What's the secret behind weight loss??

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I notice you pick generic entries from the data base like "medium bananas" rather than a weighted value of the item. Are you eyeballing or using a digital food scale to weigh solids? This could help with potential logging errors. Calorie dense items do add up if logged in accurately

I actually don't have a food scale. :(

Time to buy one. You're probably eating a lot more than you think you are.

+1000

Seriously, it's an eye-opening experience.
    Invest in one. They're really not all that expensive and worth every penny. Once you have the scale, your accuracy goes up and your weight goes down.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I notice you pick generic entries from the data base like "medium bananas" rather than a weighted value of the item. Are you eyeballing or using a digital food scale to weigh solids? This could help with potential logging errors. Calorie dense items do add up if logged in accurately

Well, it seems we've found the problem. Go pick up a food scale, they are a tremendous help.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    counting calories is dumb

You're on the wrong site, then.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

Well, it seems we've found the problem. Go pick up a food scale, they are a tremendous help.

This. It's actually dang near impossible to log food (especially meats) accurately without one.
  • fpsmoto
    fpsmoto Posts: 31
    Options
    Just pay attention to what you put in your body, especially processed foods that are high in carbohydrates. The traditional food pyramid has grains, breads, rice, as the foods you should be eating more than any other food groups, but that couldn't actually be further from the truth. Here's a better idea of what humans should be consuming for a healthier lifestyle:

ketofoodpyramid_zps9bd0b8c7.jpg

Before the industrial revolution, think about how often people ate foods high in carbohydrates. Sure, bread and rice was still consumed but nowhere near at the levels we see today. People used to believe that eating fatty foods would make you fatter, and while foods high in saturated or trans fats that might be somewhat true, it is simple sugars or glucose/fructose that are the real killers if consumed in excess.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    When I think about this thread I touch myself....

By putting my fingers to my temple from the headache.

Calorie deficit for weight loss

Macro / micro targets for health. Done. No "sugar causes faaaaat" or "carbs are ebils"

If that were even remotely true.....I would not be where I am today.

Over complicating is why so many people fail weight loss. They think it's some magic pill or magical food formula. No. It's thermodynamics. For health, sure don't eat all your calories in twinkies but you don't have to give them up either. There's this special Grey area in between called moderation where all foods live in peace and harmony on an island called "happiness"
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

stop counting calories................a waste of time. I lost 60 pounds in 2 years. I eat 2800- 4500 calories all the time.

If you think counting calories is a "joke" and a "waste of time" how do you know you are eating 2800-4500 calories a day? Would it be, perhaps, because you were counting your calories? Because if you weren't, you have exactly ZERO idea of how much you were actually eating.

I've seen your posts, sir, and I have to be honest by saying your contributions to the forums have thus been nothing but nonsense, and a detriment to the nutrition community. Please stop your words.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just pay attention to what you put in your body, especially processed foods that are high in carbohydrates. The traditional food pyramid has grains, breads, rice, as the foods you should be eating more than any other food groups, but that couldn't actually be further from the truth. Here's a better idea of what humans should be consuming for a healthier lifestyle:

ketofoodpyramid_zps9bd0b8c7.jpg

Before the industrial revolution, think about how often people ate foods high in carbohydrates. Sure, bread and rice was still consumed but nowhere near at the levels we see today. People used to believe that eating fatty foods would make you fatter, and while foods high in saturated or trans fats that might be somewhat true, it is simple sugars or glucose/fructose that are the real killers if consumed in excess.
    that pyramid is so wrong i dont even know where to start, dont take that as a personal attack by any means there is a lot of misinformation out there and many people get caught in wrong or outdated info please feel free to PM and i can help you out with some nutritional information that is more aqurate or even just point you in the right direction for your own research
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Accuracy is the 2nd part of that secret. Are you weighing all solids? Measuring all liquids? Accurately calculating exercise calories if you eat them back? Actually logging EVERYTHING you put in your mouth? Preparing your own food so you know exactly what you're eating?

i agree with the above. log mints. log sugar-free gum. long diet soda. if it touches your lips, it goes into your log.

what they both said. accuracy is key
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hope you all are doing well. I lost just 0.9 lbs in a month which is kinda disappointing. According to the theory of weight loss, If you create a calorie deficit of 3500 calories/week, you would lose 1 pound. That amounts to around 4lbs in a month. Even though I could create this calorie deficit I lost only little the entire month. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
    On an average, how much have you lost in a month?

What's the secret behind weight loss? No secret. Burn more than you consume.

That said, your photo looks quite beautiful, so I'm not sure why you want to lose weight.

Truth also is that in the decade of your 20's, if you are a woman, you should gain weight. Why? Women come to the peak of their strength at about 30 years. So, in truth, this is a decade where your body should really come to be the best it will ever be.

What's required for this... 1) more than walking.... get active, take up a sport, or go to a gym. Lift weights, or tote things, carry things, just... be active. 2) Eat well. 3) Get enough sleep.

Women are often concerned about what the scale says but if you become more concerned about what your body can do, training it, honing it's physical skills, and just eating normally, in proper amounts, you'll rock and have a body that you can be really proud of.

So, more than creating a calorie deficit, if I were in your shoes, I would place my focus on really living well.

Just my 2 cents. Take a look at this young woman. My guess is that she weighs more than you do. She's very fit.

http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/144lbs-why-female-athletes-should-toss-the-scale-and-get-a-new-perspective
  • queen_in_training
    Options
    how are you creating the deficit ? are you actually eating what you should be and excerising if your starving yourself your body will try and store what do eat. also what are you eating? when your eating are you eatting fatty or highly processed foods, those will be harder on your system and could cause fat storage. I recommend a Whole foods plant based diet

Just...no

OP, I agree with the others...you're most likely underestimating what you're eating and/or overestimating what you're burning.
    just no? do you just no science,whats your reasoning?

at the end of the day, a calorie is a calorie. Eating healthier will make you feel better, but realistically what you eat has little effect on your weight. Your weight is basic calories in calories out.
    Also, it's easy to track what you eat. Not easy to track what you burned. You might be overestimating how much your working out. Good luck:)
  • celtic_thistle
    celtic_thistle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" is a complete myth. There is no such thing as eating too little = gaining weight. Eating 1000 calories a day (I do not recommend it because you will feel exhausted and blah) is going to make you lose a ton of weight. Period.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    My eyes actually hurt from some of the advice given here...*sigh*

Eat less. Weigh everything on a scale, measuring or assuming a size is inaccurate.

Move more.

Don't cheat (I do that a lot, lol)

That's pretty much it.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" is a complete myth. There is no such thing as eating too little = gaining weight. Eating 1000 calories a day (I do not recommend it because you will feel exhausted and blah) is going to make you lose a ton of weight. Period.

Quoted for truth

I'm SO done reading this crap. Just because you're heard it a thousand times, doesn't make it true
  • reganloomis
    reganloomis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow. Hadn't looked at any MFP threads in a really long time...when did the tone get so contentious and mean? This used to be a support site.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hope you all are doing well. I lost just 0.9 lbs in a month which is kinda disappointing. According to the theory of weight loss, If you create a calorie deficit of 3500 calories/week, you would lose 1 pound. That amounts to around 4lbs in a month. Even though I could create this calorie deficit I lost only little the entire month. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

You haven't really told us all that you are doing or where you are at. I always like to know how big someone is to give specific advice.

But for general advice, i'd suggest the secret to weightloss is:
    1. choosing the right sorts of foods (to maximise nutrition and minimise hunger),
    2. not reducing calories too significantly on a daily basis (5:2 fasting when your eat 500 calories per day two days a week is fun and interesting but otherwise, don't rush it),
    3.tons of daily commitment (psychology is a huge part of successful long term weightloss and maintenance and a much overlooked factor),
    4. not relying on exercise for your losses but to focus on diet (i've only just started doing exercise after most of the year being terribly sedentary and being almost at goal, and i'm musing a pedometer to get up to about 10000 steps and just started minimum HIIT skipping see Michael Mosley's exercise video on you tube even you think you know what HIIT is. check out his other video eat fast and live longer).
    5. Daily or weekly weighing and Food logging which you are basically doing here but calorie counting isn't actually necessary if you keep a good food log and weigh daily.

Specifically for you i'd take a guess that the calories you are aiming for daily are too probably too high. You must be very large to be able to lose weight at 1900+ or so or doing a ton of exercise. Quit all the exercise and cut back on your calories accordingly.
    and secondly, your food choices are not great. You are not getting enough protein and you are eating too many dodgy carbs. Its good you are eating vegies though.

I'm pescetarian and try to rely more on vegetarian foods so i know its not easy at first to get your protein up. But you need to find the formula from the net for the right amount of protein for you. look for it now!!! It took me a while to figure it all out.

protein foods to eat more of for vegetarians: chickpeas and lentils and beans, cheese, eggs, milk yoghurt, tofu, Try to get plenty of protein in at each meal. Aim for at least 20grams if you can. Those are the lower fat ones, then add a few nuts and seeds in as well. Don't snack on nuts and seeds. Include them in your meal, ditto cheese. Chuck it in a salad rather than eat it as a chunk on crackers. Anyway you need to prioritise eating more protein. this will naturally help you reduce your bad carbs.

Give up eating biscuits with sugar. Give up sugar. Do not give up fruit. It makes life much easier. Do you have it in your tea. Learn to go without it in your tea and coffee and the rest is easy. You can do it. I've recently persuaded someone else to do this and she confirmed its easy. Just have it with milk.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

You haven't really told us all that you are doing or where you are at. I always like to know how big someone is to give specific advice.

But for general advice, i'd suggest the secret to weightloss is:
    1. choosing the right sorts of foods (to maximise nutrition and minimise hunger),
    2. not reducing calories too significantly on a daily basis (5:2 fasting when your eat 500 calories per day two days a week is fun and interesting but otherwise, don't rush it),
    3.tons of daily commitment (psychology is a huge part of successful long term weightloss and maintenance and a much overlooked factor),
    4. not relying on exercise for your losses but to focus on diet (i've only just started doing exercise after most of the year being terribly sedentary and being almost at goal, and i'm musing a pedometer to get up to about 10000 steps and just started minimum HIIT skipping see Michael Mosley's exercise video on you tube even you think you know what HIIT is. check out his other video eat fast and live longer).
    5. Daily or weekly weighing and Food logging which you are basically doing here but calorie counting isn't actually necessary if you keep a good food log and weigh daily.

Specifically for you i'd take a guess that the calories you are aiming for daily are too probably too high. You must be very large to be able to lose weight at 1900+ or so or doing a ton of exercise. Quit all the exercise and cut back on your calories accordingly.
    and secondly, your food choices are not great. You are not getting enough protein and you are eating too many dodgy carbs. Its good you are eating vegies though.

I'm pescetarian and try to rely more on vegetarian foods so i know its not easy at first to get your protein up. But you need to find the formula from the net for the right amount of protein for you. look for it now!!! It took me a while to figure it all out.

protein foods to eat more of for vegetarians: chickpeas and lentils and beans, cheese, eggs, milk yoghurt, tofu, Try to get plenty of protein in at each meal. Aim for at least 20grams if you can. Those are the lower fat ones, then add a few nuts and seeds in as well. Don't snack on nuts and seeds. Include them in your meal, ditto cheese. Chuck it in a salad rather than eat it as a chunk on crackers. Anyway you need to prioritise eating more protein. this will naturally help you reduce your bad carbs.

Give up eating biscuits with sugar. Give up sugar. Do not give up fruit. It makes life much easier. Do you have it in your tea. Learn to go without it in your tea and coffee and the rest is easy. You can do it. I've recently persuaded someone else to do this and she confirmed its easy. Just have it with milk.

No. You do not need to give up sugar.
  • RoninsMom5
    Options
    Willpower, and self control.
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I used to believe that if I just did enough exercise I could eat anything I wanted. It sort of worked, since if I started to notice a bit of visible weight gain I'd push myself harder with exercise. Curious to see what will happen now that I'm counting calories.

EDIT: wrong thread!