, you're getting the better workout!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Secondly, why are you even doing (or worrying about) leg press at all - pointless exercise.

1. Let's not get carried away
    2. She didn't say she wasn't squatting

She PM'd me privately and insisted that squats were THA DEVIL.

Momma says so.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Secondly, why are you even doing (or worrying about) leg press at all - pointless exercise.

1. Let's not get carried away
    2. She didn't say she wasn't squatting

Stop the crazy talk Rock. Everyone on MFP knows that squats, deadlifts, and pendlay rows are the only legitimate exercises.

You forgot bench and curls.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Of course it will be a bit harder for you due to leverage differences but it's not exactly night and day. Push with your heels.

I'm 6'2" and I can tell you that the range of motion for taller people is quite a bit different than someone that's 5'2". Yes it does make the same weight a bit harder to handle. Don't worry about how much weight others can do. Just keep challenging yourself.

Noticed the OP deactivated their account. I guess this was all too much information too handle.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10, and I used to leg press well over 700 lbs. Height has little to do with your ability to do an exercise. It's all about strength/flexibility.

wha... im really actually in love with you right now, i didnt even see your post til I hit my reply.

Holy cow...what yoovie said!!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Of course it will be a bit harder for you due to leverage differences but it's not exactly night and day. Push with your heels.

I'm 6'2" and I can tell you that the range of motion for taller people is quite a bit different than someone that's 5'2". Yes it does make the same weight a bit harder to handle. Don't worry about how much weight others can do. Just keep challenging yourself.

Noticed the OP deactivated their account. I guess this was all too much information too handle.

actually...it isn't a piece of cake at 5'2" either. The seat on the leg press at my gym is not adjustable. I have to start my press with my toes and kind of walk up the plate. On my last rep, I have to go on my tip toes to rack it back up.

the starting resistance is 118 pounds...I have been doing it for a few months and I am up at 238 right now.
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and I leg pressed 600lbs but only once.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I did a set of 5 at 750 but I made sure I was in a safe starting position.

I find that having ridiculously long legs gives me an advantage. Its simple machines, levers, etc. I have so much more leverage to ease that push and follow through.

My long legs are a lethal advantage.

*blows them kisses*
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I find that having ridiculously long legs gives me an advantage. Its simple machines, levers, etc. I have so much more leverage to ease that push and follow through.

It's an advantage on leg extensions/curls but your knees have to travel further forward on squats and leg press. This puts more stress on the knees and can cause you to put more weight on the toes. A wider stance helps but doesn't totally eliminate the issue. Raising your heel off the ground helps quite a bit as well since you're going to be pushing the limit of how far your ankle can bend if you have a longer femur.

See this interactive page:
    http://www.athleticdesign.se/athletics/squat_article_1_english_page3.html#application2
  • brtrentgl
    Options
    I did a set of 5 at 750 but I made sure I was in a safe starting position.

My long legs are a lethal advantage.

*blows them kisses*
    wow that's great, I lifted 780 lbs once and couldn't do it again.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    For the OP, you didn't define what a tall girl is, but don't kid yourself, you aren't so tall that you can't use the machine properly. For many people, both on squats and legs presses, lack of flexibility keep them from properly doing full reps. Try to work on both your hamstring and hip flexibility. Then find the right seat setting for your body. I prefer the seat low, but I've worked with people the same height as me that prefer it higher. Experiment.

Agree.

I'm 5'8" with proportionally long legs, and flexibility is my issue with squatting and leg-pressing also.

Great advice here.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    No, I'm fairly tall and have never had an issue.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone hating on the leg press so hard? It was a vital piece of equipment for my leg development, both for strength and for size.

For the OP, you didn't define what a tall girl is, but don't kid yourself, you aren't so tall that you can't use the machine properly. For many people, both on squats and legs presses, lack of flexibility keep them from properly doing full reps. Try to work on both your hamstring and hip flexibility. Then find the right seat setting for your body. I prefer the seat low, but I've worked with people the same height as me that prefer it higher. Experiment.

Lastly, just do it. Do whatever you can do and don't worry about what others can do. Put as much weight on there as you can, and try to increase it each other week. Ultimately, it doesn't matter matter one whit to me what you can lift today. Let's talk about what you're gonna lift next week. And the week after that. And next month. Come next summer, the short chick is gonna ask how come its easier to for tall girls to leg press

I'm really glad to read this comment. I've been doing both leg press and squats and always wonder if I'm wasting my time with the leg press after all I've read online about it. I've kept doing it anyway because it makes me sore in all the right places.
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I can do 140 on the seated bench press and im 5'11". it is just hard to get started cause i am not that flexible.
  • typicallystrange
    Options
    i'm 5'8 and do 700lbs on the leg press, never had any trouble
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I can do 250 pretty easily, and I'm 6'4", but I have really strong, big legs naturally (wish they were leaner haha). But I had to work up to it. Our range of motion is a lot longer....so maybe it makes it more difficult (I have never experienced a workout from a short perspective so I dunno). Lastly, don't listen to anyone that says leg press is pointless...squats are amazing but leg press definitely has it's place in a well rounded routine. Especially for someone like me who's had two knee surgeries. I find myself hating squats like the devil because they hurt! Keep pushing, you WILL get stronger!
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    No, I'm fairly tall and have never had an issue.

I really agree with you that tall girls are not having a problem for doing a leg press. There are many tall girls in gym I saw doing leg press without any issue.