Does there come a point where weight is not the issue

Options
OK last week I posted a topic expressing the issues I have been having psychologically with my weight loss in that I do not see the person that others see when i look in the mirror. I think i just compounded the issue. Today I jumped on the scale just to see what I weigh, and i have not weighed myself in awhile. Why did the scale say that I gained 10 pounds? Here is the problem, I have put on clothes smaller than i have in years. Today I tried on a shirt size L, When I started I was in a 4x comfortably, 3x was snug. I felt great and noow to see I put 10 pounds on just ticked me off. Is this common when you are excercising a good deal to stop losing weight and just lose inches. i wanted to get to 200 pounds but I really do not feel like i should get much thinner based on my size. I do not want to be skinny, but 230 just seems like a lot when I am in a 34 waist jean and a large shirt. It is just confusing the heck out of me.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I think how you feel and how your clothes fit is a much better indicator of success than your scale.

Unless you're weighing yourself regularly, at the same time of day, you really can't say "I gained 10 pounds". My weight fluctuates based on a million different things that aren't actual pounds gained. It's the overall trend that matters, not a one off scale reading.

If your clothes are fitting better and you're losing inches, keep on keeping on.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You just described what goes on in my head everyday :noway:

I am at the smallest clothing and measurement wise I have ever been as an adult but I just cannot see a size 4 going on a size 2 in the mirror, being 149 pounds and 5'2"

I think we have to work on deciding what we want, numbers vs. health - but I also think this takes time.
  • ajax6677
    ajax6677 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Body dysmorphia is real issue for a lot of people. There is a fundamental break between what is there and what you see.

This is something I struggle with as well and my own self reflection has led me to realize that I don't value or truly love myself. I could lose all 80lbs and it still wouldn't be good enough. There is always something to fix. But the only way to ever fix that is by readjusting my self view to love myself at any stage of my weight loss journey. The negativity needs to be recalibrated.

In relation to you, your focus should not be 10lbs of weight gain, it should be how you feel in your clothes, how you feel in your body now, the amazing things it can do now that it is closer to health. Appreciate the breaths you take, the body you are so fleetingly allowed to inhabit, every miracle that each day is. Take that 10lb weight gain and realize that muscles weigh more than fat and your better fitting clothes are proof positive that muscles are being made.

Unfortunately not a damn thing I said above is easy or I would already be there. But just changing the way you think about one little thing everyday may lead you to readjusting your big picture and really appreciating all the hard work you've done to achieve something that so few people can do.

TL:DR Learn to love yourself.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for almost a year now, and people have been calling me "tiny", etc., for more than that, but I still have the same problem as you on occasion. After years of seeing a fat girl in the mirror it can be a head game, for sure. I weigh a good 20+ pounds more than what people think I do.

Are you doing any kind of resistance training? Having more lean body mass will make the number on the scale appear bigger. Have you had your body fat percent tested or taken progress pictures and done measurements for comparison? That may be a good way for you to go instead of getting hung up on a number.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    hmmm ... it all depends on a few things ...

Do you have a set time that you weigh yourself? Are you changing your exercise routine lifting (ie. from cardio to lifting)?

I think as the previous poster mentioned, to truly record progress as accurately as possible, the measuring process has to be as consistent as possible. Otherwise, mixed results shouldn't be surprising.

The human body is about 60% water so a couple glasses of water can make a noticeable difference. If you have been weighing-in first thing in the morning on an empty stomach & bladder then all of a sudden you weigh yourself in the middle of the day after lunch, then yes - expect a different number on the scale. It doesn't necessarily mean you have gained weight it just means you're heavier after you eat which is 100% normal.

The other thing that you may want to take into consideration is that if you are lifting to build muscles, then you will most definitely see a weight gain while still seeing inches continue to decrease. (The whole muscle weighs more than fat thing).

But overall, if you are fitting into clothes that use to squeeze you like a sausage (I had a sausage t shirt drawer) then the progress should be fairly evident. Perhaps you have arrived at a point in your weight loss journey where you should be more focused on how your clothes fit and how you are feeling overall rather than looking for a specific number on the scale that dictate your success or lack there of.
  • ajax6677
    ajax6677 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weird coincidence: I just watched the movie Hungry for Change on Netflix. The last 10 minutes deal with everything I just said above. They all said the number one lifestyle change they made was learning to love themselves. Check it out!
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    How your clothes fit is primary. If you are working out you could have gained muscle. Have your BMI and body fat checked. That will tell you the true story
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Chances are… while you will be the first to recognize clothes fitting looser and how you feel generally… you will be the last person that will be able to actually see the change in yourself physically… especially just by looking in the mirror. We see ourselves constantly and the change is so gradual. That's normal.

Weight will fluctuate due to many different factors. If your clothes are fitting better and you are feeling better… take that to be more a measure of success than the scale.

And finally… health is not determined by a number on the scale. This is your body and your life. You get to decide when you have reached the point where you feel comfortable and are ready to move into maintenance. Even BMI isn't a great tool because it doesn't take into account frame size or muscle to fat ratio. It's okay if you decide to move into maintenance before you hit that weight you originally set as your goal.
  • jlgobert
    jlgobert Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    really great suggestions!! I dont weigh at the same time, i have weighed in the morning, today i weighed at 4 in the evening. And while I have not been lifting, I have been doing more work with dumbells, and general stuff like push ups etc, that I did not do before. I was only jogging for a very long time and added the extra becasue jogging was starting to fel less exercise and more relaxation and mediation time. I will rey to be more diligent in my measurements to keep better track and only weigh at teh same time.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Body dysmorphia IS real. I'm a ones and zeros kind of girl, (computer geek by trade) so I choose to look at it scientifically. MY perception is skewed right now. Maybe it will eventually unskew its self, maybe not, but I can't really be trusted with my "feelings" about my body is so I choose to follow the BMI chart. BMI is a good measure for most people, (unless you are an exceptionally fit male body builder with extraordinary muscle mass, that is), so I figure I can use it as a guage for myself. My original goal was to get into the healthy BMI range. I've been hanging out in maintenance to the right of center in the healthy zone (23.2) for about 3 months now. I recently decided to go for the last 10 "vanity pounds" to put me smack in the middle of "healthy" where I'd like to stay.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult yes...I know i have lost 60lbs...I know my size is a 4....I know I weigh less than I did pre baby...

I know all these things...but when I hold up a size 4 jean in a store my first thought is...yah no way is this gonna fit me...or a small shirt....

My first GW was 165...because that was the lowest I had ever gotten since my son was born *cough 20 years ago cough* and I figured that was it...I got there and kept losing and getting smaller so set another 10lbs down....

As soon as I got there I was like yah I am done...no way can I weigh less...well here I am 7lbs lighter than that...

Logic vs Emotions....let logic win this time....let the numbers (all of them measurments, scale weight, clothing size, BF%) tell the story logically...emotions will catch up eventually...
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I use the scale daily to see where I am but don't obsess over the number. My beer gut is what I wanted to lose so I focus on my belly as the ultimate indicator of my maintenance.
  • sismyn13
    sismyn13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started Boot Camp a month ago and have not lost a pound. Actually gained 5 pounds. However, I am in a size smaller clothes. I researched and it appears our muscles retain lots of water to keep hydrated to heal from all the exercise. I am praying that I will see the scale go down one day. I know it should not matter what the scale says but it is the only tool I have to prove I am doing what I am supposed to do.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Yes, eventually it will get to the point (hopefully) that your successes aren't measured by a number on the scale. It took some time for me to get there, but I'll tell you, it's a great thing when it does happen! I now measure success by my overall feeling of health and fitness, and my clothes. Now when I sprint a little faster, that's a goal.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I feel like this all the time.. I still feel the same and can't accept sometimes what the mirror says. I'm the lowest weight I have been in my adult life but still look for my old sizing or think lower sizes wont fit.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for almost a year now, and people have been calling me "tiny", etc., for more than that, but I still have the same problem as you on occasion. After years of seeing a fat girl in the mirror it can be a head game, for sure. I weigh a good 20+ pounds more than what people think I do.

I hear ya. My focus now is less of the scales and more of how i feel and my clothes fit. I want to put around 7lbs on as i'm at the low end of my healthy range, but i don't want to put it on by eating cakes etc. I want to eat more protein, "good" fats etc.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have been at or under my goal since April 2013 and I weigh myself at least 3 times/week. I'm 5'8" and in the past have been able to gain at least 10 pounds and not see it in my clothes. For me, I need the accountability of both tracking my food and weighing. Have gotten into exercise and that is a regular part of my days and I've completely changed the way I eat and honestly prefer the healthier foods - most of the time. For me, weight will always be something I have to focus on.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your accomplishments.

If I wanted to, I could still allow the mirror reflection convince me that my body hasn't changed at all regardless of what the number on the scale says. Thankfully, I am no longer in a place where I define myself by what I see in the mirror hanging on the wall. Instead, I go by the internal mirror and by how my clothes fit. Once your perception and your mind are in synch with each other, you'll know where you need to be [which is different than where you want to be] and know when to just be healthy rather than being on a weightloss journey.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    http://www.meh.ro/2011/12/30/muscle-vs-fat/

Great pic of muscle vs fat (same weight). Ditch the scale it's liberating. Clothing doesn't lie. Besides, the scale just weighs stuff, doesn't account for distribution and lean mass. I have a friend who is 5 ft 2 inches and weighs 140. She is pretty much muscle with a little necessary body fat. Looking at her you'd guess closer to 110. I'm wearing size 10 pants and weigh 175.....the number is nothing without knowing if you are made up of more fat or muscle. Simplifying it for sure, but the scales can be evil and rule your life if you let them.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    For me, 4 pm is when I am about my heaviest during the day. I know because I weigh myself every morning, and before long workouts (to monitor hydration – by "long" I mean 2 hours or more on the bike). I can easily weigh 3-4 pounds more in the late afternoon than I did when I woke up, though 1-2 is more common.

I'd advise focusing more on how your clothes fit, how you feel, and whether your body composition is the way you like it. Weight is a crude metric, but we use it because it's very easy to measure. Once you're close to maintenance, the other factors are more important. My ticker says I still have a few pounds to goal, but at the moment I'm focused more on body composition and might do a bulk and cut over the winter.