Defeated!!

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    1. Just keep at it. You will improve with time.
    2. Like everyone else said, don't compare yourself with others.
  • StevenH74
    StevenH74 Posts: 129
    Options
    Defeated? Who defeated you?
    No-one.
    You do what you do, you achieve what you achieve, not what somebody else achieves.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    That's a great time! Don't compare yourself to other people. Those 10 min mile people you see online might be longtime runners; or, they might be people who went all out for that run and wouldn't be able to sustain that pace over the course of a longer run.

It's not about what you do one day, it's about consistency and improving over time. Anybody can do something once - it's being able to deliver every time that matters.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Defeated; only if you believe you are.
  • StevenH74
    StevenH74 Posts: 129
    Options
    What is defeat? Nothing but education; Nothing but the first step to something better."
    Bruce Lee
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Agree, only compare yourself to yourself. You aren't competing with anyone else.

BTW, where did you see most people walk 2 miles in under 20? I don't belive this. 1 mile yes.

I am a fast walker naturally and walk at a good clip with my dog every day for 30 minutes. We do 2 miles in that time. That is a 3.5 mph pace which is considered brisk. 4 mph (very brisk) is basicially speed walking and not something I see anyone doing in my neighborhood anyway. Physically possible? Yes I suppose, but not the norm for anyone I know.
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I can easily walk 5k, as I do I almost daily. And since a back injury, I have a lot of difficulty running so do not want to run 5k, I just want to walk as fast as I can as it doesn't put as much pain on my back. I am trying to increase my speed and do shorter distances. I would love to be able to do 2 miles within half hour. That is my newest goal.
    Thank you everyone for the positive encouragement. It does mean a lot!! Here is to tomorrow's workout.

that is a great goal, you will make it, and be proud of what you can do, there are many slim people that can't run any distance. so what you are doing you are amazing at it.. keep it up!
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I was so proud of myself, I did 2 miles in 34 minutes. Until I looked online and saw how most people do two miles in under 20!!!!! I've been at this for over a month! To keep at that speed, I am doing a very fast walk for me. I am 306 lbs. Any tips?

You should be proud of yourself!!!

Anyone who runs road races does it to beat their last time record (personal best). Anytime you see improvement on your time, it's a win!

I took me over a year to be and to JOG 3.2 miles. I started with walking the whole distance, then I would add in doing it in intervals...jogging for 30 seconds and walking...then I would do 1 minute and then walk.... on and on until I could jog the whole time. I know there are plenty of folks out there that could do that sooner and faster then I did, but you know what?! I am so dang proud to be able to do what I couldn't do last year!!

Don't be so concerned about what other people can do - you do you. And keep on moving, that's all that matters!

In those 2 miles you did - you lapped everyone that was still on their couches!!
  • bkd114
    bkd114 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't judge yourself by what others can do. In high school I ran cross country even though I was twice the size of the other girls. I was last in every race, but every race got faster for me. As long as you are improving, you're doing great!

Try doing intervals (where you do 2 minutes pushing yourself, whatever speed that may be; and then 1 minute slightly slower to recover, repeat this 6-8 times), that way you are teaching your body to go a little bit faster without trying to do it for 2 miles straight.

Great job!!!!
  • anomar6
    anomar6 Posts: 12
    Options
    My tips:

Keep up the great work!
    Be consistent.
    Make realistic goals.
    Know that you will have good days and bad days.
    Surround yourself with the right people
    Don't be distracted by negativity
    Execute your plan and achieve your desired results.
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    DO NOT EVER be defeated just because someone runs faster than you. I am a super slow runner (14:45-ish minute miles), but I'm still a runner. When I run, I am only competing with myself, to increase my endurance and speed. Please just continue what you are doing! You will see such improvements!!! WONDERFUL JOB!!!!
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    Last night I did a lower body workout for the first time in awhile.

I used to be pretty good at certain things.

I nearly fell flat on my face doing lunges and squats, and could only do 10. Used to plow through waaayyy more.

Don't give up.
  • Shaynecameron
    Options
    At 306 I was doing 3 miles in an hour, so don't sell yourself short. You are larger than most of the skinny-minnies on here, and you are doing great! Keep it up. It'll take time, but the weight will come off, and you'll be doing 5 mile runs in an hour, or better.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Running is just about you and doing better than you did before. Keep at it and you will get better. Like anything it takes a little time to get good at.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I can easily walk 5k, as I do I almost daily. And since a back injury, I have a lot of difficulty running so do not want to run 5k, I just want to walk as fast as I can as it doesn't put as much pain on my back. I am trying to increase my speed and do shorter distances. I would love to be able to do 2 miles within half hour. That is my newest goal.
    Thank you everyone for the positive encouragement. It does mean a lot!! Here is to tomorrow's workout.

If you can't run for health reasons, this might be a very hard goal. I'm at a 14-15 min mile now, but I'm running (or jogging, however you look at it). I can't walk that fast, but I can run that fast. You're doing great! Also, you can do water walking/running to help with speed.
  • gemaquaries
    gemaquaries Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Don't be defeated! And it is true, you need to make sure you only compete against yourself. Because you're only doing this for you!! Keep track of your progress and soon you will see your improvements :)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I was so proud of myself, I did 2 miles in 34 minutes. Until I looked online and saw how most people do two miles in under 20!!!!! I've been at this for over a month! To keep at that speed, I am doing a very fast walk for me. I am 306 lbs. Any tips?

Don't worry about anyone else. If you did 2 miles in 34 mins that means you are averaging just under 4 miles an hr. That's a fairly quick pace. When I lost weight the first time, I only did 3.4 miles/hr and the weight dropped off of me. You are heavier than I was so you should still be getting an incredible calorie burn. Keep it up! You don't want to extend yourself to much and mess up your knees.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You are doing amazingly well!!! Do not compare yourself to others. Use your personal goals! Each time you begin your workout. look at what you did the last time and then increase in small increments. You will get to YOUR goal. but you should be very proud of yourself. I am proud of you!! Keep going. Remember look at YOUR goals. :flowerforyou:
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    WTG! You are doing great.
  • Babbs1977
    Babbs1977 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    To give you some perspective, I don't run often but when I do it's at a pace that most people can walk at. My legs are super short, so 4mph on a treadmill is full out running for me...3.5 is the absolute max I can do at a fast walk and normally at that point I'm jogging.

I don't compare myself to others, because I'm not like anyone else. My legs are super short (24 inch inseam) and it wouldn't matter if I weighed 100 lbs total...I'd never be able to run as fast as other people walk but it's good enough for me!

Keep plugging along, and working hard...you can do this and do it well without comparing yourself to someone else!!