any triathletes?

Options

Replies

• bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for my third Iron Girl in August and plan to do my first half-marathon (which I'm totally daunted by) in May.

I highly recommend the Aflac Iron Girl series of sprint triathlons (.6 mile swim; 18 mile bike ride; 3.3 mile run) which is a women-only triathlon, extremely well run, and a very positive experience.

Triathlons have three main distances: sprint (mentioned above); Olympic, a little longer; full triathlon (sorry, I don't know these distances by heart) and then Iron Man, which is the BIG ONE.

The best thing about tri training is you don't get burned out on any one sport, and it helps to cross-train so you don't get injured. The biggest thing about tri's, in my opinion, is learning to swim without panicking. If there's a triathlon group in your area, you can join & train with other people who will help you out. For first-timers, do NOT set a time for yourself, just aim to finish within the allotted time period (it's 4 hours for Iron Girl; I did 2:39:14 last time).

Good luck!
  • annie422
    annie422 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've done one sprint tri. The Danskin in Ma is great. I did it one year after having my first baby and haven't been able to get another one in since (mostly b/c I've had 2 more children!). I hope to do it again this summery in Webster. The Danskin's are incredible friendly to first time tri'ers. I highly recommend them, but they are well attended so if crowds overwhelm...

I belong to the ymca so the swim and run are no problem. The bike was my biggest challenge b/c with 3 kids and a husband that works off normal hours it's nearly impossible for me to get the training in and the hills in Webster are crazy.

I'm going to try something new this year, the rugged maniac in Southwick in September. Now that looks crazy fun.

Good luck to any newbies, the sense of accomplishment is pretty amazing. And to you long time tri'ers, half marathon and olympic, I'm so in awe!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    For those of you who have ever had any length of "time out" for whatever reason...

Which discipline did you find hardest to get back into?

With cycling I seem to almost be able to pick up where I left off. Swimming endurance is sort of gone but not too bad. I'm struggling most to get the running back on track... :huh:
    I'm the same way. Running is hardest for me. If I had to do the 1st 2 legs of a half Iron next week, I probably could, but not the run. I did a Marathon back in 2003 and a Half a few years ago, but since then I had a road bike crash resulting in a hip injury (not broken, thankfully), and running has become much tougher for me now. I'm seriously considering power walking the run portion.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The main international race distances are:

Sprint distance (750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run)
    Standard distance or "Olympic distance" (1.5km swim, 40km ride, 10km run)
    Middle Distance or "Half Ronman" or "70.3" (1.9km swim, 90km ride, Half marathon run [13.1 miles])
    Long Distance or "Ironman" (3.8 km swim, 180 km ride, Full marathon run [26.2 miles])

Then recently there have been more events specifically to attract newbies to the sport called Supersprints or "Try-a-Tris" which are typically half the distance of the Sprint distance... Swims for Supersprints can be anything from 250m-500m, rides could be as short as 12 miles with runs as short as 3k.

Something for everyone.

To anyone who thinks their swimming holds them back...
    When I entered Ironman Switzerland in 2009 I could not swim a length of a 25m pool and within a year I did a 2.4 mile open water Ironman swim. I had lessons as an adult and learning to swim properly was the most liberating thing I've ever done. :happy:
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hi- I'm signing up for a Sprint in June. This is kind of an off questions, but I'm curious about the transitions. What do you wear? How do you change? My main question- do you wear your suit the whole race? I've always been curious and I know I'm going to be nervous enough...
  • backinthenines
    Options
    Hi- I'm signing up for a Sprint in June. This is kind of an off questions, but I'm curious about the transitions. What do you wear? How do you change? My main question- do you wear your suit the whole race? I've always been curious and I know I'm going to be nervous enough...

It depends.

I am assuming for a moment that the swim is a pool swim. If you wish to invest in a tri-suit you can swim in it and the material is specially made to dry off very quickly. It will have a small amount of padding for the bike, not big enough to get in the way during swimming and running but enough for extra comfort in the saddle.

The alternative - if you don't want to invest much money yet - is to wear an ordinary swim suit in the pool, and when you come out just put on some cycling shorts and a t-shirt over it. There is a risk that the swim suit may chafe a little on the run but it's not a long distance so shouldn't be too bad.

In general this is what happens....

Swim... Swim... Swim...

Come out of the water and run into T1 (transition one = swim to bike).
    Wip off cap and goggles.
    I normally have a small towel to step on for a quick wipe of the feet before putting on socks and cycling or running shoes.
    Put your cycling glasses on if you use them.
    Put your cycling helmet on (obligatory!)
    DO NOT touch your bike before you fastnened your helmet - it can be a cause for DQ in many races.
    Unrack your bike.
    Run it to the mount line.
    Mount your bike at the mount line and go.

Bike... Bike... Bike...

At the end of your ride you enter T2 (transition two = bike to run)
    You will be required to dismount at the mount line.
    Run your bike and re-rack it.
    Unfasten your helmet.
    If you're wearing cycling shoes you obviously have to change shoes now. If you're not riding clipped in you will already be wearing your running shoes.

Run... Run... Run...

Finish! :drinker:
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • backinthenines
    Options
    I forgot to mention race numbers.

After registration you will be given your race pack and "marked". This involves having your race number scrawled with fat black marker pen on your upper arm and your lower leg. (You'll have hours of fun trying to wash those off after the race!!)

The 2 big race numbers are pinned to your top, or if you use a race belt they go on your belt. You won't need these in the pool as you're "marked" but have to remember to put them on in T1.

You may also get 2 smaller sticky numbers. If so, one will go on the front of your helmet and one usually on the top tube of your bike.

Remember to smile for your finish line photo! :bigsmile:
  • jrcboiler
    jrcboiler Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm about ready to commit to one in August! It's a 1/2 mile swim, 11 mile bike and a 5k. I've already started training for the swimming, I hear that is the hardest part. I'm a strong swimmer and was on the swim team in high school, but definitely need to get back into it. I think it will be a lot of fun!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I got inspired by a friend who is very active in the sport and then I got inspired by my wife to lose all this weight. Now I have this drive and this goal to finish each of the various levels of triathlon. I know I cant do them all in one year so its gradual. I ran my first ever race of any kind( a 5k) in April of 2010. Since then Ive put 4 other 5k's under my belt. I decided since biking was part of my weight loss training one day well I was finishing my C25k training that I was running 5k and cycling 12-18 miles all the time. surely I could pick up swimming too.

Swimming is a lot harder then the others but I'm working at it. My first sprint tri is this Spring in late May. I have a second planned in late Aug and depending on how the first one goes I might try an Olympic sometime in the middle of the summer.

Im really excited and slowly going broke....Triathlon is an expensive sport.

I should add Im planning a half ironman in 2012
  • backinthenines
    Options
    I'm about ready to commit to one in August! It's a 1/2 mile swim, 11 mile bike and a 5k. I've already started training for the swimming, I hear that is the hardest part. I'm a strong swimmer and was on the swim team in high school, but definitely need to get back into it. I think it will be a lot of fun!

It's not that imperative at this distance but in longer swims it is worth adopting a swim style that allows you to use as little of your legs as possible. When you see triathletes swim it often looks like their legs just trail along for balance but there isn't much energy expended on kicking. This matters as you're trying to save your legs for the bike (and subsequent run). When I see club swimmers, they tend to kick a lot harder than triathletes.

I'm not sure about the swim being the hardest part of a tri per se, but it can in some ways make or break your race.
    I always think the hardest part is just what I'm weakest at. :laugh:
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the swim being the hardest part of a tri per se, but it can in some ways make or break your race.

thats why its a triathlon and why its so daunting cause being good at all three sports isn't easy. And its rare to find someone that excels at all three!
  • backinthenines
    Options

thats why its a triathlon and why its so daunting cause being good at all three sports isn't easy. And its rare to find someone that excels at all three!

I'm pretty rubbish at all three but i's still great fun. :drinker:
  • stockers78
    stockers78 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty rubbish at all three as well - but still doing way more than I ever thought I was capable of! When I started three years I couldn't do front crawl, never ridden clipped in and couldn't run more than 5 k - it's amazing how your perceptions change! Most worried about the bike at the moment, I am rubbish at hills and my Half Ironman has a notorious 'ripple' in the bike course :-s
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    I tri, but am focusing on some adventure races here in the Midwest this year. In fact...I'd like to put together a team of 4 people (at least one female) for these races and / or a tri team. My forte is on the bike, running second, and floating last. If anyone on this list wants to talk about doing adventure racing / tri's in a team (or solo) atomosphere, let's get a group going.

Add me as a friend, and I will pull together a list for us.

SG
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Great to see so many triathletes here! I'm already signed up for a sprint tri in June, then will more than likely do an Oly in July, and a Half IronMan again in either August or September. Love love love the tri's!!!
  • backinthenines
    Options
    I tri, but am focusing on some adventure races here in the Midwest this year. In fact...I'd like to put together a team of 4 people (at least one female) for these races and / or a tri team. My forte is on the bike, running second, and floating last. If anyone on this list wants to talk about doing adventure racing / tri's in a team (or solo) atomosphere, let's get a group going.

Add me as a friend, and I will pull together a list for us.

SG

Sounds like great fun and if I were anywhere near you I'd sure sign up. :smile:
  • backinthenines
    Options
    I'm pretty rubbish at all three as well - but still doing way more than I ever thought I was capable of! When I started three years I couldn't do front crawl, never ridden clipped in and couldn't run more than 5 k - it's amazing how your perceptions change! Most worried about the bike at the moment, I am rubbish at hills and my Half Ironman has a notorious 'ripple' in the bike course :-s

Hey good luck with that. Have you got some hills of similar length and incline near you you could practice on? :drinker:
  • backinthenines
    Options
    Great to see so many triathletes here! I'm already signed up for a sprint tri in June, then will more than likely do an Oly in July, and a Half IronMan again in either August or September. Love love love the tri's!!!

Hey that's a lot for one year!! Go You!!!!! :drinker:

Full IM on the cards next year then? :wink:
  • reemg
    reemg Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm 18 and I did my first sprint triathlon last summer with my best friend the week before we left for college. It was AMAZING!!!! i HIGHLY recommend at least trying one! yes, there is a lot of training but I found out that I was more prepared than i thought i was. When your adrenaline starts going you feel invincible!!!! I'm doing another one this summer. It is a great goal to work up to and is SO rewarding in the end!