Hungry and angry

2»

Replies

• Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    I don't think of any food as bad. If I want it I fit it in my daily calories. This really is the only way you can do this over time....like the rest of your life.......
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    I think you'll find most of us will tell you we don't label any foods as "bad" and avoid them. I still eat everything I ate before, just less of it.
    this

+1

I do work hard to hit my micronutrient needs and get plenty of fiber, good fats, and protein, but I also make sure I enjoy what I crave in moderation.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    so you are hangry!!! I live with this everyday!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    If you want to eat it, eat it. If you don't, don't.

Do what makes you happy.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Firstly get your macros set so that you can eat a good amount of carbs, don't even consider going low carb if that's not how you want to eat for life.

Have you heard of intermittent fasting (IF)? One benefit of fasting is that it allows you to eat bigger meals. There are a few different protocols that may fit your lifestyle
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Thanks all. I do try to eat in moderation but ideal portion slices are just too small, 2 slices of bread or 5 tbls of rice is never enough for me, just makes me crave some more and then I get angry:smile: . I wish there was something I could do to stop me loving food so much. I want to enjoy eating healthy but I don't. I have been yoyo dieting for the last 20 years, so I clearly don't have it figured out.

5 tablespoons of rice? one cup of precooked rice is a serving. After cooking it, it's 130 calories. Not too much. and how is 2 slices of bread not enough for you? Put it with other food so you have a whole meal. Some fats, protein and veggies so you are satisfied for the long term. You need to work this out so you understand satiety and don't have a love-hate relationship with carbs.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    There is no "bad" food. Eat the same, only less of it.
  • QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Too much restriction will make you feel defeated, and yes, angry. Losing weight and getting healthier shouldn't be viewed as some sort of punishment or something to suffer thru you know? If you are often hungry you should switch up your approach.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    You can eat everything you like in moderation. I would be angry too if I gave up my pizza and ice cream. Find ways to occasionally work them into your days.

See, this is exactly what killed my diet in the first place. I found that when I tried to eat the junk food in moderation, I just wanted to eat more and more junk food. It's only when I went cold turkey and limited myself to meats, fruits and vegetables and maybe some carbs for sandwiches/pastas etc. But eating what I actually wanted even in moderation didn't work for me at all. I'd suggest, sitting down on a saturday night after you've eaten, and plan every meal for the next week, and keep only the necessary food to make those meals in your house (I literally threw everything else away) and just keeping doing this every week.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Moderation doesn't work for me either. Once I have a taste of something it's all or nothing. I recently started a 100% paleo diet and have to say that after three weeks I have no cravings at all, no urge to binge and I'm completely full and satisfied with each meal or snack. The high protein/fat/veggie combo works for me. It's not for everyone. I haven't had a carb (bread/pasta/rice/sweet) in three weeks and honestly I don't even think about them.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Thanks all. I do try to eat in moderation but ideal portion slices are just too small, 2 slices of bread or 5 tbls of rice is never enough for me, just makes me crave some more and then I get angry:smile: . I wish there was something I could do to stop me loving food so much. I want to enjoy eating healthy but I don't. I have been yoyo dieting for the last 20 years, so I clearly don't have it figured out.

Too small for what? So you want to eat bread. You can probably fit more than 2 slices into your meal plan. Pre-log a day of calories and then see where the wiggle room is. Prioritize the foods you want to make room for. That said, if you only want to eat the whole loaf of bread every day, that's no good; that's binging and you may need to seek a professional to help you with your unhealthy relationship with food.

Try eating your desirable carbohydrates with high-volume veggies, like broccoli, carrots, sprouts, beans, etc. When you're doing eating one serving, reflect. Why do you want to eat more? Are you legitimately hungry? Are you bored watching tv and you just want to have something to put in your mouth while you zone out and watch? Check your diary and see if you have room in your day to have a second serving. If you do, bravo. Eat more. If you don't, you have to burn off the equal number of calories before you can eat more. 1 slice of bread, 1 cup of rice, that's about 90-150 calories. That can easily be burned off in a 15-30 minute walk. Think of it as earning more food.