Good food is getting too expensive

Options
Why is it that all the good healthy food - like fruit, dairy, meats are getting so dang expensive??? Wanted some grapes so bad today but they were $4.75 a pound. It's getting too depressing to go grocery shopping. I use to think it was a challenge - kinda a fun game to see how creative I could be buying healthy foods and planning my weekly menus.

Any ideas as to keeping costs down, eating healthy and enjoying good nutritious food?

Replies

• SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Plan based on the specials they have for that week. For instance my Zone bars I buy them when they sell for 10 for $10
    if they are not on sale I choose something diffent for that week..same goes with Greek yogurts.
    Plan around special I'd say .
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    Produce is pricey now, and unfortunately, it's only going to get worse. Currently, at my store (I'm the perishable manager at a large grocery store chain.) grapes are $2.99/lb and strawberries are $4.99/lb. With the rain and in some cases unseasonable weather, growers are having trouble getting their crops in. Couple that with rising transportation costs, and you get the situation we all find ourselves in now.

Citrus is even going to be impacted to some extent with the weather the southern states saw this week!

I also learned this week that bananas usually take eleven weeks to grow, but due to weather conditions will start taking closer to sixteen, causing shortages (and, unfortunately, price increases).

Stock up on what's in season. And blueberries! Which are currently the only berry growers have plenty of!

As for meat, watch the sale ads for the stores in your area! The front page items tend to be at (or sometimes even below) current market cost. :flowerforyou:
  • summerbert
    summerbert Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I found an awesome fruit stand in town. It is more like a fruit barn. I was able to get Honeycrisp apples for $.89lb and Oranges for $.69lbs walked out of there with two filled to the brim bags of produce for $20. they also had black beans and kidney beans among other things. You have to get out there and really look but if you do you can find it. We also buy our meat straight off the farm. We can buy a quarter of a cow for $1.49lb and organic free range chicken for 1.49lb. The only time I buy chicken in the store is if it is $1.69lb and I can't get my other chicken. I follow a lot of coupon blogs and some of them eat organic so they give good tips on healthy and cost efficient food
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, buying fresh fruit out of season is likely to be much more expensive. I've heard frozen fruit can be pretty reasonably priced... obviously you won't find things like Grapes frozen (I don't think so?), but you can probably find mango, pineapple, berries, etc. Also, try shopping around at other stores you may not typically go to - our health/organic store (Sprouts - not sure which states they're in) actually will have better deals on a lot of fresh (non-organic) veggies than the regular grocery store.

For meats, look for "managers specials" - meats that are nearing their sell-by date that is perfectly good but they've reduced the price on to sell it quicker. Also, stores frequently have sales/specials on one type of meat or another. My local regular grocery store has had packs of skinless, boneless chicken breasts at 1.99/lb the past few times I've been there, which is pretty darn good (and cheaper than the frozen chicken breasts you can buy in the bags). When you find something at a great price, stock up if you can.

It takes longer, but it's worth shopping around, watching for deals, cutting cupons, etc. - can make a big difference in your wallet.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Look for sales and buy/stock up them. Buy frozen fruits right now until the fresh ones are in season in the summer. Unfortunately most fruit is out of season right now so its shipped from out of the country or other states making it more expensive...
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    whoa. any farmer's markets nearby? or um, perhaps hit the store during their sale hours? tuesday mornings were good in my grocery store in redondo, but sometimes choosing the off hours when people don't often go saves you bucks. worst prices after work or on weekends I've noted. And coupon clip! it pays!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    oh!~ I almost forgot! Jons market! or Vallarta. They are waay cheaper on produce!
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    For me, I take advantage of my local farmers markets and I try to spend my money on only the necessities and less indulgences.

:o]
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Start couponing for all of your other basics (TP, paper towels, toothpaste, floss, laundry detergent, dish soap) that way when you want to buy the fruits, you will have money.

Go to this website:
    www.happymoneysaver.com, or frugalchicliving.org. They have links that teach you about couponing.

ALSO, buy frozen fruits and veggies during off season. Make steamed seasoned veggies, and fruit smoothies.....frozen are cheaper than fresh during off season.

Good luck! Feel free to add me if you have any questions about couponing.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    On the up side.... when you eat less, your grocery bills go down.

My grocery bills are down by half!

Also, something even better... my spring bulbs are already coming up... the sun isn't totally down by the time I leave work... summer's coming!!!!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I found an awesome fruit stand in town. It is more like a fruit barn. I was able to get Honeycrisp apples for $.89lb and Oranges for $.69lbs walked out of there with two filled to the brim bags of produce for $20. they also had black beans and kidney beans among other things. You have to get out there and really look but if you do you can find it. We also buy our meat straight off the farm. We can buy a quarter of a cow for $1.49lb and organic free range chicken for 1.49lb. The only time I buy chicken in the store is if it is $1.69lb and I can't get my other chicken. I follow a lot of coupon blogs and some of them eat organic so they give good tips on healthy and cost efficient food
    Would love to know more about the coupon blogs particularly the organtic tips etc. (always enjoy reading more about that) if you'd be so kind as to share?:wink::flowerforyou:
  • EmmaR84
    EmmaR84 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm in England so it may be different however I try to buy as much of my fruit, veg and meat from my local market. There are always stalls selling big bowls of fruit and veg for £1 a bowl so I can stock up for a week for under £10. There are great fishmongers and butchers at the market too with much better quality meat than what I would get at teh supermarket. I can also ask them to do things like remove all the fat/skin of the fish etc and I've found they are always willing to help you choose a cheaper cut for what you are making.

Whilst I am not a fan of gardening I want to start planting some of my own vegetables, I know I won't be able to replace all my shopping with home grown but it will reduce the costs over the summer/autumn months.

Whilst I have cut back a lot on the bread I eat I still enjoy it now and again and with 2 children and a husband who like toast/sandwiches etc there was always a loaf open to tempt me. Now, using a bread machine, I make my own loaves most days, the size that they make is usually enough to make toast in the mornings and sandwiches for my husbands lunch at work without too much left for me to snack on. Also I can control what goes into it, salt etc. As most loaves are now £1.20-£1.70 at teh supermarket it works out as a lot cheaper too and fresh bread is always much nicer than the plastic wrapped stuff!

Finally, as someone else has said, vouchers are fantastic! Yes I am one of those people who when paying will pull loads of vouchers out of her purse! Check online ones, ones in local papers/magazines and if the store has a "point collecting card" take it each time it soon adds up and can give you big discounts off a shop. One of my local supermarkets allows you to buy "saver stamps" which you keep for Christmas, depending on how many you buy you will also get some free. This Christmas our food shop should have cost over £80 (we bought lots of luxuries) but after deducting the vouchers it came to a total of £40 and then I had £50 of saver stamps so the cupboards were full and we still had £10 left over!
  • jpilley
    jpilley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Whew - what great responses. I really like the one about "since I eat less, I buy less." Shopping the sales is definitely the way to go now and I have noticed that a lot of times the healthier foods are the ones featured on sale by our local providers. And for coupons, I do try to "cut to save" them but what a jumbled mess they are, never what I am looking for, gotta buy more than one of the items now to use the coupon (have you noticed that) and expire a lot quicker.

I bought loads of fresh fruit this summer, strawberries and blueberries for example, and washed them up and spread them out on a cookie sheet and sat them in the freezer till they were frozen then dumped em in a big heavy freezer bag to take out for smoothies, cereal, fruit salads, or just to grab a handful for a quick snack. I even freeze my brown bananas in the peel rather than throwing them away - just rinse under hot water, peel and its ready to go into a smoothie or muffin mix.

Any other good ideas or recipes you guys got to save on costs? Really enjoying your feedback.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I agree with shopping the sales. $4.75 for grapes is ridiculous when a sale will have them down to 99 cents a lb.

ETA: Also for those wanting to learn about couponing, there's tons of good blogs: southersavers.com, dealseekingmom.com, thekrazycouponlady.com, afullcup.com, totallytarget.com.... i can go on. lol.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the previous posters about shopping sales and using coupons. It is tricky at first sometimes, but gets easy very quickly and becomes fun to "beat" the store and save as much as you can. I'm an avid couponer and we hardly buy anything if it's not on sale with a coupon. Message me if you have any questions and I'll help you out as much as I can :)
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do:

*Like others said, coupons is the way to go. Between all my stores, I can typically get all my household, HBA, paper etc products free or close to it with sales and coupons. That way I have more for the expensive things.

*Shop the sales. For example, Better Oats is on sale this week at my Kroger for $1 a box. I plan to get 10-15 boxes to last me until they go on sale again. If I find something that I use regularly (another poster mentioned the zone bars) I stock up so I know I have enough until they go on sale again.

*For produce, I stock up when its on sale and freeze it so I have it to last a while. Peaches went on sale for .68/lb at Kroger in the fall and I stocked up and froze most of them. I also buy frozen straw/blueberries since they are cheaper per lb than fresh right now.

*For meat, I go first thing Monday morning after I get my kids on the bus and they most always have tons marked down. If not, I wait for my chicken to go on sale for $1.79/lb or less and stock up. I learn whats a good sale at the stores I shop at most and stock up when they go that price or better, that way I don't get stuck paying $3/lb or more for meat.

I typically do this for my usual groceries anyhow. This week Kroger is having a good mega sale with certain things on sale like canned veggies for .49 each and sobe life water/propel for .49 each also. I tend to stock up at these sales and it gets me by for a while.
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Another savings blog to check out is hip2save.com.

I get really frustrated when I go to Kroger and they have boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale for like $1.99/lb and they have NONE! Then the next time I go it's something crazy like $7-9 for a package of fresh chicken breasts. I'd much rather go to Super Target for groceries because they are usually cheaper on a lot of things I buy, but Kroger is just right outside of my neighborhood while it takes 20 minutes to to Super Target.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    walmart has lowered their prices I also like the club stores I go to BJ's.....its all about being creative...
  • blogger79
    Options
    Eat fruits and vegetables that are in season.. Grapes are in season (ripen) from June to September..

I try to eat in season and locally... The closer to home they were cultivated, the better they taste and the more nutritious they are (due to less travel time)..

Once a year I get my fill of cherries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, apples as well as some other delicious local fruits. I'm too cheap to pay for stawberries in winter.. just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Here's a winter guide:

Winter Fruits and Vegetables

Chestnuts
    •Fresh chestnuts may be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Grapefruit
    •Choose a grapefruit that feels heavy for its size.
    •Fruit should give slightly when squeezed.
    •Look for unblemished peel.

Kale
    •Look for dark green leaves (may have tinges of purple).
    •Find kale with sturdy stems.
    •Do not store longer than a week.

Leeks
    •The smaller the leek, the more tender.
    •Can be stored up to a week in the refrigerator.

Lemons
    •Choose lemons heavy for their size.
    •Look for unblemished, smooth skin.
    •Will keep for up to three weeks in the fridge.

Oranges
    •Find oranges heavy for their size.
    •Rind color not necessarily an indication of flavor.
    •Try baking Fat-Free Cranberry-Orange Oatmeal Cookies

Radishes
    •Buy radishes with green tops attached for freshness.
    •Remove tops as soon as you get home.
    •Store up to two weeks in refrigerator.

Rutabega
    •Look for smaller rutabegas, as they will be sweeter.
    •Check for an unblemished skin.

Tangerines
    •See "Oranges"

Turnips
    •Select turnips smaller than three inches in diameter.
    •Store in a plastic bag up to one week in refrigerator.
  • slllkja
    slllkja Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have said that to myself many times, and think I have used that as an excuse to not buy it!!! We found Aldi's. We can go there and buy selected fruit and veggies at a very good price, much cheaper than the regular grocery store. They have a lot of good healthy food - just be sure to check the labels. We are on a very tight budget, but are able to eat pretty good when shopping there!! I would check it out, hope this helps!!