depression = no appetite

Options
i've dealt with depression for years, but when i get into really deep episodes i have no motivation to eat (or even exercise). lately i've found this one particular episode has been lasting longer and longer. it's been pretty much a month, when i'm normally wishy washy. i just don't have the motivation to eat, but i will because i don't want to fall ill or continue to lose my hair (other medical issues). i just don't have an appetite. it feels so forced to eat and i get bloated after waiting too long to eat something. i eat pretty healthy, it's just when i get like this i don't really wanna do anything... i only eat because it feels like i have to and not cus i want to. any tips on how to get some food in without feeling like i'm stuffing myself sick?

please don't tell me to go a professional/therapy. i don't have money or insurance/transportation. if i did i would go..

Replies

• independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    First of all. Sending a big virtual hug your way. Depression sucks!

Sounds like you really want to feel better. I know finances are an issue but I'd really encourage you to Google for free resources that are available online in your county (I'd help but wasn't sure what part of Tx your in).

Some therapists will offer phone sessions for free if you ask and they can probably connect you to books/free support groups and give you tools to help you feel better. Also, check into enrolling in medicaid in your state I know where I live Medicaid can help with free appointments and also transportation to visits.

You can do it. You deserve to feel better!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Everyone experiences depression differently, but for me, not getting the calories I need definitely makes my depression worse. It's kind of a vicious cycle -- I don't tend to want to eat when I get depressed, which then makes my depression worse, so I eat even less, and the depression gets even worse, etc.

You have to think of food as the fuel that keeps you running. Hunger can be a really bad way to gauge whether or not you need to eat. (It's like the gas gauge in your car -- your car needs a certain amount of gas to drive a mile. Your gas gauge can be broken and always point to Full, but you still need to put gas in your car). You need X number of calories every day just to stay alive, whether or not you feel hungry.

I would really encourage you to work out a schedule and eat at regular times throughout the day. You don't need to eat a lot, but waiting too long can cause a bunch of other negative side effects like bloating or blood sugar spikes and crashes.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    yes i'm definitely caught in that cycle of not wanting to eat = not eating making me feel worse = not wanting to eat because feel worse than i started = eating even less. hard to kick that cycle to a stop.

i do try to make myself eat, i always make sure i have breakfast within a couple hours of waking even if i'm not hungry. and then try to eat one more bigger meal or 2 smaller ones later throughout the day. i also try to nibble on the instances i feel hunger or a craving. i do get bloated a lot (plus it doesn't help that i have other issues that don't aid in digestion...) and that's why i try to eat frequently. i just feel sick at my stomach sometimes making myself eat. i'm wondering if i should try hearty broths/soups or packed smoothies? because drinking or slurping something slowly seems to be easier than trying to sit down and eat a whole meal. but i need to buy a new blender for smoothies.. hah

also i will check out about the phone sessions in my local area, i actually never thought about that. i do try to read some self help things online but ya know when there's a giant block of "nothing matters" sitting in front of you it's hard to process any of what it says for it to be beneficial. incredibly frustrating and disheartening. i appreciate your replies
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    i'm wondering if i should try hearty broths/soups or packed smoothies? because drinking or slurping something slowly seems to be easier than trying to sit down and eat a whole meal. but i need to buy a new blender for smoothies.. hah
    Those are great ideas. I'd be a little careful with the soups -- a lot of people use them to limit calories because they're so filling -- but as long as you're taking in enough calories they're perfect. It's just as easy to make high-calorie soups as it is to make low-calorie soups, and it's a lot easier to drink some of your calories sometimes.

This is just a random thing that might be interesting for you to think about -- we tend to think that "healthy" automatically means low-calorie, but that's not always true. In your specific case (just based on what you've said in this thread, which admittedly isn't a lot), the healthiest thing you can do is to make sure you're getting enough calories. If adding a cookie (or some fruit, or whatever sounds good to you) after every meal means you hit your calorie goal, the healthiest thing you can do is to eat a cookie! Getting fuel into your car should be your #1 priority if you want to keep it running well :flowerforyou:
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Try to eat even if you don't feel like it. Lack of eating can contribute to your depression. Also if you are low in vitamin D3, B12 and have low blood sugars (or hypoglycemia from not eating consistently) it can all compound depression. You should try to take some supplements and eat something with a bit of protein and carb (even a little nibble) every few hours. Try to see if you can get some bloodwork done (if it can be done for free). All of those things really impacted me negatively and once I addressed the low levels of D3, B12 and are more consistently, I felt so much better. Hope you are feeling better soon. Add me if you would like :)
  • leomcdee
    leomcdee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this.

I suffer from depression and OCD, so I know how hard it is... to do anything! But any small step you make to improve your well-being is really, really positive.

So, here are the non-medical things I do when I'm having an episode:

- Exercise. As hard as it is to find that motivation, going for a long walk or a swim makes me feel so much better. If I consistently exercise, every day, I can feel back to my usual self in a matter of weeks.

- Meditation. There are a few free resources, including HeadSpace that provide guided meditation. Just taking ten minutes a day to sit has been proven to do wonders for mental health. In fact, this reminds me that I should meditate when I'm well too, as it'll help keep me well.

- Food. This is hard, because you've lost your appetite, but the more you eat, the more you'll want to eat. I'd eat at regular intervals, the same time everyday to train my body to know when it's going to receive food. You could eat some really gentle food, like crackers, grapes, berries, apples, jelly (I think you call it jello in the US?) - you don't have to eat much, just try a few mouthfuls of something every few hours. Or, eat something you really love like your favourite meal or treat.

- Sleep. Lots of rest to heal the body and mind! If you struggle to sleep, take a long walk in the early evening followed by a hot shower or bath, a few gentle yoga stretches and a bit of meditation. Stay away from computers/TVs for an hour before you go to sleep, and just give your brain some time to wind down.

I hope some of that helps. Lots of love to you!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Also if you are low in vitamin D3, B12 and have low blood sugars (or hypoglycemia from not eating consistently) it can all compound depression. You should try to take some supplements and eat something with a bit of protein and carb (even a little nibble) every few hours.

I have had been through some of the depression, it was prior to getting into a workout schedule, which did seem to help. When I hit the last extended depression, my doctor did test and I am way low in D and B12. B12 is under control now. The depression still comes and goes, but not as bad. I don't have the feeling of just wanting to lay on my couch all day and all night. Try and make yourself get some exercise, if you have a good friend that you can talk about anything with...plan to hang out (I have three friends that help me and let me be sad or happy or whatever and they just listen), journal and meditate. These things all seem to help me out some.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Do you have any "mindless snacking" foods you like? A lot of people can mindlessly eat a bag of chips and not even notice it. Obviously you don't want to be mindless about it because you're here for a reason and mindless eating isn't going to help. But maybe you could portion out servings in zip lock bags and munch on them while you're going about your day. I find I'm more likely to blindly eat if I'm holding food in my hands while I'm doing stuff.

It wouldn't have to be chips, just any food you like to snack on. I like Fruit Loops. I will eat them dry, one at a time and not even notice they're gone until I look down. Maybe you're more into fruit or nuts, whatever works. The best thing you can do for yourself is get some food in you and munching on snacks coupled with regular meal times might be able to help.

Stay strong! I know how tuff depression can be.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    sweetie, i've been there but the opposite spectrum... extreme anxiety. same symptoms, not wanting to eat and just a bite or two i feel bloated and it hurts. but i did workout - which caused me to pass out with the lack of nutrition. thankfully my church contracted a counselor that i could see free of charge and have been seeing her for a couple years now. it's helped. as far as the food goes... try to get in you higher calorie good foods like walnuts, cheese, avocados, etc. try to stay away from soups (high in sodium). protein shakes are great - but make them at home. add veggies / greens - i use spinach & kale and frozen fruits. i use water as the base but to increase your calories use unsweetened almond milk - it's really good! well, to get your calories up, maybe get the sweetened one. It'll take time. once i started really working on it, i think it took me 4 months or so for my eating to get fully 'back on track' and at a healthier state. and that's purely mental - i think you know that though.

hope this helps even a little. good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Depression is tough. I've never had clinical depression, but have gone through times where I feel sad/depressed, as everyone does. I, too, am not hungry at all then, and since I can't force myself to eat, I have to force myself to do something to get the "nothing matters" thoughts out of my head first. Here are a couple tips.

1 - One step at a time, literally - start walking! Don't have a destination in mind, it doesn't matter. Keep walking. Every time you think you want to give up and turn around, keep walking. Every time you feel out of your comfort zone, keep walking. Walk until you see something that makes you smile. When you return home, you'll feel a sense of accomplishment too... every time you wanted to give up, you didn't.

2 - Change "nothing matters" to "most things don't matter." Life is simple, and to me that's pretty liberating. When you think about things that do matter, most have to do with the relationships we have with others, and how we demonstrate goodness and kindness. Do something nice for someone. It will matter to them, and to you.

3 - Treat yourself to something. To me, things like a cup of fancy tea or hot cocoa/sipping chocolate are great for this. Something you don't have often, something nice that requires enough effort to make that you think "hey, I better not waste this!" Plus you can sip it slowly, which feels better if you haven't eaten in a while.

4 - Pray. Think about the vastness of the universe. The intricacy of living organisms. How small, yet special life is. Think about the future, not the past. Realize how little we actually know, even though we think we're so smart. Make an inspirational quote your motto for the day. Think of one thing to be thankful for today.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I get the same way. I find that drinking my calories, via the way of shakes, preferably chocolate, are very helpful. And I also find that the colder the better. I hope you feel better soon. I lose so much weight last year due to a depression that my dr threw a fit on me and people were asking if I was okay. Then of course there were the remarks from strangers like "gee lady, eat a cheeseburger why dontcha" Well, if I could, I would.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    these were all great suggestions, thank you all! today actually was a little better, aside from a stomach ache, but i actually felt hungry so maybe that's a sign my body is craving some food!! i do need to walk more, and incorporate more yoga weekly. i do feel better when i'm in a routine, but this whole wave after wave of depression throws me all off all the time and it's back to having no energy or appetite. i do struggle with it among other things, but i am trying. a little hard to make myself feel different, when it feels like my mind is trying to constantly rewire..

and yes actually i have been wanting to get bloodwork done for a while!!! it's just getting around to making the appointment, and getting to the clinic. i've been meaning to do that, but it got pushed to the back of my to do. i'm willing to bet i do have some deficiencies and the sooner i find out the better. thanks again everyone, for your tips and words of encouragement.