Macros
    Micros
    Moderation
    Movement.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    what work?

Seriously...logging food takes what 5-10mins? staying in a reasonable deficit doesn't mean being hungry all the time...it means not being uncomfortably full all the time. Eating what you want but in moderation.

That isn't work....

Work is digging a ditch, running a marathon, Deadlifting 330lbs, squatting your BW + 40lbs...waiting tables, being a power engineer, being a welder, a dog walker

That's work...this psh this is a cake walk compared to a lot of things.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Anything worth having is going to take some work on your end.

I think part of the problem along with not wanting to put in the work is there may be some fear from thinking that you have to give up or cut back on the things that you have been eating. You don't have to give up everything completely, but you do have to put in some time to prep food and exercise. You do need to make some changes if you want to see the scale moving in the right direction.

Find your determination.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    Suck it up buttercup. That is what the teenager told me when I was having a hard time with my cell phone. Yes, losing weight is work. It is like spending too much money and getting broke and in debt and miserable. Eating too much and we get fat and miserable. Who does want to do the work? Yes, we have to work at change or we get the consequences. I use to have a lot of bills and had to work on that and now I am debt free. I use to weigh 208 lbs and I had to work at that and now I weigh 155 and fit in my clothes.

I just got to the point where I was miserable and felt so disrespected. Like others have said you have to get there also. It was also a lot easier to eat than deal with emotions and figure out why I overate. I would go to food for comfort instead of figuring out the problem. I would eat and have 2 problems, fat and the problem. Again I was miserable. Not to mention, you might want a husband, a better job and people respect you if you don't let yourself go.

I have friends my age 60 and they have knee problems, high blood pressure and like you they don't want to do the work. They walk with a cane and cant hardly get up steps. I don't want their life. Someone told me today, you are so energetic, spunky. I said yes I guess I am, I feel good and I have a hubby 7 yrs younger than me, I need to be spunky. We have MFP to help us, there is so much support here.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is excited about any work that is needed to accomplish their goals BUT I will say the work is what keeps me going. I love the results and they are definitely a driving force but the work that I put in is what I take pride in and if I was to slack off I would be letting myself down and disregarding the work I have done. I also now enjoy the work, a quick fix would (if possible) would give me results but not a way to maintain the results or respect for the work. Anything worth having is worth working for and true appreciation for an accomplishment is only possible when earned.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I get it. I've spent a lot of time not wanting to put the effort in. But at the end of the day I have to be aware of what I'm putting into my face and how I'm moving my body. I'm sick of being fat. I'm sick of being sick. I'm sick of struggling to button pants. I'm sick of seeing the little beam at the doctors office creeping upwards. I'm sick of having to go to so many doctors to figure out why my body is so broken. My kids see this. The kids that I am supposed to be setting an example for, and yet here I am still in the "obese" category even after dropping 11 pounds.

I've watched and logged nearly every morsel that touched my lips in the last 6 weeks. I've gotten up off my *kitten* and gone for a walk/run despite having zero desire to do so. It's because I know I need to do it. For myself. For my husband. More than anything else for my two daughters, because I am their first role model, and frankly I was doing a s**tty job at it.

Do I want to sit down and eat a bag of popcorn and watch a movie? Yep. Do I want to make a tuna pita pocket for dinner, log it, and then go for a run? Not especially. But those 11 pounds didn't just hop off me in the middle of the night when I wasn't looking. I've spent years half assing it, and I'm done with that. I'd rather work some chicken strips into my day than spend my morning trying to work myself into my pants.

My oldest daughter just slapped on sneakers and her "exercise clothes", and plugged in in her iPod, so she could go on my "run" with me. If that's not some motivation to get moving, I'm not sure what is.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I don't want to do the work either. I don't want to. I hate working out, I hate eating smaller amounts.

But, you just do it - because - it's either work - or hating yourself - at least for me.

I still mess up - I think I was over my calories every day this week - but I still do it - I still log and go to the gym and just do it, and hate every single second of it.

It's just what you got to do if you want anything to change.

I also hate my job, its soul sucking, depressing, and horrible. But I do it, because I have to. i kind of think of logging food and losing weight the same way. Except at least the weight loss will pay off and make me happy in the end :-)

Omg, I could have written every word of this!
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Wait till you have health problems. That's a motivator. My motto is "Losing weight is hard. Maintaining weight is hard. Living heavy is hard. Choose your hard." I log in every morning before I've even had breakfast. I think that helps. My 5Ks give me goals that nothing else had done before. It took years to figure out exercise had to come first for me, or I would never follow a diet. Don't know if any of that helps, but that's what I know.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose weight? You never really said. I think answering that question would be the first step in finding your motivation.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! Great advice about small changes. And just go gentle with yourself as you go through the process of WANTING to WANT to commit to the work it takes to make a healthier you.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight but I don't want to put in the work. I know what you all are thinking after reading that first sentence but before you judge me at least give me credit for being honest. I mean whats the point in me lying about it? I gotta be honest with myself and you all if I want the help and trust me I do want help. I just don't know how to remain consistent. I always start a plan and never finish it. im not afraid of working out or sweating. im 31 years old and has no health issues other than some stomach problems. theres no reason why I cant do this. I just don't want to. well I do but I want more of a quick fix and I know that's not the route to go.

im open to whatever anyone has to say good or bad. I don't care what you say or how you say it.....JUST SAY IT! I really need the motivation. help me get this started again. im begging for any advice. my diary is open. its a mess, but im not embarrassed. please tell me what I need to change. share your stories, workout plans, eating plans, whatever. im open to anything at this point. thanks

Serious? Since when in life do you get ANYTHING worthwhile without any effort? Unless you are a spoilt child who is always given what they want, and even then you'll eventually be disappointed when you realise the real world doesn't work that way. You sound like a child I know (not mine) who is never told off, never asked to help out around the house, given everything she wants. And wonders why she doesn't have any friends, because kids in the real world don't want to know someone who wants everything their own way and is not capable of effort or compromise. Same goes for relationships, employment, everything. You get out of things what you put in. Sorry, but you did say you wanted to hear it. You think I wouldn't like to eat and eat and sit on the couch and be thin and beautiful and happy? I'm sure alot of people would. How likely are they to achieve it? LOL. If you want to lose weight, put in the work. If you don't want it bad enough, don't bother. Or put it off 10 years and then think about how much you want it when you weight 400lbs from all the self indulgence.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't want to go to work.

I don't want to do the dishes.

I don't want to do the laundry.

I don't want to clean my house.

I don't want to scoop the cat litter.

I do these things because if I didn't, I wouldn't have any money and I'd live in a stinky gross house and wear stinky gross clothes.

Stop looking at weight loss as something thats a 'might be nice' or a 'I should' and start looking at it as a neccesity. Take it from being optional, and make it mandatory. Stop looking for motivation and start cultivating some dedication, and dare I say it, resignation.

Losing weight isn't all rainbow farts and bunnies, and if you only go for it when the mood is right and you're in the perfect headspace and your excited and motivated, you'll just crap out as soon as the mood changes, your headspace shifts, you get less excited or your motivation takes a knock.

I don't want to live in a crappy house - why should I stay in a crappy body?
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you sounded like me 10 years ago!

I'm 43 years old now. Only just started working on losing weight April this year, joined MFP in August. My original goal was to lose 20 lbs but it just seems like I could do better than that, I moved my goal to lose 25 lbs! I want you to know that it can be done, once you put your heart to it.

Just like you, I knew that quick fixes wouldn't work. I am not good at committing to a diet change. (I thought) I don't care how I look and I don't like shopping for new clothes. I am afraid to get started and not being able to finish. I'm afraid that I would just gain back what I lose, even if I could lose weight. I am afraid of the yo-yo diet. But then, in the past two years, my physical started to show warning signs of borderline high cholesterol, triglycerides , and A1C. Unless I want to live with high cholesterol, heart disease or diabetes later on and die early, I will have to make life-style change. I know you don't have any health issue right now, but I didn't either, ten years ago... Why not start sooner and look and feel good sooner?

After I made intentional diet change (keeping track of the ratio of protein, carbs, fiber, fat), my constipation went away. Right now, I have only lost 2 inches off my waist but I suddenly likes shopping for clothes. I never thought I'd run. But I signed up to run a local 5k in the coming Thanksgiving to motivate myself to exercise. I used the couch to 5k program which begins with walk/run exercise. I couldn't have imagine how happy that "run" makes me. What they say about exercise and endorphin must be true. Besides, no one could rub you of the joy of accomplish something new. And now, my sons want to sign up the 5k race with me!!

Try to think about what motivates you and see if you can get yourself motivated. For me, I need to feel that it can be done. I like to see the before after pictures, especially someone my size. I did not need to lose a lot of weight but more of my waistline. I always thought that I could never lose my big belly. I had it even when I was a teenager. I just thought this is my body type. But no. I have searched and seen pictures of 40+ years old women losing their big belly. Their before pictures look just like me. But their after pictures have flat tummies. Every single one says weight training is important for flat belly, I haven't done much of it yet. They also says enough sleep in important. I still need more of zzzz. So, even though I only lost 2 inches off my waist, I remain hopeful. There are still more things to try. More that I can work on.

In the earlier years of my life, not even once had I thought of wearing bikini. But now I think, maybe someday I'd look good in it!
  • KEAVES13
    KEAVES13 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't want to go to work.

I don't want to do the dishes.

I don't want to do the laundry.

I don't want to clean my house.

I don't want to scoop the cat litter.

I do these things because if I didn't, I wouldn't have any money and I'd live in a stinky gross house and wear stinky gross clothes.

Stop looking at weight loss as something thats a 'might be nice' or a 'I should' and start looking at it as a neccesity.

I don't want to live in a crappy house - why should I stay in a crappy body?

I have to say this is a "light bulb" moment for me, and definitely a new way of thinking when approaching many things in my life, especially my weight & weight related issues. Thank you!!!!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I was just coming by to advise you on logging in correctly, meaning finding the right food (in the data base) that you actually ate!
    Aside from what others have said about cutting this or that out or watering down your juice(s) etc, here are 2 examples of what "Im" talking about.
    If youre cooking then you can look on the packaging to read all the info.
    Yesterday you say you had 4 slices of Oscar Meyer Thick Sliced Bacon.
    I eat turkey bacon which is 25 calories Each.
    For your bacon you have it as 120 calories but when I did it, this is what I got:
    This is based on: Calories Carbs Fiber Protein Sodium Sugar
    Oscar Meyer - Bacon - Thick Sliced, 4 skillet cooked slices 240 0 20 16 0 0
    I went as far back as Sept 21 and this is something else you had:
    Sara Lee 100% Honey Wheat Bread - Two Slices, 2 Slices 80 30 1 6 220 4 (for Lunch)
    Sara Lee- 1 Slice - Honey Wheat Bread (Corrected 25 Feb 13), 2 slice 140 26 2 4 190 4 (for dinner)
    That's a big difference...especially when keeping on eye on cals, whether its per meal or as a whole day!
    Don't "throw" away your cals on a simple error like this :frown:
    Good Luck :flowerforyou: You can do it!!
  • jdt242
    jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    hard things take work.

being mediocre takes no effort at all.

I personally refuse to believe that I"m going to spend my time here on earth being a mediocre lump of lazy.
    I hate being hungry all the time- but I want something more than I hate being hungry- so I deal with one to get the other.
    You have to find what you are willing to do and what you are willing to be or not.

If you are okay with that the not part- then you don't need any validation or anything else, but if you want to make changes and be a better person- you're going to have be uncomfortable and push yourself.

No one got better without some pressure- change and good things come from pressure. All things in nature require a catalyst. You either come through the other side or you quit without ever starting.

That's on you. And no one can do anything- change anything- fix or motivate you to change that situation- you have to do it for yourself- with your own *kitten* kicking.

Love this!
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Are you that new person I see every day at gym, who on their first day attempts to run on treadmils, only to
    never be seen again?

Maybe your the person who talks to me about how, you tried every diet and couldnt stick to it?

Am I right?
  • eej2004
    eej2004 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    To be honest and not to sound too cheesy but i don't consider my workouts "work". I enjoy the time to myself, earbuds in and doing my own thing without my job or wife or kids bothering me. I get to clear my head and enjoy some alone time. I also get to look in a mirror and slowly see my abs pop so nope i don't consider it "work" at all.

I totally agree with this! The trick is finding an activity that you enjoy, so it doesn't feel like 'work'. If you hate the treadmill, don't use it! Maybe join a bootcamp class and see if you like that better. Once you find that special activity, you will crave it, and you'll want to do it more often. Another trick is to find someone else that has similar goals to yours, and commit to doing an activity with them. You're less likely to give up and make excuses when you've already committed to it and you risk letting your friend down. Best of luck!
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    my first thought was a mean one it was "suck it up buttercup"
    however
    I have been and at times still am "you"
    I don't wanna is often something I say
    I don't wanna clean
    I don't wanna cut up all the veggies for my meal
    I don't wanna go for that long walk

but I do it
    and I always feel better AFTER I have
    it has gotten to the point now that I get upset if other things in life interfere with me taking a long walk
    it is MY time
    I NEED it
    others gave you great advice and now I'm going to talk to you like I would talk to the 31 yr old me
    DON'T WAIT
    do it now while you are younger
    do it NOW before health problems come into play
    do it NOW while it is an "I want to look better" thing
    rather than an "I need to do this to survive"
    DO IT NOW before diabetes hits you
    DO IT NOW before you are over 40 when it REALLY becomes hard
    you can do this
    set small goals so when you reach them you feel good about yourself and want to do more
    do not set a huge one make it something simple like
    Today I will go for a long walk
    Today I will not eat ___
    today I will drink ____ water
    today I will take my vitamins

whatever your goals are break them up
    yes you have that ultimate goal make yourself a path so getting there seems easier
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. The majority of us wish we could all be healthy and fit and have our "just and perfect weight" without having to do anything but the reality is that's not how it works. Let's face it, we don't obtain a driver's licence by buying one in a store so we can't expect to be healthy, fit, and toned by doing nothing.

I opted to walk to work this morning instead of taking the bus. By having installed an app on my phone, I found out that I walked 2.5 miles and burned 388 calories in 45 minutes - I don't consider the walk work or even a fitness session; I simply see it as going to work or going home. If I end up walking home as well after work today, these numbers gets doubled. Not too shabby for one day.