Weight Lifters! I need your help

Naomi91
Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello All,

So I have been lifting for a while, 2-3 times a week depending on my schedule. When I lift, I go hard. I want to get stronger and build more muscle. I work up quite a sweat i might add.

I recently got a HRM though. And for 90 minutes of lifting (including a 5 min jog before and after) my HRM says that i burn 500-600 calories. Could this be true? I mean thats quite a bit of calories for just lifting. As I have heard many people say you dont burn all that much lifting.

How much do you all burn while lifting?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Just as a data point... I used my HRM for the first time while weight lifting yesterday. It came up with 322. Prior to yesterday I was using this calculator to estimate it: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc, and that comes up with 283. I'm curious to hear the responses.

I'm so tempted to get one of those BodyBugg or BodyMedia gadgets which are supposedly super accurate for measuring calories burned. I just hate that they require a monthly subscription.
  • Naomi91
    have a pink polar one with a chest strap, so i would assume it to be quite accurate

oh and note:
    I take oxyelite pro, so it raises my heart rate anyway
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    I usually burn 700 to 800 calories an hour when weight lifting (usually about 450 for an ab workout). I'm a 230 pound man and I lift heavy weights with short rest periods between sets. You can burn a lot more calories than most people think by lifting weights. The reason most people might not burn a lot of calories compared to cardio is the fact that they rest too long between sets or use that time to chat with friends, etc. Weight lifting also elevates your metabolism for up to 39 hours after a workout for an added bonus.
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Not true, unfortunately. :frown: HRMs don't work very well for weight lifting, because your heart rate spikes as you lift, then drops back down right away. HRMs are made to work for cardio, where an elevated heart rate is an indicator of more steady activity. Bummer. You do burn, just not that much. I think bodybuilding.com has a calculator?
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Not true, unfortunately. :frown:

In reference to the HRM number, not the other posts!!!!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Here's some info on the topic from another source: http://sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    mine said 500 for an hours lifting tonight - surely if your heart rate is raised you'll be burning fat and calories though - even if its not raised lots like running :)
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    If you are serious about using weight lifting to tone and help your fitness levels (for both health and looks) then I would suggest investing in a calorie monitor like BodyBugg or Body Media.

To give you and idea, I burn about 700 calories weight lifting in 2 hours... and I lift *hard* and minimize my rest periods. I weigh 156 and I have 18.1% body fat.

BTW - there is a great topic under this folder entitled "Calling All Women Lifters" if you are interested. Some good advice and sharing of ideas there.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    have a pink polar one with a chest strap, so i would assume it to be quite accurate

oh and note:
    I take oxyelite pro, so it raises my heart rate anyway

The Oxyelite may be raising your heart rate. Also, lifting that long seems excessive to me.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I don't do straight lifting like people do in a gym, but I am currently doing P90X. I have been burning around 450-550 per circuit training workout. I do believe these numbers are accurate, or at least close to it, because I have adjusted my MFP nutritional goals to lose about 1 pound per week...and I have lost 3 pounds in the last 3 weeks. :flowerforyou:
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    I've spoke with the certified trainer at my gym about this before. Comparing what you burned to what the trainer said, I think that it is entirely possible that you did in fact burn that much. Honestly, it doesn't seem that high to me, rather sounds more average per a hard workout.

Another thing to remember is that you continue to burn calories throughout the day after you lift. As your muscles repair after being torn apart absolutely burns more calories during the day.

As for this site, I type in "400 calories" burned for my 50 minute workout. I would guess that's low, as I probably burn much more than that. I just don't want to over-estimate my workouts as some days are different than others.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Not true, unfortunately. :frown: HRMs don't work very well for weight lifting, because your heart rate spikes as you lift, then drops back down right away. HRMs are made to work for cardio, where an elevated heart rate is an indicator of more steady activity. Bummer. You do burn, just not that much. I think bodybuilding.com has a calculator?

agreed. Best to be conservative really.
  • Naomi91
    I rarely eat all my exercise calories anyway, so I am on the safe side :] what would you, guys that dont think i should trust my HRM, think that I would actually burn? Like I said I usually get a mile run in there anyway haha so I understand
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    I just leave it at what it recommends for strength training. That is pretty conservative IMO>
  • Naomi91
    Oooh i see, Like i said I rarely eat them back, so i have no problem haha

was quite curious, since that would mean that i burned 1088 calories today with my morning run
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    I just leave it at what it recommends for strength training. That is pretty conservative IMO>

Yes, completely agree in terms of being conservative.

Like I said, if you're lifting hard, then you are burning a ton of calories (don't rest for very long in between sets - exhaust your muscles!). But...I underestimate mine as well once I put the number into this site.

It's also important to keep in mind that everyone's body and mind is unique and we all work in different ways. This can surely cause different outcomes in terms of calories burned.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    As an aside, you won't see much muscle growth/strength increase on a low calorie diet. Not to say there will be none, but it will be limited.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    As an aside, you won't see much muscle growth/strength increase on a low calorie diet. Not to say there will be none, but it will be limited.

I think this is true of a "low calorie" diet... but not a calorie deficit diet.

I regularly run a 300-500 calorie deficit and still put on 5lbs of muscle since January 1st. In case others were curious how I know this, I have a body fat monitor that shows my BF running a little lower (18.7 to 18.1) and my weight is 5 lbs higher.

The key is to make sure that you get enough protein (and the type of protein) as well as enough base line calories. I usually consume over 2000 calories a day - but still hold a deficit.

The other key to muscle growth is in the type of exercises you do... everything from you set numbers to your weight loads, rest period and even your rep type (full range, partial or x-rep).
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    I use the exercise calculator at fitclick.com and I've steadily lost weight even though I eat back most of my exercise calories. I find it to be a lot more accurate (for myself, anyways) than MFP's exercise calculator for strength training. According to MFP, I would only burn about 50 more calories for a tough lower body workout than I would for housecleaning (light/moderate effort) for an hour.
This discussion has been closed.