Washington Redskins

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/sports/fcc-mulls-banning-redskins-name/ar-BB6C7vq

Just reading the controversey over Washington Redskins and how racist the name is. Found the following excerpt funny.

"The FCC chief said he personally finds the term offensive and urged the team to change the name. But he didn't say whether he thinks it is illegal."

Isn't calling the Head of the FCC Chief racist?

Replies

• Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I think the real controversy is how bad they suck now.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I live in Washington and my high school mascot was the redskins until a couple months ago. Even though the alumni and existing students were against changing the name and there had been NO complaints by the tribes in the area the school board pushed it through and my school is now the Redhawks. Its like a slap in the face to all past students. Just my two cents.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/sports/fcc-mulls-banning-redskins-name/ar-BB6C7vq

Just reading the controversey over Washington Redskins and how racist the name is. Found the following excerpt funny.

"The FCC chief said he personally finds the term offensive and urged the team to change the name. But he didn't say whether he thinks it is illegal."

Isn't calling the Head of the FCC Chief racist?

Now THAT is funny! :laugh:
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I live in Washington and my high school mascot was the redskins until a couple months ago. Even though the alumni and existing students were against changing the name and there had been NO complaints by the tribes in the area the school board pushed it through and my school is now the Redhawks. Its like a slap in the face to all past students. Just my two cents.

How is that a slap in the face?
  • Haltermania
    Haltermania Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Another way for the government to control us and dictate what we can watch or listen. As a Redskins fan, I believe this country has way more important issues to be worrying about then the name of a NFL team. Meanings change over time just like how the "N" word is used nowadays. You can watch shows that say that word but god forbide the Redskins name makes me lose sleep, income, etc. The only people that have a right to complain about this matter is the Native Americans, if they dont see a problem with it which polls have shown they dont then leave it alone. Stop throwing bull**** down peoples throats, 15 years ago this was never a issue until liberal media wants to find ways to make their own mark. Worry about fixing this country, pulling us out of debt, ending the wars, fixing education

just my 2 cents
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    200px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png
  • davemacdonald1
    davemacdonald1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    They can keep the name, just change the logo.
    How do you feel cheering the Redskins if they had a potato on their helmet. Redskin Russet Potato.
  • JT_Taylor99
    Options
    Regardless of how I view it, the owner of a franchise has the absolute right to name it whatever he wants. And that goes double when said owner is the tenured owner in the League. The liberal media makes me want to puke!
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Another way for the government to control us and dictate what we can watch or listen. As a Redskins fan, I believe this country has way more important issues to be worrying about then the name of a NFL team. Meanings change over time just like how the "N" word is used nowadays. You can watch shows that say that word but god forbide the Redskins name makes me lose sleep, income, etc. The only people that have a right to complain about this matter is the Native Americans, if they dont see a problem with it which polls have shown they dont then leave it alone. Stop throwing bull**** down peoples throats, 15 years ago this was never a issue until liberal media wants to find ways to make their own mark. Worry about fixing this country, pulling us out of debt, ending the wars, fixing education

just my 2 cents

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/189afv/the-redskins--name---catching-racism
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The word Redskin is a terrible legacy for the members of many tribes. For others, not. Frankly, I would be happy not to see ANY Indian mascots.

Just sayin'...
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    200px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png

Don't you bring my Indians into this!

Although there have been intermittant rumblings of having to change the name over the years :grumble:
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The word Redskin is a terrible legacy for the members of many tribes. For others, not. Frankly, I would be happy not to see ANY Indian mascots.

Just sayin'...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I can understand the trademark issue but the FCC banning it is a bit much if you ask me. I've never understood how cable television can air so much violence and sexual violence (I seem to recall an episode of L&O:SVU starting with a dead guy, naked, under the dining room table, handcuffed, with a banana up... well, you get the picture), but tasteful nudity and the F bomb are taboo. It's pretty easy to flip through the channels and find a corpse (or a zombie), but now the Redskins are banned? I just don't get it. None of it is particularly offensive to me, but I don't see how people can be fine with some of those things and yet so offended by curse words.
    Worry about fixing this country, pulling us out of debt, ending the wars, fixing education

That would require hard work and sacrifice. Not happening any time soon.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything everyone says or does these days is offensive. Good luck!

Thank God our Constitution doesn't give someone the right to not be offended.
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Just sayin'...

Wouldn't that be nice...?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    while we're on the subject of things indian related, I think honoring bastages such as the Oklahoma Sooners is offensive...
  • lazydanthaman
    lazydanthaman Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    southpark.jpg

I love South Park... That is all
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything everyone says or does these days is offensive. Good luck!

Thank God our Constitution doesn't give someone the right to not be offended.

Yep!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Team names like Warriors, Chiefs, Braves, et cetera, celebrate the nobility of the Native Americans. The name Redskins was derogatory from its inception, no different from calling a Mexican person a wetback, or a Jewish person a kike. Imagine if a team tried to call itself one of those names?